Energy Bills

Genie

7 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I think if you pay by DD it gets taken off as a deduction on your bill rather than as a payment to your bank account.

It seems like it varies by supplier.

British Gas and EDF for example send the money back to your bank. 

Octopus will adjust the DD amount down

MSE

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Genie said:

The £400 is returned to bank accounts isn’t it (in chunks of £66 or £67)? 

You pay as normal, then they send £66 or £67 back to your bank a few days later.

You’re better off holding money in your own bank earning a bit of interest than in theirs making money for them. 

Octopus are crediting the amount to my energy account in stages as you say roughly £66 per month. I'm not getting anything in my bank account.

23 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Octopus are crediting the amount to my energy account in stages as you say roughly £66 per month. I'm not getting anything in my bank account.

yep. I had seen a while ago that BG were returning money after the usual DD had been made and assumed it was the same for all suppliers. 

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Shell are just deducting it from the DD amount.

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yep. E.on are reducing the next 3 installments to match it. 

That’s what I assumed everyone would do. Put the £400 on your account as a credit and then revise down the monthly payments. BG thought differently.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

That’s what I assumed everyone would do. Put the £400 on your account as a credit and then revise down the monthly payments. BG thought differently.

Not just BG but EDF too it seems, although it depends on how you pay. 

image.png.2dac8b845adb03b58ed15033ea933bee.png

EDIT: Sorry, I've just seen that you've referenced EDF above. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

OPEC are cutting Oil production by 2mil barrels a day. Oh joy

This may not mean anything in practice. All OPEC members are pumping at maximum capacity and are still 3.6 million bpd under their production target.

It's unclear whether this cut is to the target or actual production. 

If it's a cut to the target, then they will continue to pump the same amount of oil at maximum capacity, but will only be 1.6 million bpd behind target now. 

If it's a cut to actual production then that's a serious problem. 

Edited by ender4

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

What’s the reason? Is there less demand now?  

If the cut is to actual production, it will be because the global economy is going into recession shortly with the increase in global interest rates, and so oil demand is about to drop relatively sharply. 

• Thanks 1

They've just run a report saying there are possibilities of electricity running out this winter if gas supplies become a problem so they can't supply the gas power stations. 

Why haven't they announced cheaper off peak electricity for all like was rumoured? 

If you can shift some of the peak demand into off peak that's going to help avoid this! 

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They've just run a report saying there are possibilities of electricity running out this winter if gas supplies become a problem so they can't supply the gas power stations. 

Why haven't they announced cheaper off peak electricity for all like was rumoured? 

If you can shift some of the peak demand into off peak that's going to help avoid this! 

Typical of the current UK government. The EU and European leaders have made lots of changes to reduce usage as well as prepare people for the worst.

In the UK nothing. Cut the bills by taking out another massive loan. No word about doing anything differently. We hold all the cards. No downsides, only upsides. Easiest gas use in history.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Who says the BBC is dumbing down it’s content?

E855-FFBF-5592-4277-8227-7-BC38-F6-FED31

I think that explanation was for Government Ministers so they didn't confuse "insulating houses" with "murdering babies" because they currently appear to think that. 

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63155827

Homes face winter power cuts in worst-case scenario, says National Grid

British households could lose power for up to three hours at a time this winter if gas supplies run extremely low, National Grid has warned.

The company said it was an "unlikely" scenario but added that supply interruptions were a possibility if the energy crisis escalated.

Cuts would probably occur at peak times such as morning or early evening, and customers would be warned in advance.

But it has modelled two more worrying scenarios which could arise.

In the first, the energy crisis in Europe would result in Britain not being able to import electricity from France, Belgium or the Netherlands, although power would still flow from Norway. Without taking action, the National Grid ESO warned this could lead to shortages.

It will also launch a scheme from 1 November which incentivises businesses and households to reduce their electricity use at key times.

So is this still on? I've not seen anything from Government sources about this. 

Edited by sidcow

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So is this still on? I've not seen anything from Government sources about this. 

Apparently they don't want to do any campaigning to advise reduced usage, because when you're a ultra-libertarian governing on a "governments shouldn't tell people what to do" mentality the last thing you want to do is give a hint that you are telling people what to do.

Edited by ml1dch

Â