Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

29 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I haven’t seen a Villa Manager get so much press on a potential sacking like this.

Percy, Talksport ect..

The damning thing is that they are not just questioning the results but his ability to coach,  team selection and disharmony in the dressing room.

The writing is very much on the wall.. 

He could be gone next week Monday..

If it's bad on Wednesday night I could see him gone on Thursday.

Can we please make the new way of stating the fans dissatisfaction with a Villa manager as people holding up pictures of cabbages? Large numbers of pictures of cabbages in the crowd sends a clear message, is in no way physically threatening to the manager and adds a little humour to a sad situation. It also avoids wasting food.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

there's parallels with Bruce's level of coaching ;)

what I find hard to believe is Gerrard played for some top managers and coaches, in really well coached teams. How the **** does he look at what we do daily at bodymoor and think it's ok if the results are like they are? You'd think he'd know what top level conditioning looks like, he would have seen Klopp work too. The mind boggles.

This could be misconstrued as a sort of defence for Gerrard but it’s really meant as just a musing -

I remember a story about a manager, it might have been on here - I think it was either Zola at small heath or Hoddle at Wolves. 

Anyway in training the manager would get the players to practice something like 40 yard passes accurately, try and hit a cone, whatever. The manager, being a formerly talented player himself, could still do it but couldn’t understand why the players he inherited struggled. 

Basically I wonder whether there is just a fundamental disconnect with what Gerrard thinks can be achieved with what’s at his disposal, both with the players he has and the abilities he has himself. A sort of “Well this wasn’t a problem for us back in 2005…” style reasoning. 

Not fully grasping that the players by and large can’t be as good as the ones he used to play with (or play in the way he thinks they should) and that he’s not as good as his own former managers.

And maybe the current squad have realised the situation.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

10 minutes ago, romavillan said:

what I find hard to believe is Gerrard played for some top managers and coaches, in really well coached teams. How the **** does he look at what we do daily at bodymoor and think it's ok if the results are like they are? You'd think he'd know what top level conditioning looks like, he would have seen Klopp work too. The mind boggles.

I have an inkling managers just let Gerrard concentrate on what he was good at and wouldn't necessarily overload him with the tactical and technical side.  They'd partner him with the likes of Alonso or Mascherano for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bose said:

Bandwagon? Come on. How have you come to that conclusion? In Percy’s case he’s clearly got inside scoop from the club. Then we have the facts on the pitch and the results under him as well.

With some comments, yes.

Like I said, some have some legitimate claims, some are not......Some are claiming its because Beale has gone, but he presided over 12 defeats too....its a myth.

No one can, defend the results....but some of the reasons put forward are questionable IMO

Sacking the manager is easy......getting someone to turn this squad around without new players, might not be.

what's the song going to be at (presumably) southampton home game though? he's not been here long enough to develop a catchphrase

under bruce it was "we'll be there, we'll be there, we'll be there or thereabouts"

maybe just a simple (to the tune of 'ere we go):

"it's on you, it's on you, it's on you"

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

Started season aiming for Europe , so I don't think getting a result against one of the few teams below us is going to be enough. I don't think we will beat City or Arsenal but worse I suspect one or both is going to batter us inflicting more of a confidence hit on a team that looks all over the place as it is .

We have been here so many times as Villa fans there is no coming back for SG at this point

Correct - Gerrard is not coming back from this . 

Lets face it. 32 league games in and i cannot remember many outstanding performances or wins 

The 4 nil against Southampton was their worst game of the season and we should have won by more .  Maybe the 3 nil against a Leeds team and crowd totally demorolised. Or the 3 1 against Burnley.

But other than that very very little . 

Just occasionally plucky halves of play where we were good but not good enough and ended up losing. Not whole games of good play. Just halves.

Even Graham Taylor back in 2003 gave us some good performances.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Didn’t realise we were playing Wednesday Saturday, I pray the reason we haven’t heard anything is because we’re giving him til 18.30 Saturday to turn it around.

i don't see us sacking him at half time. they'll at least let him finish the game ;)

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Thing is though,  Gerrard was instinctive,  inspirational,  all-action as a player. I'm not sure tactical awareness, positional discipline etc. were ever notable strengths. I found him  frustrating  to watch as a player - extremely talented and at times unstoppable, but prone to too many "look at me" Hollywood passes and too prepared to sacrifice the shape of the team to try and look good. I was prepared to believe there would be a bit more substance to him  as a manager, that  he'd be a little bit more astute.  But it appears not, the ego is still firmly in  control.

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sacking the manager is easy......getting someone to turn this squad around without new players, might not be.

That may be, but do you honestly believe he still could turn things around? 

1 minute ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Thing is though,  Gerrard was instinctive,  inspirational,  all-action as a player. I'm not sure tactical awareness, positional discipline etc. were ever notable strengths. I found him  frustrating  to watch as a player - extremely talented and at times unstoppable, but prone to too many "look at me" Hollywood passes and too prepared to sacrifice the shape of the team to try and look good. I was prepared to believe there would be a bit more substance to him  as a manager, that  he'd be a little bit more astute.  But it appears not, the ego is still firmly in  control.

Some have pointed out that SG spent his whole playing career under relatively conservative managers at Liverpool (Benitez, Hodgson, Dalglish et c) which could explain his old-school views. He hasn’t really been exposed to much in the way of modern tactics.

Â