Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

15 minutes ago, weedman said:

The matches are just the bits we see, all the other work training or in the gym etc is what the coaches see and if they aren't doing it they aren't getting picked. 

This idea that if they don't play in games "how can we know how well they'd do" is such a frustrating argument. WE won't know, but THEY will, from training. 

The likes of Bailey excelled in training, did well and forced his way into the team. Just because McGinn is horribly out of form it doesn't mean that the alternatives are only not being picked because the managers an idiot, if they aren't even playing to his level right now that probably says a lot about them tbh. 

There are a lot of sticks to beat Gerrard with, but not playing 2 players that the previous manager also didn't really play isn't one of them 

I could maybe buy this if his decisions on those who are currently in the team and playing were based on performance. Players like Chambers, Luiz and Buendia will probably feel hard done by given that a.) they're performing well when they get the chance and b.) their counterparts who are playing ahead of them are performing poorly. I would imagine performances on the pitch would trump those on the training ground, assuming they even are training poorly (which we also don't know).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jim said:

Nah, that’s far too sensible. Let’s just stick with Gerrard is a clueless clown who is destroying the club and morale.

No actually "they must happy to sit on the bench and not play football because they couldn't secure a move" is way more of a leap than "the manager doesn't rate them". Hardly what I'd call sensible. Occam's razor is always a good rule of thumb. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Have you watched ANY training video on social media or site?

Do you genuinely think he is never at training?

I know it's a general swipe " joke " on here but surely you don't actually believe this?

The option are really; he attend training but have no clue so he get the team selection wrong or he doesn’t attend training and have an excuse for getting the team selection wrong. To be honest I don’t really care why he gets things so badly wrong, the important thing is that he doesn’t get it right and need to be replaced.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jim said:

Nah, that’s far too sensible. Let’s just stick with Gerrard is a clueless clown who is destroying the club and morale.

Well thats whats happening, he is killing this club. You are blindly supporting him as hated Smith for some bizarre reason

Maybe he wasn't a big name like Gerrard/Bruce

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MaVilla said:

we werent much better with Beale, the rot had set in half way through Gerrards tenure last season, its not just this season alone.

I think the fact is, the tactics and formation Gerrard wants to play, are sh** regardless of who coaches it, these tactics might work if you are peak Liverpool, but defo not Villa for where we are right now.

Funnily enough, i remember when Klopp first joined Liverpool, when he implemented this tactic they were leaking goals left, right and centre, i remember people questioning his tactic saying "they dont have the players to play like they are, its suicidal", but over a couple of windows they went out and bought a few world class players, which allowed the tactic to work.

We dont have that luxury.

Results were much better. We were 9th in the form table

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Have you watched ANY training video on social media or site?

Do you genuinely think he is never at training?

I know it's a general swipe " joke " on here but surely you don't actually believe this?

I think he is at training. 

But I think he just observes and not actively coach. 

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Results were much better. We were 9th in the form table

better initially yes, but iirc it was notable that his average PPG peaked right at the start, and has basically dropped ever since, really started to drop off about half way through his tenure last season, and continued to do so.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I can see Villa getting the win against Southampton for all to be rosy again in the eyes of Purslow and NSWE.

Whether we agree or not I'm almost certain they will give Gerrard more time until the end of this season.

I for one hope he succeeds but he needs to start keeping it simple and ditch this moronic formation and tactics. 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with conventional full backs and wide players will be best for our squad. 

The two number tens can work but we need to defend high so that players can cover each other. 

42 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

But what if we win????

It's a weird one as I want us to win, but I don't want us to be in a situation where we win a game, some pressure is off Gerrard, then lose a couple and the pressure is back on, then win the next etc.

I don't want us to be in a situation where Gerrard does just enough to keep his job each week, we plod along for the season, and it becomes another wasted year.

I can't see him delivering the ambition of the owners, but I don't know at what point the owners will step in and push Purslow to make the call that he probably would have made already if Gerrard wasn't his mate.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

It's a weird one as I want us to win, but I don't want us to be in a situation where we win a game, some pressure is off Gerrard, then lose a couple and the pressure is back on, then win the next etc.

I don't want us to be in a situation where Gerrard does just enough to keep his job each week, we plod along for the season, and it becomes another wasted year.

I can't see him delivering the ambition of the owners, but I don't know at what point the owners will step in and push Purslow to make the call that he probably would have made already if Gerrard wasn't his mate.

Sounds like you would like to see some consistency and us to string together some good performances.

Don't we all.

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Sounds like you would like to see some consistency and us to string together some good performances.

Don't we all.

Of course.

The issue could be that if we don't see that consistency, but Gerrard is deemed to be doing "just enough", then it'll be a wasted season.

• Like 3

Â