January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

@Peter Griffin I applaud you on your conviction and reasoned and detailed  responses and POV ref: Mings - I see and agree with your point to an extent. Just think it depends on the player and so many other factors in terms on what they offer and bring to the team and squad. Mings loss would be felt for sure in the dressing room . 

I think that selling a good player who fits into the team nicely will always have some pain (and risk), but it is selling these players that will give us most profitability and therefore more scope to improve.  The ability to pay higher wages and to more of the 1st team is really important. I think that is absolutely necessary for us to break into the top 4. This will be a gradual process and not a one season fix. If there was no FFP then I would say keep Mings for a few more years but unfortunately we need to take into account the financial aspect of football and not just the dressing room or pitch. This is particularly true if, as expected, the FFP/P&S model moves to a wage as a % of revenue. It is absolutely critical to our future success that we can make some significant accounting profit on player sales.

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I just don’t see somebody better than Mings coming here at the moment. An England international, a leader and an extremely good player.  I guess we just rate him differently.

I doubt we rate him differently. He is an extremely good player but he could be improved upon. It just happens that if we don't make it happen next summer the likelihood is that we never will and that particular opportunity to increase our profitability goes. I want Villa to challenge for Europe and for Champions League and I believe we will not be able to do this without being able to pay higher wages to more of the team. We need to register accounting profits to enable us to pay more.

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I doubt we rate him differently. He is an extremely good player but he could be improved upon. It just happens that if we don't make it happen next summer the likelihood is that we never will and that particular opportunity to increase our profitability goes. I want Villa to challenge for Europe and for Champions League and I believe we will not be able to do this without being able to pay higher wages to more of the team. We need to register accounting profits to enable us to pay more.

Given everything at the moment do you honestly think there is any chance at all we would sell Mings in the summer?  I think there is zero chance, I bet it hasn’t even crossed the clubs mind re Mings.  

Obviously they have mentioned buy to sell policy previously but I don’t Mings has ever been thought of in that context.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Given everything at the moment do you honestly think there is any chance at all we would sell Mings in the summer?  I think there is zero chance, I bet it hasn’t even crossed the clubs mind re Mings.  

Obviously they have mentioned buy to sell policy previously but I don’t Mings has ever been thought of in that context.

The market will be quite different next summer and there could be many things that could happen for us to receive a bid for Mings e.g. Fofana's injury forced Leicester to buy a new CB a few weeks ago. As regards there being zero chance it hasn't crossed the minds of people at the club. I would say there is zero chance it hasn't been discussed and continues to be discussed. They will need to assess every player for a potential sale and a potential contract renewal. I believe CP is managing AV very well and he will definitely have made sure these discussions have taken place so that we are prepared if a bid comes in and also we are preparing if we want to sell Mings or if we want to tie him to a longer contract. It will not have been a 10 second conversation of 'We love Mings, he is going nowhere', it will have been assessed from a football and a financial perspective and the implications to the club

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

The market will be quite different next summer and there could be many things that could happen for us to receive a bid for Mings e.g. Fofana's injury forced Leicester to buy a new CB a few weeks ago. As regards there being zero chance it hasn't crossed the minds of people at the club. I would say there is zero chance it hasn't been discussed and continues to be discussed. They will need to assess every player for a potential sale and a potential contract renewal. I believe CP is managing AV very well and he will definitely have made sure these discussions have taken place so that we are prepared if a bid comes in and also we are preparing if we want to sell Mings or if we want to tie him to a longer contract. It will not have been a 10 second conversation of 'We love Mings, he is going nowhere', it will have been assessed from a football and a financial perspective and the implications to the club

Yeah I think it will be extending his contract, I understand that but selling…nah!

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If you are the only person advocating it then doesn’t that tell you something?

It does, it shows we have different opinions and that we are viewing it from a different perspective

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

If it's all about making a profit why wouldn't we sell Konsa or Targett. They are far more marketable given their age and previous cost to the club. 

Unless the player is truly world class you really don't see high value transfers for players close to 30. Far more likely he goes for around what Southampton got for Vestergaard. 

25 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

This thread should be renamed “The Peter Griffin wants to sell Mings thread”.  

Nope wrong name for this Thread.

Nick i think we need to talk about Tammy more if this kind of thinking is happening around here.

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Nope wrong name for this Thread.

Nick i think we need to talk about Tammy more if this kind of thinking is happening around here.

@sne was pointing us that way and if we get backlash we can blame him 😂

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

If it's all about making a profit why wouldn't we sell Konsa or Targett. They are far more marketable given their age and previous cost to the club. 

For Konsa, due to his age and potential. IMO, Konsa is going to be an elite CB and will be one of the first names on the England team sheet in the coming years. I believe Konsa will be worth a lot more more in the coming years so we shouldn't sell him. Targett, I like Targett but I feel he has reached his ceiling, I can't see him getting much better than he currently is. If we got an offer for him I would have no issue selling him but I don't think he would command much of a fee, maybe 10m?

Just now, nick76 said:

@sne was pointing us that way and if we get backlash we can blame him 😂

I think we should proceed with Tammy talk for rest of the day, show VT Tammy is abroad but not forgotten 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

For Konsa, due to his age and potential. IMO, Konsa is going to be an elite CB and will be one of the first names on the England team sheet in the coming years. I believe Konsa will be worth a lot more more in the coming years so we shouldn't sell him. Targett, I like Targett but I feel he has reached his ceiling, I can't see him getting much better than he currently is. If we got an offer for him I would have no issue selling him but I don't think he would command much of a fee, maybe 10m?

Yes when DikGate is no longer manager and leading the England team to embarrassment.