Ask BOF anything

tomzep

**** :)

Claret, you can't buy a small bird anymore but you can rent a midget. Do that.

Not much else happened Rev :) You just missed 19 goals including penalties.

Designer. Good news. You're not wrong! I won't bore you with the science.

Thankyou!

:)

Bof, I have a phobia of spiders and I found this big bastard in my living room yesterday...

bigbastard.jpg

I was too scared to go near it, I woke up this morning and it's moved somewhere else... I'm getting freaked out every time I enter my flat.

What do I do?

BOF; the bottom oven of the gas range cooker in our new house won't work. I suspect that, as it's a very old appliance, the igniter is shot and in need of replacing. Further credence is given to this theory when taking into account that the top oven, stoves and grill do all work. Now, I have read up on what is required to replace the igniter, I have watched several instructional videos and I have planned out the task thus:

1. Buy suitable igniter.

2. Turn gas shutoff valve for the appliance.

3. Move oven forward, remove housing at the back.

4. Unscrew and detach old igniter, replace with new one.

5. Screw housing back into place.

6. Turn gas back on.

7. Move oven back.

8. Turn oven on.

9. Don't die in fiery explosion.

On a handiness mark out of 10, I'd rate myself somewhere between 6-7. I can throw up flat-pack furniture faster than most and have a degree of confidence in my ability to undertake this task, but admittedly I have never fiddled with gas appliances before. Should I attempt this repair myself at the cost of a replacement igniter only, or should I pay through the nose for a professional?

Â