Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m sorry, I’m not buying this. You look at that squad of players and there is no way it is a relegation squad.

We’re on a bad run, and I’m not saying that he doesn’t get time, but I expect to see a decent upturn in form. He’s on over 3 times what Dean was on money-wise, what are we getting for that?

I’m fair, but I expect 12th as an absolute minimum this season.

We better be getting into bloody Europe then! 😆

WTF, it bothers me (if true) that we’re paying him so highly. He doesn’t deserve it, hasn’t earned it. Should have to prove himself before being on a lucrative deal.

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I'm not sure he will get any money unless we sell players, as we are right up to the FFP limit. 

Pretty sure that is not true because the stories about that didn't factor in the Grealish money and that we actually made £5m profit this summer.

By my calculations there's approx £70m before FFP kicks in but I don't think anyone knows for sure other than Purslow and the owners.

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I was happy with 14th with Smith and I’ll be happy with 14th with Gerrard. 

When you had the transfer window we did, you can’t expect to improve year on year. It was a disaster. 

I'm probably more anti SG than most. But he's coming in mid season from a club still reeling from the loss of a once in a generation player, massive turnover on the coaching side, and misguided transfers in the summer.

14th would be acceptable to me.

1 hour ago, newhavenhibby said:

2 positive things I have witnessed about Gerrard whilst watching him up here are firstly, you will see some passion on the touchline and he will tell it as it is and tell the media so. He doesn't accept being second best.

Secondly, he does seem to possess good man management and that could be seen with him and the loose cannon Morelos. Never any stories of dressing room tiffs / feuds.......always seemed a "happy" squad.

So he’s like a younger version of Dean Smith? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

When you had the transfer window we did, you can’t expect to improve year on year. It was a disaster. 

It was hardly a disaster chap. The board will be expecting around 10th if not Europe still at least. I can tell you it hasn't changed, that's why we sacked Smith.

14th will be a disaster!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I'm not sure he will get any money unless we sell players, as we are right up to the FFP limit. 

I dont believe we are close to the FFP limit despite that article (cant remember who from) said we are...from everything fans were working out on our FFP situation over the summer post our signings we had significant head room in the future especially because of the Grealish sale.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I'm probably more anti SG than most. But he's coming in mid season from a club still reeling from the loss of a once in a generation player, massive turnover on the coaching side, and misguided transfers in the summer.

I understand what you’re saying but with 81 points still to play for, I’d be very disappointed with 14th.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It was hardly a disaster chap. The board will be expecting around 10th if not Europe still at least. I can tell you it hasn't changed, that's why we sacked Smith.

14th will be a disaster!

In their eyes, maybe, but that’s just delusional. 

If they’d bought properly in the transfer window, then Europe might have been achievable. 

If they think we’ll finish 7th with our current squad then we’ll just have a new manager each season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would you be happy with 14th if, as expected/mooted, we are going to splash out in Jan?

I certainly won’t be…

I wouldn’t call the window a disaster, we just failed to strengthen midfield and I expect it to be addressed at the first opportunity… unless the new manager somehow gets a real tune out of our existing players (would help if we could get them on the pitch first).

Even with our present squad. Once everyone is fit and reaches some semblance of form, I would still expect better. I think this is key, we’ve been in disarray and didn’t really have any kind of preseason… Covid has hit us hard a few times too…

Dean didn’t once get the opportunity to play his best team but that’s done now. It’s up to Gerrard to deal with it all…

There are a lot of games left to play.

14th wouldn’t be a complete disaster but certainly disappointing and underwhelming. Unacceptable if we spend big in the next window though.

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I understand what you’re saying but with 81 points still to play for, I’d be very disappointed with 14th.

For me the real job starts next season. I think there will one or two surprise departures. I think the team we start Aug 22 will be significantly different to what we see now (and maybe not in a good way!!!)

Just now, Jas10 said:

Would you be happy with 14th if, as expected/mooted, we are going to splash out in Jan?

I certainly won’t be…

I wouldn’t call the window a disaster, we just failed to strengthen midfield and I expect it to be addressed at the first opportunity… unless the new manager somehow gets a real tune out of our existing players (would help if we could get them on the pitch first).

Even with our present squad. Once everyone is fit and reaches some semblance of form, I would still expect better. I think this is key, we’ve been in disarray and didn’t really have any kind of preseason… Covid has hit us hard a few times too…

Dean didn’t once get the opportunity to play his best team but that’s done now. It’s up to Gerrard to deal with it all…

There are a lot of games left to play.

14th wouldn’t be a complete disaster but certainly disappointing and underwhelming. Unacceptable if we spend big in the next window though.

I agree with most of what you’ve said, yes. I think if we spend big in Jan and finally replace Grealish on the left and strengthen midfield then we should hope to finish in a similar position to last season. 

That’s a big IF though. The summer really worried me in terms of how we approached it and the signings we made. 

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

I really think this is being overplayed or overstated. I just don’t agree. Yes, we could have done better but it wasn’t a disaster. 

Our main failure was not signing a midfielder.

But Bailey and Buendia are good signings and will prove to be.

Ings (even though we didn’t really need him and spent big, has caused a dilemma for the team) is going to be an asset too.

We just haven’t seen the best of them or gotten them fit or played them into form (barely a run of games).

Another key point, the 3 of them have only had 35 mins on the pitch together. 

Buendia is not yet fit enough to complete a full game, Bailey has barely been seen and has never looked fit (even so, his Everton display gives us a lot of encouragement), Ings hasn’t had much service at all.

There’s absolutely no reason to write any of them off.

Gerrard is fortunate in that he will be able to, at some point, field that strongest team and get them a run of games. Then we will see what they are made of and then is when we can judge the quality of those transfers…

If we get Ings and/or Watkins quality and consistent service… we will be in a good place… we have to improve on our general play, we need to pass the ball better and that will show us the quality of our players. Piss off with the long throws, get McPhee the hell out of the way or send him packing!

Buendia will thrive for example, I want the CF running on to his killer passes and hitting the back of the net!

We have good attackers and finishers… we just need to get the best out of them.

Just imagine how good we will be when we get the best out of Bailey!

Last season, we were solid defensively and can be again. We have the same personnel and need to stop trying to fix what wasn’t broken (no back 5, no shoehorning 2 CFs in at the expense of other departments).

It’s the midfield that is the weak link, that is what needs sorting out and I have some belief that Gerrard could sort that out…

I never want to see us booting it long, clumsy on the ball and losing possession cheaply. If the new manager puts an end to that, he will have my admiration and respect.

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Gerrard is fortunate in that he will be able to, at some point, field that strongest team and get them a run of games. Then we will see what they are made of and then is when we can judge the quality of those transfers…

Fully agree with this. But we still need addition(s) at CM, LB & CD.

Â