Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just an insight in to Stevens first 20 games with Rangers v Aston Villa

Bearing in mind the standard of competition between the 2 leagues.

These are league games only:

Rangers -

won - 11

Draw- 6

Lost 3

Aston Villa

Won - 8

Draw -2

Lost- 10

Now its clear that we have lost too many games, no arguments there....but the wins are not as sparse as I would have thought, sure we could/should have turned some of our losses in to Draws at least.

I guess folk will glean what they want from that.....Personally, I am still well on board with the appointment....while at the same time, disappointed in how many games this team has lost under both managers, this season.

I am absolutely convinced this team as a unit/balance, is largely responsible for these losses, under both managers......When I say that, I accept managers as I understand, are hugely responsible for assembling those same players, so they have to take responsibility for that part.

Steven Gerrard has an opportunity this summer under our owners to make his mark on this team, if he gets the players he wants, then it is all down to him, hereon in.

In the meantime, I am fully behind him.

16 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Yes, they had it all. Interestingly I was dubious over Saunders’ appointment at the time but how wrong I was. Remind you of things now?

I think Steven Gerrard in time will have us playing with more intensity, a higher workrate and a desire, similar to those days.

Ron Saunders was not a popular signing at the time.....We was in one of those ruts, where it was one uninspiring mananger after another and Ron was as dour as they come....but how wrong was we.

Ron had one very under rated maxim at the centre of his footballing philosophy....Workrate......his mantra was 110% workrate as his tongue in cheek line as you know....but everything he did attack, midfield, defence, centred around those principles.

He had players who could play that way, he bought prudently.

I think Steven needs players too, who can play his way, and I see many traits in him ( not all) but some, that are similar to Ron....They both don't suffer fools gladly, and both put huge emphasis on Work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Matt Target thread is here

The Leicester pre-match thoughts thread is here

Team selection and tactics discussion is here

If your post is not primarily about Steven Gerrard, but is about another topic, in the main, DO NOT POST IT IN HERE, while more appropriate threads exist (or can be created). Thank you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dale said:

But Gerrard's tactics aren't about workrate, we don't press high, we drop into shape. Gerrard isn't going to create a gegenpress or Bielsa type hard work team. It's not what he's attempted here. We pressed higher and with more intensity under Dean. 

Did you watch the first 45 against Spurs? or the Southampton Game.....we are inconsistent granted.

Steven Gerrard is playing with another managers team, to the best of his ability.....I too thought we would bring in players this January like Newcastle have done, but maybe the powers that be wanted to wait until the summer, so he continues with what he's got.

Its still primarily Deans Team...and I disagree, the best we could hope for was a semi press......who do think was pressing under Dean?, we haven't got the players comfortable with pressing....but I don't want to get in to discussing Dean, in this thread

Gerrard needs the players who can be instructed to play his way.....right now, its not happening granted.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Dale said:

I mean we'd won three premier league games before he arrived in the first ten. And the last two games of last season. And won in the EFL Cup. So this isn't quite right. 

But. On Gerrard, I believe the way he sets the team up is driving the results, rather than form. We're too easy to play against on the counter. 

I was referring to Everton before Lampard came in. Our form was nowhere near that, even if you extrapolate the much exaggerated 2021 "run". 

• Like 1

I think Steven Gerrard is a limited manager. I think he does not have the quality for top level management and is being found out. Like Tim Sherwood.

I think his career will follow the same trajectory.

I could be very wrong, but that's how I see this going at the moment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, YLN said:

I think Steven Gerrard is a limited manager. I think he does not have the quality for top level management and is being found out. Like Tim Sherwood.

There are many more Sherwood's that Klopps or Guardiolas. 

Some of the people side of the job concerns me, the public questioning of Mings captaincy, some selections, the hanging people out publicly. Its all a bit old school, and the world has moved on. The Terry stuff on Dean and his man management of a player that JT wanted to dig out - that's what you want. 

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not even that, he's taken an excerpt from the video, and chopped it up how he wants it, for it to sound like the bloke is an idiot.

I just watched that whole episode last night, and thought to myself " The only way you can take negatives from this, is if you want to ".

In some instances I reckon he was painfully honest, with some things you know people will further use against him.

Such as admitting that he knows he's not a " great manager " and that there are " levels " but is constantly learning and wants to improve, just like when he was a player etc 

Anyway was a good watch .

Really good watch, in a lot of ways he's a really good fit for us at the moment. Which makes it all the more frustrating given all the right noises from him and his staff about how they want to play, coach etc. that we're not seeing it enough on the pitch. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, YLN said:

I think he will probably admit that himself, hence the importance of his coaches.

maybe he will grow with us, like the younger players, maybe thats the plan, 

If instant gratification was what some of us wanted.....maybe he is the wrong manager.....maybe some fans as old as me, might agree with you, for obvious reasons.

On 19/04/2022 at 10:56, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't think people are referring to his grammar, punctuation and literature skills when they say this. lol

They are probably referring to how natural, honest and sturdy he comes across, as well as having some banter.

Modern " British " Footballers, Managers and Footballing English isn't good in the first place to begin with.

I think he speaks very well.... for a scouser... 😆

• Like 3

I really really really want him to do well and I’ll support him. But I deep down feel he is Tim Sherwood Mk 2. Funnily enough I never disliked Sherwood as much as so many people do on here so maybe I’ll find myself cutting Gerrard some slack. Sherwood actually did alright with an absolutely garbage setup. Gerrard is doing meh with a meh set up. 

• Like 1

Gerrard came from managing in the Scottish league where your only concern is Celtic. To managing in the premier league where the league is that more competitive. Many a manager has talked the talk but ultimately failed. 

We have ask the question would we be in the same position if we kept Smith? 

Gerrard has come in and changed the way the team plays, it's not working, but there is no plan B/C/D. He is limited as a manager, but this is inexperience, he still has to learn and this is why the premier league is so brutal to new managers. Will he be a fraud like Sherwood? 

Maybe it's a lack of work ethic by some of the players. This is why Gerrard throws the players under the bus. Smith bought players for the system he wanted to play, these don't fit with the way Gerrard wants to play, so square pegs in round holes. Some players probably don't want to play that way.. 

My only concen is finishing 16/17th. This won't help with the summer window, why would the likes of Bissouma want to come to us? We will not be challenging Europe next season, it is always 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Going to be another rebuild if Gerrard stays as he needs players that will play the way he wants. 

Paper talk surrounding us with Suarez, yes our attack does lack bite but he is really what we need? Lazy journalism.

All a bit strange how the media on one hand are claiming that Gerrard wants us to play like Liverpool while at the same time keep linking us with players like Suarez, Wijnaldum and a permanent move for Coutinho.

How do they get those equations to work? Coutinho has never had pressing as his forte and the 21/22 versions of Suarez & Wijnaldum certainly doesn't either, at least not for many minutes per game. They have other qualities of course.

Gerrard is a clever boy, he knows that playing like Liverpool takes more than just having attacking full backs. So surely we won't be going after players who are so terribly suited to play in a high tempo, high press Liverpool style?

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

Â