Energy Bills

Genie

• 2 weeks later...

It was just mentioned on Channel 4 news that Investec has announced the energy price cap could be £3,238 in October as a result of the Russian invasion.

Screen-Shot-2022-02-24-at-19.29.49.png

The consumer price cap could spike to £3,000 per year in October, warned Investec, following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Energy prices have spiked across the continent amid renewed fears of supply shortages from energy sanctions, Kremlin retaliation, and conflict driven disruption.

Oil prices have topped $100 per barrel for the first time since 2014, while gas prices have spiked across the continent.

I've had an email from E.on saying that my annual bill will be rising by £1,100 in April. 

I'm already paying £200 per month now so I will be paying £300 after April. 

Christ only knows how much it will be after the next review, it may end up being higher than my bloody mortgage. 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It was just mentioned on Channel 4 news that Investec has announced the energy price cap could be £3,238 in October as a result of the Russian invasion.

Screen-Shot-2022-02-24-at-19.29.49.png

I mean the Russia drive is a part of it but the wholesale market was triple or quadruple what it used to be without this recent influence. The price cap is in a lag to the wholesale market. I think many hoped that this would be a price spike across winter and then it would return to normal. But the 2023, 2024 and 2025 futures are now digging in at double or triple historical norms. The drive isnt Russia, its mainly carbon prices.

So ye, if you're bill was £1500 historically it should be £4000-£5000 next year.

Edited by turvontour

People simply won’t be able to pay £3,000 or £4,000 a year in home energy costs so something will have to give.

If it does go up again in October people will have that AND the £200 loan many didn’t want to pay back on top.

Edited by Genie

39 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Gotta milk us all while they can for fossil fuels! 

See petrol prices too!

It's a bunch of arse!

Have a bit of a journey today so had to fill up yesterday, spent the most £ I've ever spent at a petrol station. Went through car wash too and bought 2 creme eggs for a pound. Total bill was £73.68. Madness.

• Shocked 1

11 hours ago, Genie said:

People simply won’t be able to pay £3,000 or £4,000 a year in home energy costs so something will have to give.

If it does go up again in October people will have that AND the £200 loan many didn’t want to pay back on top.

The government will have to subsidise the energy companies. A large proportion of the country won't be able to afford bills like that. 

So who has had their renewal prices?

I just had mine by british gas, electric is estimated to go up £600 annually

Gas £400. Of course i dont qualify for any rebait either as im band f

Looks like ill be reading books in the dark and wearing coats and woolly hats round the house then.

Edited by Demitri_C

On 25/02/2022 at 10:15, Phil Silvers said:

Have a bit of a journey today so had to fill up yesterday, spent the most £ I've ever spent at a petrol station. Went through car wash too and bought 2 creme eggs for a pound. Total bill was £73.68. Madness.

Wtf ???

Don't tell me the price of creme eggs is going up as well ???

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Genie said:

I filled my car at the weekend, I thought it was better to just go through the pain once which will last me a few weeks. £77 😭

70 litre tank so over £100 for me!  I guess it will make people use public transport but that is shite too!

The incentive is there now but the infrastructure is not!

Edited by S-Platt
Typo

At least we are heading out of winter into spring , so it should start warming up soon. Next winter is going to be brutal though. Fuel poverty is already effects 13% of households in England. If prices dont go down this will be rising to 30-40% easily

12 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

At least we are heading out of winter into spring , so it should start warming up soon. Next winter is going to be brutal though. Fuel poverty is already effects 13% of households in England. If prices dont go down this will be rising to 30-40% easily

Thats only saving grace but its my electric that has gone through the absolute roof! 

Next winters definitely going to be brutal

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats only saving grace but its my electric that has gone through the absolute roof! 

Next winters definitely going to be brutal

A lot of electricity is produced at gas fired power stations.

I’m sure I read or heard somewhere that Martin Lewis was suggesting that locking in now isn’t the worst idea as medium term predictions are that the cap goes up a lot again in October (due to Russia conflict).

Edited by Genie

Â