Ask BOF anything

tomzep

BOF, how can I make it more obvious to my colleagues that I'm on my lunch break at my desk. Apparantly a sandwich hanging out my mouth isn't enough. Neither is slouching or sleeping. They still ask me to do stuff. Why do they make me do stuff in alone time?

BOF, how can I make it more obvious to my colleagues that I'm on my lunch break at my desk. Apparantly a sandwich hanging out my mouth isn't enough. Neither is slouching or sleeping. They still ask me to do stuff. Why do they make me do stuff in alone time?

Wear some headphones and get a tablet or something. (Like ipad not XTC). Its the looking at a screen that confuses the idiots, don't look at your work PC is the trick. I have the same problem at my work. (I sat on the roof today to look at Schipol Airport for a bit becasue they will not leave me alone)

Hang this of your Desk lunch.jpg

Hah, I genuinely used to have this problem to the point where my (ex-)boss expected me to field calls while at my desk during lunch too. I pointed out that if I was walking around the park for my hour I wouldn't have to field calls to which she agreed. So I started sitting in my car during lunch just to get the hour I was fully entitled to. Which put her in a guilty/awkward position because she knew she was being an arse without a leg to stand on (which is an interesting metaphor in itself actually).

Answer? Be direct but polite. Something like "leave it there on the desk and I'll do it after my lunch break". If they don't get the hint after being explicitly told you're on your lunch break then ... well, use your judgement :)

BOF, is it physically possible to tear a £5 note using only your bum cheeks?
It depends what you've prepped your cheeks with. Anything from prittstick upwards and you've got yourself a pair of £2.50 notes :thumb:

Hah, I genuinely used to have this problem to the point where my (ex-)boss expected me to field calls while at my desk during lunch too. I pointed out that if I was walking around the park for my hour I wouldn't have to field calls to which she agreed. So I started sitting in my car during lunch just to get the hour I was fully entitled to. Which put her in a guilty/awkward position because she knew she was being an arse without a leg to stand on (which is an interesting metaphor in itself actually).

Answer? Be direct but polite. Something like "leave it there on the desk and I'll do it after my lunch break". If they don't get the hint after being explicitly told you're on your lunch break then ... well, use your judgement :)

This is why I make a point of PRINCIPLE to go out every lunchtime. Walk into Bradford, gawp at the pondlife, get a coffee in Starbucks, read my book, check out the book/record shops, whatever. But no way will I stay in the office.

Â