Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Nail on head. We should be picking a system that fits the players we have not forcing his sytem onto a squad if it's not equipped to play that way. You've addressed the No10 situation, but same for fullbacks. If you need two creative attacking fullbacks to provide the only real width, and you're wholly reliant on Targett and Cash, you're going to have a bad time.

Yesterday is the first result I've been really unhappy with since he joined, so I'm certainly not "getting on his back" as some say, but I'm hoping getting a bloody nose from a really rather unimpressive Brentford team gives him something to think about.

Perhaps, but some managers (and Gerrard seems to be one of them) have a clear system that they play, and the club were surely aware of that when he joined.

Given that relegation looks pretty unlikely, it probably does make sense for Gerrard to just see which players can adapt to his system ASAP, and then replace the ones who don’t.

If we wanted a safe pair of hands who can dig out results, we should have gone for a completely different type of coach.

Personally think Gerrard has shown enough so far for me to remain optimistic. Brentford game was very frustrating, but a lot of that was down to Hause just not being good enough.

People calling out stuff like the Trez substitution seems to be looking for reasons to prove the loss was Gerrard’s fault, when basically his tactics and team selection looked pretty sensible to me. As he said, we controlled most of the game, but were undone by moments of lack of quality at both ends.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Perhaps, but some managers (and Gerrard seems to be one of them) have a clear system that they play, and the club were surely aware of that when he joined.

Given that relegation looks pretty unlikely, it probably does make sense for Gerrard to just see which players can adapt to his system ASAP, and then replace the ones who don’t.

If we wanted a safe pair of hands who can dig out results, we should have gone for a completely different type of coach.

Personally think Gerrard has shown enough so far for me to remain optimistic. Brentford game was very frustrating, but a lot of that was down to Hause just not being good enough.

People calling out stuff like the Trez substitution seems to be looking for reasons to prove the loss was Gerrard’s fault, when basically his tactics and team selection looked pretty sensible to me. As he said, we controlled most of the game, but were undone by moments of lack of quality at both ends.

A pretty big drawback if you're trying to win football matches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I respect your view, minus the sarcasm......we have to be clear here, you stance and my stance has some legs yet, to say one way or the other, one of us, has made the right call.

I think the better players will stay with a project that the owners, have made clear they are behind.....They might not have a state behind them or a petroleum empire, but they certainly have the wherewithal to suggest to any player, their wages are safe.

I would suspect, Purslow is so sure of his appointment and the detail that has come from a 5hr gruelling that the odds of him failing and subsequently, being sacked are remote....This was never going to be a 2 month turn around, with the full picture being unveiled, this is a medium to long term project, where incremental improvement will be the order of the day, that may include a few peaks and troughs and a few bumps and triumphs along the way.

Steven Gerrards personal wealth is c £67 mill.....more than enough to be a sky pundit and flit on and off the tele for cosmetic reasons....His wife also has fashion interests, so he is as us locals would say" well tucked up for life"....If he feels he is failing, he will walk away.

SG is a glory junkie, and he will allow nothing to stand in his way, not Purslow, not NSWE ( Although they are both on the same page imo) not anyone.....He was cast in the shadow of Bill Shankly, brought up cutting his teeth, in the vacinity of the "Boot Room"....He has been bred with a club and fan base who are steeped in winning ( like or loathe Liverpool) those are the facts.....He has then decided to take on the demise of the giant Glasgow Rangers enough to make any experienced and succesful manager baulk at the challenge, despite the well documented nuances of that league, they was well and truly in the doldrums with a win at all costs, directive as his Mantra for survival......He had everything to lose, in his formative years of proving himself to the Elite band of managers he is so deperate to join.

Nothing in life, is certain, but If I was a betting man, my money would be on SG to succeed and to a man who is naturally going to select the next horse to be one he feels he has a real chance with...Aston Villa.

That will do for me.

Fair enough.

To me he is on a tight timeline simply because he made himself so unpopular with Aston Villa as a player (his words).

All of the people I sit by and all of the villa fans I know outside the forum (except 1) are totally un enthusiastic about this appointment. 

I think the fans will turn on Gerrard pretty quickly - he's made a decent start - but read the forum - he has a considerable number of detractors. 

As you say NSWE ,Purslow have gone all in on Stevie G - if it bombs what will be the aftermath ? - the press won't blame Stevie G , he has two many mates in the media.

I really think it's a shit show in the making.

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Ah yes, you may laugh and sneer, but have you considered the usually giant chasm between 14th and 17th in terms of points?

20/21 - 5 Pts

19/20 - 8 Pts

18/19 - 9 Pts

17/18 - 5 Pts

16/17 - 1 Pt

15/16 - 4 Pts

14/15 - 3 Pts

And so on...

That chasm is 5 points on average. I'm not sure that qualifies as giant.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Wonder if he will release another autobiography detailing his management years ?

"Stevie G - From hotshot to one shot" 

You don’t like him do you?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It must be very painful to be a Villa supporter and hate your manager not because he's bad at his job, but because of a historic hatred for Liverpool and SG.

He's Villa's boss now and has been with us for just a couple of months. He needs our support. 

I wasn't happy with the way we lost yesterday, but that wasn't down to SG. It was down to previously buying players with some good attributes but without the drive, strength, pace and toughness that is needed in the Premier League.

It will take time to sign the right players to add the fight and battle that our team is obviously lacking.

It’s made for some painful reading on this forum anyway 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Good shot Sir.

Back on to the point though, we had 10 attempts, none of the misses were gimme howler misses, but we had enough to have put that game to bed before the slip ups.

You’re correct. We have a transfer window ahead of us now for Steve to mould the team how he would like it.

We aren’t going down - no chance - but this was always going to be a season of transition after our talisman left, the poor start, injuries, new signings bedding in, and managerial changes…

Happy New Year to yourself and everyone else on VT!

#utv

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJ_Villain said:

You’re correct. We have a transfer window ahead of us now for Steve to mould the team how he would like it.

We aren’t going down - no chance - but this was always going to be a season of transition after our talisman left, the poor start, injuries, new signings bedding in, and managerial changes…

Happy New Year to yourself and everyone else on VT!

#utv

Agree and a happy new year to you too pal.

Â