Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

55 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Owners really throwing everything at this Stevie G project. And this is only January.

If this fails we could be in trouble.

Exciting but at the same time I'm a little worried.

Agreed.  If Gerrard turns out to be all mouth and no trousers, we're screwed.  You would also have to question the owners / senior managements forward motivation if their best efforts fail so expensively too.  It's happening to Everton now, and we nearly folded in our recent history. 

But today we signed coutinho, so woohoo🎉😍🎉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Owners really throwing everything at this Stevie G project. And this is only January.

Massive and unecessary gamble on a very inexperienced manager. Sure great player - but often that doesn't cross over into management.

I really hope we would build on the work DS did last season. Seems like we are gambling heavily on Stevie G coming good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Massive and unecessary gamble on a very inexperienced manager. Sure great player - but often that doesn't cross over into management.

I really hope we would build on the work DS did last season. Seems like we are gambling heavily on Stevie G coming good.

I agree.

This strategy seem a lot more risky.

Little resell value, high wages etc.

Hunting the best young Championship players certainly felt like a more safe and secure transfer strategy. And also a lot more sensible considering it's only our 3rd season since promotion.

I cannot help but feel concerned. Only thing that can reduce that feeling is seeing results, and results has been awful recently.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Not really yet.  We have a six month loan with an option to buy player and potential a £20m+ left back.  It’s not as if we’ve spent £100-£150m. We haven’t mortgaged the house.  Seems clever signings and investment strategy.

• Like 2

Just now, villalad21 said:

I agree.

Hunting the best young Championship players certainly felt like a more safe and secure transfer strategy.

I cannot help but feel concerned. Only thing that can reduce that feeling is seeing results, and results has been awful recently.

The other unknown part to this strategy  (for us) is the value of the uplift in the status and profile of the club.  Gerrard and Coutinho are global superstars with huge followings, how we monetise this and by how much is hard to quantify.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I agree.

Hunting the best young Championship players certainly felt like a more safe and secure transfer strategy. And also a lot more sensible considering it's only our 3rd season since promotion.

Yet with those players our 2021 record was awful and as you pointed out, under Gerrard, we’ve lost the last three games and lost more than we have won.  Maybe a slight adjustment to that strategy needed to happen.

• Like 1

I personally was a little underwhelmed with the Gerrard signing, but was willing to give him a chance and to see what he can do with us.

From what I've seen so far from Gerrard and our board since game 1, I'm very optimistic that Gerrard will be a huge success and see us progress as a team as expected.

On the pitch I've seen a clear identity in our play and can see how he wants us to play, off the pitch I can see he's identified where we need to improve to play his way too.

Based on the opening games, which included games against Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd and Leicester, I'm not sure any manager in world football could have done much more with our current team.

• Like 3

Just now, villalad21 said:

Our midfield is letting us down because we currently don't have a defensive midfielder. 

Not sure how coutinho is solving that. 

It’s not solving the problem, but it’s still brilliant that we’ve got Coutinho.

Plus the window has a way to go, and I am confident that Gerrard will sort it. If the budget was that tight he wouldn’t be bringing in Coutinho.

7 hours ago, Adman said:

The other unknown part to this strategy  (for us) is the value of the uplift in the status and profile of the club.  Gerrard and Coutinho are global superstars with huge followings, how we monetise this and by how much is hard to quantify.

Agree.

But own its own that won't make a massive difference to commercial revenue.

Sure a weeks headlines on appointment. But it's pretty much a footnote now.

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Gerrard is here, because DS couldn't build on the " work DS did last season " .

You do realise this?

Further more, weren't you slagging Deano non stop as well?

Either way, I really need to stop latching/biting onto some of the madness I'm reading from people with agendas that have surpassed logic.

We get it, you hate the Manager.

And you're going to find anything possible to moan about until we get one you like, until you don't like them either.

Agreed DS didn't push on after last season and IMO had to go.

I thought we would then go for the next level manager. Not a less experienced one - who might come good because he was a good player.

You're right for a long time I wasn't convinced by DS. He won me over though.

My fears are that results will not be great under Stevie G - forcing him into a massive rebuild. I thought with the base we had built last season we would build on that. Maybe we will.? 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How much did smith blow? Much more than gerrard has and there has been some unbelievablely poor business from smith as well as some great successes like ollie and konsa

Not sure.

But Smith probably covered his ass with 2 years TV money from the prem.

In a sense Stevie G has a tougher job  as he has to bring in players better than what we have.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not sure.

But Smith probably covered his ass with 2 years TV money from the prem.

In a sense Stevie G has a tougher job  as he has to bring in players better than what we have.

Smith kept us up, that was his objectives although it never worked out im grateful for that. Taking us to next level is whay smith couldnt do and gerrards been tasked with doing it.

As you say i think gerrard has it tougher as he has to find better than what we have. Im confident he can attract bigger names. Digne an countinho are demonstrating this

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How much did smith blow? Much more than gerrard has and there has been some unbelievablely poor business from smith as well as some great successes like ollie and konsa

To be honest I wouldn’t even look at it like this. Our first season up we spent a fortune but every signing was needed, no recruitment teams going to find 10+ players for 150 million odd who all turn out to be successful. In the first January things were desperate with Baston, Reina and Samatta but even they were essential signings. Then last season our recruitment was brilliant IMO. We started this season with good signings also. I don’t think Smith should get any blame for any signings over his spell in charge. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

kalinic, wesley, trez, engels, jota, samatta, baston, drinkwater 

Do you think Smith went to Purslow and said I want us to sign any of these players specifically, actually apart from Jota. It would have been data based, and the loans purely on availability. Some will pay off some won’t

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

To be honest I wouldn’t even look at it like this. Our first season up we spent a fortune but every signing was needed, no recruitment teams going to find 10+ players for 150 million odd who all turn out to be successful. In the first January things were desperate with Baston, Reina and Samatta but even they were essential signings. Then last season our recruitment was brilliant IMO. We started this season with good signings also. I don’t think Smith should get any blame for any signings over his spell in charge. 

I agree to an extent, not all signings will be successes. Im just highlighting Gerrard wont get every signing right like Smith with the above list.

On paper this seasons signings look good, although baileys been injured for most it as has sanson! Buendia hopefully getting back to his best

Â