The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Can see him bringing Kent down in Jan to play on the left for us. 

i dont see why mate, if all fit we have loads of wingers, a few of whom are very good quality.

I would much prefer it if we sorted the DM/MC issues, and maybe even some defensive frailties in Jan, if possible, with the money we have.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I’m feeling positive with this appointment although potter was my preference - I think smith had to go and am pleased the board acted on him - Gerrard I think certainly will establish us as a top 8 club , maybe more - I hope fans give him a clean slate and get behind him .

I hope some don't turn on him as quickly as they did Smith. 

• Haha 2

Being ever the optimist I have to say I'm quite concerned about Gerrard. I can't see the reason to sack DS just to appoint a very inexperienced Steven Gerrard. I wanted DS to go on, but when he was sacked I'd expected someone more experienced. Truth to be told, there wasn't any really mouth watering realistic manager to go for, except for maybe Ten Hag or Fonseca. Ten Hag would be my choice, but maybe that's not realistic.

But being me also has it's pros as I always hope for the best, and when it comes to Gerrard, IF he's the one, then I hope that he will turn out really great for us. Be the new Pep, kind of. I always have doubts when it comes to former great players turning to managing clubs. There are too many failing, especially english players. But maybe this time we get it right. I think Purslow is putting his job on the line here with this appointment, but if it's a success... Well, then his job is secured. Let's hope he knows what he's doing.

I don't buy this "He's worked under a few good managers and should've learned from them" or "He was a winner as a player which would spill over to the players" or "He was a great midfielder so he should be able to learn our midfielders this or that". It seldom works that way. It's not only knowing how, it's to teach how. To motivate. To pick the right team. Does he have those abilities? I don't know, but we'll see in the future. Let's hope so, as most reports points to him being our new m,anager.

But it will defintely feel weird to sing his name in praise. Really weird. And wrong. But it worked with Terry.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Some rangers fans talk as though we are Kilmarnock 🤦🏻‍♂️Rangers fans have no perspective how big a club villa are - interesting on club size - rangers 647000 followers Twitter , villa 1.7m almost treble 👍

But but but Rangers are a huge club with a massive international fan base.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d be amazed if their wasn’t a new manager bounce. 

Yep I think players will know they are on a good thing here at villa and if they want to stay here they will need to perform or be shipped out - very few players here will get better club than this 

Just now, villa4europe said:

feels a bit like a flashback to the grealish sale in the summer this...

without going back through 10 pages why does it look like its happening? nothing on sky or bbc websites

odds are 4/11 or 1/5 him being appointed. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

yeah but thats only odds, driven by rumours and articles, is anyone respectable putting their cock on the block?

has romano made his ITK 3 yard tap in yet?

Next you will questioning if Santa exists 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i thought that was celtic with all the plastic paddies in the states?

Dunno, but people are always coming on here saying what massive international fan base Rangers have.  Those differences in figures are also reflected on Instagram too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

feels a bit like a flashback to the grealish sale in the summer this...

without going back through 10 pages why does it look like its happening? nothing on sky or bbc websites

All I can really work out is that a couple of people made the early assumption and the media have done the same. Then the echo chamber since then appears to be working in overload. 

Bookies just change the odds because money is being put on it, nothing more complicated than that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Yep I think players will know they are on a good thing here at villa and if they want to stay here they will need to perform or be shipped out - very few players here will get better club than this 

And that has been our problem for years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Being ever the optimist I have to say I'm quite concerned about Gerrard. I can't see the reason to sack DS just to appoint a very inexperienced Steven Gerrard. I wanted DS to go on, but when he was sacked I'd expected someone more experienced. Truth to be told, there wasn't any really mouth watering realistic manager to go for, except for maybe Ten Hag or Fonseca. Ten Hag would be my choice, but maybe that's not realistic.

But being me also has it's pros as I always hope for the best, and when it comes to Gerrard, IF he's the one, then I hope that he will turn out really great for us. Be the new Pep, kind of. I always have doubts when it comes to former great players turning to managing clubs. There are too many failing, especially english players. But maybe this time we get it right. I think Purslow is putting his job on the line here with this appointment, but if it's a success... Well, then his job is secured. Let's hope he knows what he's doing.

I don't buy this "He's worked under a few good managers and should've learned from them" or "He was a winner as a player which would spill over to the players" or "He was a great midfielder so he should be able to learn our midfielders this or that". It seldom works that way. It's not only knowing how, it's to teach how. To motivate. To pick the right team. Does he have those abilities? I don't know, but we'll see in the future. Let's hope so, as most reports points to him being our new m,anager.

But it will defintely feel weird to sing his name in praise. Really weird. And wrong. But it worked with Terry.

Smith's name will be sang against Brighton.

If Gerrard comes ( and he would mad to imo) he only stands a chance if he brings his existing back room staff, if he doesn't then we are in deep trouble. .

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Smith's name will be sang against Brighton.

If Gerrard comes ( and he would mad to imo) he only stands a chance if he brings his existing back room staff, if he doesn't then we are in deep trouble. .

He will be 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i thought that was celtic with all the plastic paddies in the states?

Looking at Twitter and Instagram Celtic have a few more followers than Rangers but still more than a million behind us. 

Must be all the plastic Brummies in America.