Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

32 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But he don't play this system. he likes a narrow formation, playing through the middle. There is a reason we have no wingers.

Is this even remotely true though? When did we try play through the middle yesterday. We get it out wide and can’t do anything with it. One of the funniest things about it all is he talks about needing special players to create special chances and he’s got one of the best through ball players in the league sat on his bench. Complete and utter idiot 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding @JAMAICAN-VILLAN, don't want an argument.

Don't want an argument either.

Shite mood combined with shite vibes at Villa resulting in exasperation and lack of effort/motivation in trying to further expound on what I'm trying to say.

Don't take it personal, just tired.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

20 percent win rate in the last 15 . The only wins versus Norwich Burnley and Everton. Who all played extremely poorly vs us. 

The media are starting to really question him now. The booing has started. And he is making extremely poor tactical decisions and substitutions. This is the end make no mistake. 

The days of just buying good players and then winning are long gone. Its about coaching now. It is about identity . A well coached team of supposedly inferior players will always be more of a match to some really good players unable to carry out a flawed system of play. 

Ii have a question as well. Has Gerrard let Coutinho down or has Coutinho let Gerrard down. ? 

A real shame but it is obvious there is nothing to be gained by keeping him in situ and hoping things will change.  If you look at it closely you can see no obvious reason to keep him. No excitement  no style of play  rocky defence and misfiring front line. 

I magine being Kamara now. By making the choice to come to us he has blown his World Cup chances. He had fallen for the ambition and probably private top 6 top 8 aims . Just like i did. 

Purlsow has to do the hard thing now. Start sounding out managers in readiness for the international break so he can replace him. 

Forest might have lost yesterday but with a whole new squad they have been instantly able to introduce a recognisable style of play . 

• Like 2

I think the equation is a simple one for NSWE .... Aston Villa minus Gerrard equals survival in the Premier League. Our owners are professional businessmen who will not endanger their investment for the sake of one man. 

The Gerrard experiment has failed on the pitch, but worked as a project to raise Villa's profile considerably over the past nine months. It's served it's purpose if it ends now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Is this even remotely true though? When did we try play through the middle yesterday. We get it out wide and can’t do anything with it. One of the funniest things about it all is he talks about needing special players to create special chances and he’s got one of the best through ball players in the league sat on his bench. Complete and utter idiot 

Thank you for this 🙏

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

That’s quite a big call  tbh with you I feel  - I don’t recall much if any support for McLeish, he was well and truly done going into the Norwich game, probably the Bolton game was the one that really signalled the end for him there wasn’t any turning things around - I see lots of similarities in how the Bruce, tenure ended and I see these in Gerrard now to be truthful with you. 

Possibly, my memory may be failing me with McLeish. Bruce definitely still had some supporters before he was sacked.

Either way, the point is that there is a massive amount of pressure on Gerrard for someone that has been in the job for such a short time

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

20 percent win rate in the last 15 . The only wins versus Norwich Burnley and Everton. Who all played extremely poorly vs us. 

The media are starting to really question him now. The booing has started. And he is making extremely poor tactical decisions and substitutions. This is the end make no mistake. 

The days of just buying good players and then winning are long gone. Its about coaching now. It is about identity . A well coached team of supposedly inferior players will always be more of a match to some really good players unable to carry out a flawed system of play. 

Ii have a question as well. Has Gerrard let Coutinho down or has Coutinho let Gerrard down. ? 

A real shame but it is obvious there is nothing to be gained by keeping him in situ and hoping things will change.  If you look at it closely you can see no obvious reason to keep him. No excitement  no style of play  rocky defence and misfiring front line. 

I magine being Kamara now. By making the choice to come to us he has blown his World Cup chances. He had fallen for the ambition and probably private top 6 top 8 aims . Just like i did. 

Purlsow has to do the hard thing now. Start sounding out managers in readiness for the international break so he can replace him. 

Forest might have lost yesterday but with a whole new squad they have been instantly able to introduce a recognisable style of play . 

If his name wasn’t Steve Gerrard, he would be gone by now…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think the equation is a simple one for NSWE .... Aston Villa minus Gerrard equals survival in the Premier League. Our owners are professional businessmen who will not endanger their investment for the sake of one man. 

The Gerrard experiment has failed on the pitch, but worked as a project to raise Villa's profile considerably over the past nine months. It's served it's purpose if it ends now.

Has it though?

Or has he brought a magnifying glass above a pile of stinking turd?

Jack Grealish increased our profile infinitely more than Slippy.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Don't want an argument either.

Shite mood combined with shite vibes at Villa resulting in exasperation and lack of effort/motivation in trying to further expound on what I'm trying to say.

Don't take it personal, just tired.

No worries mate! I'm feeling the exact same as you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

If his name wasn’t Steve Gerrard, he would be gone by now…

I listened to the pod you've been recommending , in bed,.last night.

Couldn't sleep, as you're correct, even with the doom, they are bloody hilarious. Couldn't help but laugh ffs.

*Crylaugh

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

32 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Fair point, but I'd like a new strong 6/8 type player who can add some physical edge and athleticism. I think the wide forward is now key so we can ditch the full backs providing the width

Sorry but I think you are in dreamland if you think that wide forwards will ever be part of Gerrard’s tactics just never going to happen, he would look to replace the full backs before bringing bringing in wide forwards, just look at the players he has let go either out on loan or permanent deals. Bailey is fortunate he can play narrower or I’m sure he’d be off to.

Briefly listened into Talksport last night when they were debating Gerrard and to be fair the presenter was making the case for Gerrard being a disaster as were most of the callers, although a few still seemed  to think Gerrard shouldn't go just yet.  And there was the guest, Anton Ferdinand, saying "he needs to be given more time" and proceeded to blabber on in such a way as to make Gabby sound like Einstein. 

He's had almost 40 games, two transfer windows, a full pre-season and numerous lessons in what doesn't work.  Yet he changes little or nothing and hopes it will work eventually.  How is more time stubbornly applying the same failed tactics, shape and personnel, making the same brainless mistakes, and refusing to try something different going to make a difference?  Except to see us even lower in the table than we are now?  If nearly 40 games isn't enough for the penny to drop, another 6 or 8 really isn't going to help.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Survival? I imagine if they get rid of Gerrard in the next week the vision and remit for a new manager is still going to be top 10.

It’s fair to say we don’t expect much from the next two games with or without Gerrard.

It is a different story about Leicester and Southampton, our squad is good enough to get something from those two games.

If Gerrard is still in charge it is very likely he would make similar mistakes he have done this season, and we lose both of them.

That will mean we go into the international break with 3 points after 8 games, and that will be a disaster. In number that is 0.375 points per game and an estimated total of 14 points after 38 games.

That is why it is important to sack Gerrard sooner than later, to at least have an interim manager before the Leicester game.

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Gerrard should be sacked immediately, Critchley can take the shoeings Arsenal and Citeh will hand out, we can spend the next fortnight trying to convince someone who is actually a manager to come in and do a reinvention and revitalisation.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Steven Gerrard has been in charge of Aston Villa for 31 Premier League games earning a total of 38 points. In Dean Smith's final 31 Premier League games for Aston Villa he earned 36 points. 🖊️

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Serious question. With the squad he inherited and the backing he recieved why was it not an easy job or a quick fix? What was so difficult? 

If the job were easy, SG would be getting it right. If the job were easy, any of us could do it.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There are some very simple things we could do to be better, which i don't feel even require a coaching badge.

This is what damns SG. Maybe none of us could get it right, but we can all see things that he persists in doing wrong.

Â