Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Even if you give him a pass for today. We've lost 4 on the bounce and 7 from the last 10. ....

Any of those on him ?

Yes, as I’ve said previously. There are matches when he’s got it wrong, things I’ve not been pleased with but I’m not someone who is just going to pile on someone constantly because I’ve decided I don’t like them.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

I hate to say it but I think he needs to turn our form around fast otherwise he will be in danger of losing his job, it's naive to believe that our owners will keep him after this season no matter what, we're entering such a crucial stage in our plans that we need to make as sure as possible that we have the right manger to oversee our plans, or at least to make sure we haven't got the wrong manager.

If we have a rubbish end to the season I just can't see Edens and Sawiris standing for it no regardless of how much people might think Gerrard is safe no matter what because he's Purslow's friend or whatever.

Not expecting miracles as squad isn't great, but it's not rubbish either, so I think we need to show at least midtable form between now and the end of the season, we don't want to give Gerrard the benefit of the doubt and then end up having to sack him part way into next season resulting it being another wasted season

I think it's a big final seven games for him.

Agree.

Giving managers the benefit of the doubt has a poor track record. Sure there are exceptions - but whack Kalvin Philips , Joe Gomez and a couple more in that side I don't really think it would make much difference.

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yes, as I’ve said previously. There are matches when he’s got it wrong, things I’ve not been pleased with but I’m not someone who is just going to pile on someone constantly because I’ve decided I don’t like them.

Fair enough.

End of the day the board/owners will pull the trigger when they see fit.

Just hope they don't go for another headline name with little substance.

36 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Believe what you want!  All I know is Gerrard isn’t getting enough out of the players and the players aren’t performing for themselves. This has blame all around, from Gerrard, his coaching team to the players.  Neither can escape the fault.

You have to at least lay some blame in Gerrard. He's making the team significantly worse and destroying the team morale. It's astonishing how poor we've been when you compare to Lage, Conte or Howe.

We want Gerrard to be good but it's abundantly clear he most likely isn't. He's at a level of disgrace now there probably isn't a way back from. I don't want him here and I've been a massive supporter. Once the feeling has turned you can't really get it back

It was a gamble and it didn't pay off. Cut the losses and sack him. 

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Predicted the line up. Predicted the fall guys. Predicted the subs. Predicted the McGinn Watkins 90 mins.

Get rid.

The man is more predictable than Brucie.

Yep - difficult to see a way back for him to be honest. Little he does works out - and each week he seems more and more entrenched with formation and players - like if he sticks at it - it will come good. Brave Man.

3 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Can't put it all on Gerrard when the opposition keeper made 7 saves in the first half alone.   Just need a top class striker cuz the ones we've got are badly out if form or just not good enough. 

We've lost 4 on the bounce.

I don't recall the wolves or arsenal keepers doing much to keep us at bay recently.

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You have to at least lay some blame in Gerrard. He's making the team significantly worse and destroying the team morale. It's astonishing how poor we've been when you compare to Lage, Conte or Howe.

We want Gerrard to be good but it's abundantly clear he most likely isn't. He's at a level of disgrace now there probably isn't a way back from. I don't want him here and I've been a massive supporter. Once the feeling has turned you can't really get it back

It was a gamble and it didn't pay off. Cut the losses and sack him. 

Agree.

The media backlash from sacking the Liverpool poster boy will take some stomaching though.

Then of course the issue of who Purslow picks next. I hope we don't replicate QPR of a few seasons back - they had one of the richest owners in the country - but he couldn't pick a decent manager to save his life. Got bored and sold up in the end.

The end is in sight for Stevie G. Where that leaves us I'm really not sure.

Just now, hippo said:

Agree.

The media backlash from sacking the Liverpool poster boy will take some stomaching though.

Then of course the issue of who Purslow picks next. I hope we don't replicate QPR of a few seasons back - they had one of the richest owners in the country - but he couldn't pick a decent manager to save his life. Got bored and sold up in the end.

The end is in sight for Stevie G. Where that leaves us I'm really not sure.

I'm starting to think Purslow is as much of a problem than anyone else is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Shouldn't have got the job in the first place. 

Yup - he was pretty much doomed to fail on day 1.

It's often said that's often about how well a manger' fits ' a club. It always looked an awkward appointment.

27 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I’m sure many were saying that any manager that loses 5 in a row would be in serious trouble earlier in the season. Does anyone fancy us to get a result at Leicester? 

Two managers in one season giving us a 5 game loss run would just be insane but 1 game away from that.

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Two managers in one season giving us a 5 game loss run would just be insane but 1 game away from that.

Fortunately the Liverpool game has been moved as that would be more than likely 6 losses on the bounce if we still had that one to play. 

He has to get a win in the next 3 games, no excuses. Didn't like the appointment in the beginning and nothing has changed , saw his pre match interview and he thinks Liverpool and Man City are evenly matched, Purslow should be sacked. 

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

One manager had a full squad available and the other didn't .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

I hope we don't replicate QPR of a few seasons back - they had one of the richest owners in the country - but he couldn't pick a decent manager to save his life. Got bored and sold up in the end.

I think this is an excellent observation, and I'm actually surprised this doesn't come up more often. Two successful businessmen will not continue to sink 150M each season on endless failure. They were lucky with the Grealish windfall, but it's fair to say that'll be the last significant transfer fee we'll see in a very long time. Randy Lerner also came here with big dreams, until a chequebook manager with a huge ego killed his interest in the beautiful game. Who's to say this won't happen again?

Gerrard strikes me as the definition of a chequebook manager, unable to coach or improve individuals in an expensive squad, so will need to throw more and more money at the problem until something clicks.

As Mervyn King once brilliantly observed, we need to become a better decision making machine. Why on earth did we take such an unnecessary risk on another big ego, this time with a flimsy CV, open about his desire to be at a bigger club? Everything spells disaster here, and another terrible decision to add to the list seems increasingly likely.

• Like 4

Â