Christmas 2021

sidcow

24 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've just found a cracking present for one of my son's, and I think I'll get exactly the same present for my daughter in law.

It's two trailers full of 10 inch seasoned and dried logs .... Don't tell anyone, I don't want to spoil the surprise.

You're gonna burn. 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

You're gonna burn. 

As long as I get that warm and toasty feeling that only a roaring log burner can give.

I'm in to practical presents this year which leads me to ask .... Has anyone tried a Guinness nitrogen surge head attachment? What could be more practical than a really creamy pint of Guinness .... but .... is the head attachment any good?

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

As long as I get that warm and toasty feeling that only a roaring log burner can give.

I'm in to practical presents this year which leads me to ask .... Has anyone tried a Guinness nitrogen surge head attachment? What could be more practical than a really creamy pint of Guinness .... but .... is the head attachment any good?

Frankly I'd rather use the Guinness to chuck on the fire to put it out. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Frankly I'd rather use the Guinness to chuck on the fire to put it out. 

As a half Irish family, two of my sons hop over to Dublin on a regular basis just to get a few pints of the real black gold, while jigging to the fantastic music in the bars. I share your view sidcow (I just hope they don't read this)

• Haha 1

I'm impressed you've got your own chainsaw already.  They turned you into a Westerner pretty quickly.  How many guns have you got?   Do you drive a pickup?  I'm a little disappointed that your chainsaw is electric, though.  A true 'Murican  feels the need to go through the ritual of mixing oil and gas for and yearns for the noise of the 2-stroke engine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I'm impressed you've got your own chainsaw already.  They turned you into a Westerner pretty quickly.  How many guns have you got?   Do you drive a pickup?  I'm a little disappointed that your chainsaw is electric, though.  A true 'Murican  feels the need to go through the ritual of mixing oil and gas for and yearns for the noise of the 2-stroke engine.

Chainsaw's are a US thing? I'm English, I own two chainsaw's (a proper one and an electric backup), I know loads of people people that own them too (admittedly some are tree surgeons). 

5 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Chainsaw's are a US thing? I'm English, I own two chainsaw's (a proper one and an electric backup), I know loads of people people that own them too (admittedly some are tree surgeons). 

Not so much a US thing, but more a big state or rural thing within the US.  Pioneers clearing the land for  their homestead and all.  @TheAuthority was a big city boy until fairly recently, so he’s assimilated well.

With that said, chainsaws a UK thing?  Doesn’t fit that well with my mental image- not that I wouldn’t expect there to be any.  So maybe he was raised by lumberjacks in the midlands before discovering his first trombone, and this is just a return to his roots.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Not so much a US thing, but more a big state or rural thing within the US.  Pioneers clearing the land for  their homestead and all.  @TheAuthority was a big city boy until fairly recently, so he’s assimilated well.

With that said, chainsaws a UK thing?  Doesn’t fit that well with my mental image- not that I wouldn’t expect there to be any.  So maybe he was raised by lumberjacks in the midlands before discovering his first trombone, and this is just a return to his roots.

I don't think they're an anywhere thing. It's s a tool, slightly more niche maybe but still just a tool. Guess it depends who you hang around with. A lot of my friends/family have log burners so have things like that. We had a log burner and had 4 massive leylandii trees taken down in our old house so that's why I have them. 

10 hours ago, il_serpente said:

A true 'Murican  feels the need to go through the ritual of mixing oil and yearns for the noise of the 2-stroke

giphy.gif

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

You can buy chainsaws in Aldi at certain times of year. 

I've got a pretty big garden by most UK metrics.  There are a number of trees in the garden.  I wouldn't think of owning a chainsaw though.  That said I'm having 2 conifers taken down in January and an apple tree properly pruned and a couple of other trees have dead wood taken out. 

Even with a chainsaw I wouldn't consider doing it myself though, these are big trees / a lot of work / expertise needed and will involve a lot of clearing up afterwards.  I'm paying a tree surgeon to do it, yeah it's a lot more than the cost of a chainsaw but I'm happy to save the time and work and I'm happy with the price. 

My brother in law has a really big garden. He has a chainsaw and has dozens of leylandii trees he's happily taken the tops off himself and taken a couple completely down. 

You really do need to know what you are doing though.  I provide insurance for chainsaw training courses and down the years I've seen some pretty nasty claims even though these people are under the instruction of a professional trainer. They are not things to **** about with. 

Edited by sidcow

I own a chainsaw. When we bought our latest house the back garden was like a forest. My pal who is a bit of a farmer boy cut down he big stuff, while I have tackled the smaller stuff with my chain saw. Problem I find with chainsaws is the chains don't last too long before they need sharpening and that's a tedious job.

12 hours ago, il_serpente said:

No guns, no pickup - but I do love a stroke or two.

• Haha 2