Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If he really did veto the Sarr deal because he dosen't want to change to 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 this guy is simply going to sabotage the season.

Please get him out soon.

Again. There’s zero evidence of this. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Smith’s PL record with us:

87 games, 28 wins, 16 draws, 43 losses. 110 goals scored, 133 goals conceded. In total, 100 points averaging 1.15 ppm. 

Gerrard’s so far: 

30 games, 11 wins, 5 draws, 14 losses. Goals scored 41, 40 conceded. In total, 38 points, with a 1.27 ppm. 

Its not a fair comparison as the big difference is squad quality. Smith's first PL season was with a first XI that included El Ghazi for example. I don't think Gerrard's points per game would be higher than Dean's if he had those players in a season. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Its not a fair comparison as the big difference is squad quality. Smith's first PL season was with a first XI that included El Ghazi for example. I don't think Gerrard's points per game would be higher than Dean's if he had those players in a season. 

It cuts both ways: would Gerrard perform better with Grealish? 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

It cuts both ways: would Gerrard perform better with Grealish? 

It's a team game.  Although Gerrard may perform better with Grealish in the side, it can't be denied that the squad we have now is far better than the one we had in our first season. That should equate to better performances in comparison. 

Just now, TRO said:

Well, at least the stepping stone, theory to Liverpool is dead and buried.....so much for that prediction.

I'd love a manager to come here as a stepping stone to a so called bigger club , to do that he would need to be great with us .Every Manger we have had since I have supported us bar GT going to England as steped down after us ..

• Like 2

Just now, Nabby said:

I'd love a manager to come here as a stepping stone to a so called bigger club , to do that he would need to be great with us .Every Manger we have had since I have supported us bar GT going to England as steped down after us ..

Agree, it's pretty telling.

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

It's a team game.  Although Gerrard may perform better with Grealish in the side, it can't be denied that the squad we have now is far better than the one we had in our first season. That should equate to better performances in comparison. 

That I can agree with. What’s clear form both managers is our defensive weakness. We drop too many points from winning positions or draws into defeats. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just as a follow up, this was in the replies.

First of all, I don’t know if that is correct. I guess it seems about right.

This would lend credence to the argument his supporters might put forward that Gerrard has had the players performing to roughly what they’re capable of (midtable-ish). 

However, the trajectory we’re on I feel puts us much closer to the bottom half of that table and in a month’s time, I wouldn’t be shocked to see us third from bottom keeping Southampton and Everton company.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

The problem is that almost a third of those points were won in his first four games. Since then it seems that the more he gets to stamp his own ideas on the squad, sign players he wants etc. the worse that we get.

Sadly I think you're right, the longer he stays we're likely to find ourselves slipping towards a relegation battle

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Has the smug we told you so ridiculing of those that ‘supported’ our manager not ended yet?

Supporting the manager doesn't necessitate shouting down or mocking the opinions of people with concerns on a daily basis. It's not that surprising people with those opinions may feel vindicated, even if they are going through the same misery watching us be shit as everyone else, albeit they spotted the signs earlier.

Considering how often you seem to want to instigate the arguments again, it's unlikely to ever die.

• Like 4

Just now, duke313 said:

I think he has 5, not including the Bolton game.  That would take him up to the international break.

That I agree with. I hope he can turn it around, but equally, we need to be ruthless when needed.  

I’m concerned that SG is more than happy with his midfield 3 (hasn’t even played Luiz - McGinn and JJ seem to be mainstays) and is not even aware of what our real issues are. He’s not changing nor trying to change anything that could positively impact the team. He hasn’t a clue, no idea what his system, style of play or best team/players are.

Can’t see any other scenario than McGinn never being dropped and continuing to be adored by SG while he is here… appointing him as captain was a massive mistake and we will continue to pay the price for it. The manager is out of his depth and so is the captain, what a sad state of affairs 🤦‍♂️

I can’t see any other solution than to get rid. Can’t see any other way in which things are going to change and we should finally see some positive differences then… some actual bloody coaching too!

If I’m resigning myself to the fact that we will be sticking with him for a while (despite how bad things are) then the only thing that would give me hope is bringing in a powerful midfielder who would walk into the team and make a big impact - I can’t see it but, as ever, I’m open to being surprised.

He’s failed to change a thing or address any issues in this decline, it’s a massive concern. I genuinely believe he has no clue and is not a proper manager or coach. He leans too heavily on his assistant and I suspect that any decent performances in the past or early days were a combination of “new manager bounce” and just down to how Beale wanted to set the team up. Remember how we closed distances initially? How the midfield started to perform better and start stringing a few passes together? Well, what (has) happened since? I just think all the words from him were just relayed from his assistant and his intentions… the guy doesn’t even seem capable of thinking for himself! Why does he have such a large team and why did he retain the pathetic club appointments? What does HE actually do?!

SG’s deviated from (or is incapable of implementing) whatever Beale was doing and now Critchley will have his own ideas… 

I find it crazy that we are paying him so handsomely for essentially being a spokesperson… my ire toward him continues to grow because nothing is changing and he continues to spout hollow words.

I had said that I’d love to be proved wrong but my belief and faith is declining every day and all I can see is doom and disaster under this guy - the only solution appears to be to remove him and bring in someone who is actually competent!

And for any dumbass who claims anyone is being smug or taking a “told you so attitude” you can stick that back up your arse! We are fans of this club, we want to see it succeed and enjoy following it and enjoy positive performances and results. When that is not happening and there is no hope nor any signs of positive change… then how the hell do you expect fans to react other than with anger and frustration? 

Think of the away fans who spend so much of their hard earned cash on long trips and take out the time and hassle to follow a team that is severely letting them down… are you going to call them smug? What are they getting in return?!!

We are hurt and upset… we want to see our club doing well.

And it doesn’t look like that is ever going to happen under this manager.

All the evidence has been out there on that pitch for ages now…

Not so long ago (under the previous manager) things were going well. There was a connection and positive atmosphere… all the previous damage has been repaired and you felt pride and happiness in supporting and following the club.

That’s all gone now… thrown away for whatever this shower of shite is…

This pathetic excuse for a manager.

It’s absolutely terrible. Unacceptable.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Next 5-6 games will decide Gerrard’s fate one way or the other. 

In some respects, it should be the West Ham game that is definitive. If NSWE have real ambition, then West Ham will be one of the clubs we are looking to leapfrog. If we lose - with the same lack of cohesion we lost with at Palace - then Gerrard should be fearing the worst. New guy will get a free hit with Arsenal and Man City.

Â