Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Of the 11 Rangers starters in the Europa League final tonight against Eintracht, 9 were brought in by Gerrard and 2 were retained by him from the previous manager.

Of the 6 Rangers subs, 4 were brought in by Gerrard, 2 were brought in last winter transfer window after he left. (One of the 2 that wasn’t his, Aaron Ramsey, missed the penalty that cost them the match.)

Laugh all you want about the Scottish league, but a team overwhelmingly recruited by Gerrard made it to a European final and came within a penalty of winning. I think we would take that at this stage of our progress. And I'm inclined to trust him with recruiting.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, TomC said:

Of the 11 Rangers starters in the Europa League final tonight against Eintracht, 9 were brought in by Gerrard and 2 were retained by him from the previous manager.

Of the 6 Rangers subs, 4 were brought in by Gerrard, 2 were brought in last winter transfer window after he left. (One of the 2 that wasn’t his, Aaron Ramsey, missed the penalty that cost them the match.)

Laugh all you want about the Scottish league, but a team overwhelmingly recruited by Gerrard made it to a European final and came within a penalty of winning. I think we would take that at this stage of our progress. And I'm inclined to trust him with recruiting.

You've just lit the fuse for a reignition if the circular argument.

Be prepared to hear that he had nothing to do with it, GVB has done a superior job on his own, Taken X years to win a weak League in a 2 horse race etc.

Analysis of why he couldn't get them to a final in addition to the everyday musings.

Why lhave you done this? 😂

I already commented in the match thread, that had they won it, it would have been another intense round.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Be prepared to hear that he had nothing to do with it, GVB has done a superior job on his own, Taken X years to win the League in a 2 horse race.

Analysis of why he couldn't get them to a final in addition to the everyday musings.

I already commented in the match thread, that had they won it, it would have been another intense round.

True, we've heard it all before, but I do think that it merits pointing it out now that Rangers have now succeeded in Europe, not just in Scotland. (If you already said that, sorry, but I can't possibly keep up with every post in this thread.)

And to be clear, I was talking about the recruitment end of it. The anti-SG brigade often says that we can't trust SG with recruitment because if we fire him after next season, we'll be stuck with his players. Well, clearly you can make something of his players...Van Bronckhorst did...

OK, circular argument, what's one more round...😀

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Be prepared to hear that he had nothing to do with it, GVB has done a superior job on his own, Taken X years to win a weak League in a 2 horse race etc.

I don't get why you are so concerned about what other people post. 

Sure Stevie G isn't loved by a quota of villa fans - but I'm pretty sure he doesn't read these forums. What's said on here really doesn't matter a jot. It's the modern equivalent of discussing villa matters in a boozer.

There's no evidence fans are about to desert the club en mass 

The only fan thing that may be a concern to Stevie G is the flat matchday atmosphere.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sure Stevie G isn't loved by a quota of villa fans - but I'm pretty sure he doesn't read these forums. What's said on here really doesn't matter a jot. It's the modern equivalent of discussing villa matters in a boozer.

The only fan thing that may be a concern to Stevie G is the flat matchday atmosphere.

This sentiment goes for everything we discuss on here to be fair, but we still do it and get equally wound up about it everyday. Lol

My point was more that, I'd prefer for us to move.onto other things than to have our groundhog day exchanges everyday.

Also, we care about what other fans say by default, as we are all on the same.community interacting, which is  kind of the point.

As you said, and I've said in the past, it's like banter/arguing over football in the pub with your mates.

I can't wait for the transfer window to open!

49 minutes ago, TomC said:

No way Gerrard gets them that far, he has bottled it vs every big team at Villa, the Arsenal game was McLeish shit

Rangers vs Dortmund he would have pissed himself 

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, hippo said:

There's always going to be concern about what other people post. That's usually what creates a fiery debate

What is said on here matters quite a bit to some, at times. Otherwise, why bother with a fans forum?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Totally loving the comment by SG to a reporter who had the temerity to say we have nothing to play for.

Shutting the haters up, for one.

God maybe SG could have said the same to the players in February since some he keeps playing seem on the beach already 

Think Gerrard has basically delivered a par performance this season. Not spectacular, but not awful.

We’ve generally turned over the teams below us in the table, and struggled to take points off the teams above us.

Whether he ends the season with two losses or two defeats, that won’t really affect that, although 4+ points from the remaining games would be a big confidence boost.

Happy to see the club back him in the summer with a couple of big signings and a couple of squad reinforcements. Then it’s on him to show some progress.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I mean. It does sort of nullify the you need a pre season (and a squad of your own players) and a summer window thing to impart your ideas. Previously, people spoke about Tuchel here and shouted down as the Chelsea squad is world class. Rangers have massively over achieved beating Dortmund and Leipzig  along the way 😁

Given the two CVs on a table prior to the Gerrard appointment I'd have plumped for his successor as Head Coach here! Given them since, point stands! 

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Think Gerrard has basically delivered a par performance this season. Not spectacular, but not awful.

We’ve generally turned over the teams below us in the table, and struggled to take points off the teams above us.

Whether he ends the season with two losses or two defeats, that won’t really affect that, although 4+ points from the remaining games would be a big confidence boost.

Happy to see the club back him in the summer with a couple of big signings and a couple of squad reinforcements. Then it’s on him to show some progress.

I readily accept, that managers have to be able to manage what they have, and get better performances from them.

What I find difficult to accept, is that when you have a situation, like ours with modest quality at CDM, and this position organised properly is the kernel of the teams operation and where the leadership usually derives from.....its going to be streaky, until we get one.

I finally have confidence the club see's it as a priority and the manager is keen to have the role tied down.

As an example.....We have been replacing spark plugs, when it was brake pads we needed, hence the signings have been good, but in the wrong place to maximise the teams performances.....its taken some time to get this right, for whatever reasons.

I feel round pegs in round holes and this team could be very good, and some of the players we have had doubts about, could surprise us.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If it goes balls up, I'd actually seriously consider Thomas Frank, if I'm honest.

If we stay on the younger but high ceiling/potential train.

With regards to rest of post, different teams, different scenarios and variables etc.

I think he has done an excellent job, in transforming the stature of the team and making them harder to play against....a few seasons ago they were attractive to watch, but streaky....that style would have had them relegated.....He has transformed them well.

However, They are very cute at recruitment......and getting their managers, does not always equate fully, because it leaves a bit behind and recruitment has been key for them.

The way they sold Ollie Watkins and Benrahma and never batted an eye lid, bringing in Ivan Toney was seamless.....in contrast, we are still missing Jacks ball control and ball retention.

Recruitment is a massive part of any teams success and they do it well, as do a few other clubs.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me how people choose bits of information to support their narrative.

When it comes to Gerrard he inherited a squad that had plateaued and wasn’t going to take the step to challenge Celtic. He did that and won the league undefeated, while making the last 16 of the Europa League, the virtual same squad take the next step and make a final the following season.

While some will argue changes should happen immediately, the realty is it takes a minimum of 12 months for coaches to get athletes to develop to their training methodologies and on from this they should continue to grow and improve as more layers around tactics and individual responsibility is developed.

But yeah, let’s make our mind up after 6 months….

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hippo said:

Wait! Are you telling me that I should be drinking whilst on this website? 🤦

• Haha 1

Â