Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This guy is either a brilliant mind and passionate footballing man, or the most skilled Charlatan of all time.

He just knows EXACTLY what to say, and how to say it.

At the end of the day, talk is cheap. The coming weeks and months will be telling. There's plenty reason to be optimistic though. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, allani said:

Some talk is cheap.  Other talk is priceless.  But it takes a while to figure out who is worth listening to and who is talking out their ****.  Initial signs are positive but time will tell.  I am 100% more optimistic than I was when he signed.  And I was 100% more optimistic when he signed than I was when he was linked. 

I thought 12 points from the matches before the end of the year would be a good return.  To have 9 from the first four and to have run Man City close enough that a point wouldn't have been complete robbery is way beyond what I expected.  That said every point needs to be earned and Norwich will be fired up for their match against us for sure.  So it is yet to be certain that we'll achieve my "target".

I agree that Norwich will be fired up but IMHO we will be more fired up, also we wont be playing a system that DS knows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

OK, I just stepped on board the Stevie G train. Where should I sit?

First Class...there's still room, but it could be standing room only, soon.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know what you mean Phil....but I don't think he is like a sgt major, he is more detailed and rounded than that....and I don't think its beyond him to give a cuddle to the right players....but its his drive, is what defines him, it forges, who he is....I think a lot of big clubs would like Gerrard.

He simply won't tolerate losing or drawing.....thats what he is, and who he is.

Its been inbred since the Shankly days, at Liverpool and its carried on in different guises....but with SG its intrinsic too.

We, as a club have accepted second best for too long ( in the past) These owners are of the same breed as SG....Dean did a great job of steadying the ship and building harmony around BMH ...that cannot be overstated, it was paramount at the time....He will always be remembered with fondness, for what he did for us...Dean created a great backdrop, for Steven to come in and enhance an already well oiled machine......it reminds me of Ron taking over from Vic Crowe.

but we was at a cross roads where the next phase was required and the heirarchy knew that....I think it was in their minds for some time.

I am really looking forward to a higher profile Villa and a team that will be difficult to beat.

You've got my feelings over a lot better then I did myself.

Completely agree with all of that, it's the standard, the mentality and drive he has that will gradually filter down to every individual at the club. Dean could not convey to them that this is who you are and what you are capable of against a supposedly more gifted opposition, screw them, I want you to come off at the end knowing that you have made the opposition respect you and maybe fear you the next time you meet. Deans mindset may have been, taking everything into account around mid table is pretty good, where SG will never accept it.

Sgt Saunders would be pleased so far 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

OK, I just stepped on board the Stevie G train. Where should I sit?

Me too pal. Hold my hands up and say I wasn't sure but so far so good. Games can be one thing or another but imagine taking the points this weekend, could we finally be fixed and on our way to where we belong.

• Like 3

I think SG bringing his backroom team with him was a master stroke.

In order to get the impact, so quickly as he has, has been so instrumental to his plans.

He can't boil the ocean on his own.....but by having so many around him, with the same philosophy and Mantra was key...to get to deal with so many things.

Right now he is in the middle of the battle, but when we are settling in, he will be positioned "on the job" not "in the job"

He can stand back and do more organisational analytics and manage up....Steve needs to be a strong character around the place and that will naturally take time, something, I don't see as any danger,to him...but politics in any big organisation, is like the weather,i.e low pressure and high pressure.....if you don't stay on top of certain people, they will be on top of you ( I think Dean may have suffered with that, not necessarily players)

Steve G is a footballing man and his representation of that side of the business is crucial....He will need the time and space to ensure, it stays in his hands,......However, I have no fear, he will.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

You've got my feelings over a lot better then I did myself.

Completely agree with all of that, it's the standard, the mentality and drive he has that will gradually filter down to every individual at the club. Dean could not convey to them that this is who you are and what you are capable of against a supposedly more gifted opposition, screw them, I want you to come off at the end knowing that you have made the opposition respect you and maybe fear you the next time you meet. Deans mindset may have been, taking everything into account around mid table is pretty good, where SG will never accept it.

Sgt Saunders would be pleased so far 

DS and SG are different characters and subsequently will affect us accordingly.....both will prove to be important parts of our history in my view....There will be some things they will do the same and sure, things they will do differently too.

SG himself has been quick to point out how affectionately Dean was held in the organisation....that is to Deans Credit and subsequently Steves for highlighting it.

You can only be, who you are....so both deserve credit for that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think SG bringing his backroom team with him was a master stroke.

In order to get the impact, so quickly as he has, has been so instrumental to his plans.

He can't boil the ocean on his own.....but by having so many around him, with the same philosophy and Mantra was key.

Right now he is in the middle of the battle, but when we are settling in, he will be positioned "on the job" not "in the job"

He can stand back and do more organisational analytics and manage up....Steve needs to be a strong character around the place and that will naturally take time, something, I don't see as any danger....but politics in any big organisation, is like the weather,i.e low pressure and high pressure.....if you don't stay on top of certain people, they will be on top of you ( I think Dean may have suffered with that)

Steve G is a footballing man and his representation of that side of the business is crucial....He will needs the time and space to ensure, it stays in his hands,......However, I have no fear, he will.

He's got a performance shift out of the current crop of players. The football looks controlled and measured.

I don't see it falling apart over the next few weeks either.

His next test comes when he decides to do some dealing in the transfer market. Esp if he decides to move on some of our better players....

Can he upgrade those he sells on - that's the hard part. Signing better than Luiz, Cash, Ming's or even Watkins .....not easy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

He's got a performance shift out of the current crop of players. The football looks controlled and measured.

His next test comes when he decides to do some dealing in the transfer market. Esp if he decides to move on some of our better players....

Can he upgrade those he sells on - that's the hard part. Signing better than Luiz, Cash, Ming's or even Watkins .....not easy.

Agreed its never easy to buy top players for PL but it becomes a bit easier I think when you dont need to buy 4/5 players each window. I've said it in the Jan thread but I think we can concentrate our resources a bit more now and only bring in 1 maybe 2 players if they are really an improvement on what we have. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

It will be interesting to see what happens....I have no fixation right now, other than I would like to see a defensive midfielder come in for the squad, in the stature of Rice or Rodri....but Marv's form is not lost on me, but I think we need another one, for the squad.

I think some of those players you mention, have still more to give, so I am unsure, where their ceiling is.

I too, don't see this being temporary, I see it as the norm and bear in mind he has only just arrived.

I have to say, what I am seeing in terms of intensity hasn't surprised me, in what the outcome has been and it will only continue, IMV.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

but be sure of one thing, he is not here to make up the numbers and he will drag everyone else at BMH with him.

That’s absolutely right and exactly the attitude that our owners have. As a fan base we’ve accepted, too easily, that we have a pretty average level, certainly as far as expectations on the pitch are concerned. To be successful that mentality had to change. It started in the board room and is definitely now at manager level, which will hopefully soon spread to the players. 

I think it’s significant that SG has highlighted how good and helpful to him, that Ashley Young has been. Another man who has a wealth of medals to his name. Emi has already had playing success at club and international level. I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see another older head with winning experience come into the squad. 

A nice comparison with Vic and Ron TRO. Exciting times to be a Villa fan. We all just need to get on board with this winning mentality thing. Harder for the younger lads, us old duffers have seen it in the flesh. Good init?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, allani said:

Some talk is cheap.  Other talk is priceless.  But it takes a while to figure out who is worth listening to and who is talking out their ****.  Initial signs are positive but time will tell.  I am 100% more optimistic than I was when he signed.  And I was 100% more optimistic when he signed than I was when he was linked. 

I thought 12 points from the matches before the end of the year would be a good return.  To have 9 from the first four and to have run Man City close enough that a point wouldn't have been complete robbery is way beyond what I expected.  That said every point needs to be earned and Norwich will be fired up for their match against us for sure.  So it is yet to be certain that we'll achieve my "target".

just stole my thoughts.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think this is right. Personality wise he reminds me most of Alex Ferguson. Definitely someone to be feared/respected, but knows when to turn it on. He's not that Roy Keane psychopath type at all.

I think you have to have an element of trepidation with the boss and SG brings that....SAF is a good comparison too.

A good manager doesn't run with the pack, they stay that little bit aloof.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â