The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I’m still gobsmacked that Gerrard would even be rumoured to be linked with us aside from the Purslow connection.  I just hope that link is the only basis for the rumour….just mind blowing he would be thought seriously about for the job.

I hope it's not Stevie G but I think you are doing him a massive disservice by dismissing him with such disdain. He's done a more than solid job at Rangers and is borderline idolized by their fan base who are a notoriously fickle bunch. 

We could do a hell of a lot worse. 

Would be interested to hear who you would consider acceptable based on the above rationale. 

• Like 1

Ange Postecgoglou.

Not only does his style of football bring success wherever he has managed, he tends to turn things around pretty quickly (see Celtic).

For those who love Bielsa, he plays Bielsa-ball - but done right :trollface:

Plus, he's an Aussie. 👍

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Given the reaction of the players to the news, it didn't seem like there was anything bad going on behind the scenes. I also don't agree with it being toxic either. It was just a bad run of games. 

Not so sure. The Sanson and Buendia tantrums. The departure of Smith's coaching staff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m still gobsmacked that Gerrard would even be rumoured to be linked with us aside from the Purslow connection.  I just hope that link is the only basis for the rumour….just mind blowing he would be thought seriously about for the job.

Gerrard will be linked to every job in the prem. He's got loads of mates in the media, and would make big headlines

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Behave yourself man. You cannot be serious.

Sorry to butt in Rigo but I think it's like dipping down to the championshio or league 1. A sideways move at best and if he did come and do reasonable, he'd be off to liverscum when plopp leaves.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Ange Postecgoglou.

Not only does his style of football bring success wherever he has managed, he tends to turn things around pretty quickly (see Celtic).

For those who love Bielsa, he plays Bielsa-ball - but done right :trollface:

Plus, he's an Aussie. 👍

No chance he leaves Celtic now 

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve a feeling this thread won’t be needed very long as an appointment will be made very quickly but this is the place for debating the names. Anyone who says Steve Bruce gets a 3 year VT ban. 😁

Might not be that quick if we are talking of interviews.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Behave yourself man. You cannot be serious.

I’m gobsmacked that you’re thinking that. What Howe did with Bournemouth was great. I don’t think he’s world class but he’s proven his ability to run a decent team in a decent league. Gerrard hasn’t. 

I’d imagine in a poll of either Villa fans or neutrals the majority would favour Howe. By a distance.

Dont get me wrong if it’s Gerrard I’ll give him every chance and hope he does brilliantly (I actually like him) but it’s based on hope and hope alone. Alex McLeish won championships with Rangers. It’s not any sort of credible experience. It’s the same as giving it to JT. 

Sounds like you guys are ITK though so I’ll have my fingers tightly crossed he can step up!

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

I've decided I want Andre Villas-Boas.

Thank you.

Yeah fairly high on my list of the names flying around but he’s said a few times he doesn’t want to be in the PL again so not sure we would change his mind.

Potter or Hasenhuttl for me in terms of those with experience of the Premier League. Seem to have the potential to step at the same rate that the progress the club want to make. There's plenty on here who have a lot of knowledge of managers around Europe but i'd be anxious of them settling in fast and building the team spirit needed