January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In fairness a badly run club does business in the last minute. Spurs do it all the time and it probably costs them a lot as sometimes you sign players you dont need

That is true if they are scrambling around.

It's also true some transfers have to be done very late because of financial negations with the other club or the player wanting to see if a more attractive club comes in for them.

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Wouldn't make 1st XI if we signed

Just checked transfermarkt he's played 5 games in 64 at RB and never DM.

He's both footed, so can easily play either side 'traditionally' or inverted.

Him having far more games on the left is probably because only ~10% of people are left footed, so it would have been easier for his coaches as he's come through the ranks.

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

They can't just go and do what Man City did, as the many of the loopholes have been closed. I'm pretty sure the big clubs won't want more competition so will make sure Fifa & PL keep Newcastle subdued as much as possible. 

You are naive enough to believe they won't find a way and be allowed to buy the premier League?

Ok then. Prepare to be disappointed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

If Newcastle stay up it's quite clear what they will do. And if I'm a betting man I would suggest by the end of the summer transfer window there will be another team we can realistically not compete with and thus our chances of European football are even further away again. 

Why villa and Brighton are helping them for temporary short term gain seems insane.

I'm willing to let them have Targett BUT the money will have to be very good for the exact reason you say.

As for our chances being further away if they stay up, I don't think so they will need a few windows just to get the quality of players through the door never mind them gelling or being the right players. 

Personally I think we are a CB, RB and DCM away from a squad which should be rarely buying players as the squad should be good enough to compete for a top 6 finish.

I can't imagine we go from £25m to £45m in one day. We'll give them a call and be like 

"Hey, now you've had chance to think about it, here's £32m on the off chance you need the money, if not we'll see you in the summer"

And that'll be it until the summer

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

You are naive enough to believe they won't find a way and be allowed to buy the premier League?

I get it but there's only so many players they can buy. They can't buy everybody their competitors are after and there are plenty more good players than there are clubs. 

If Targett goes without us bringing in Hickey (or someone else decent), that's a different matter altogether and then I'd be pissed at the loan. 

7 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Eventually maybe they will, they certainly won't be doing a Man City rules have changed etc.

14 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

But what's wrong here? It happened quickly and this details it happening over the course of 3 days. He also started to cover the AEG move to them.

Just because someone didn't come out and say 'this is 100% happening' on day 1 doesn't mean he was wrong. 

What's detailed here is what actually happened, we may have been closer on wages than he thought but he didn't contradict himself at any point in these tweets

Other journalists had stated that the deal had been agreed but he insinuated otherwise. Only to play catch up when the story changed. 

Just because he works for the BBC doesn’t make him any better 

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Other journalists had stated that the deal had been agreed but he insinuated otherwise. Only to play catch up when the story changed. 

Just because he works for the BBC doesn’t make him any better 

But he didn't flip flop, you said not to believe 'journalists like this' and showed a journal who protracted a considered story, was accurate with the info he had and was eventually right without just pushing an article out of the door for clicks and hyperbole that is was happening despite his info showing it wasn't that far along.

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Too old his knees have gone and he didn’t even take part in the Royal Rumble so he would need ages to get match fit.

On the flip side he’s 6’10 and is an intimidating presence.

Would still get outjumped by Emi

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I would have given this transfer window a 5/10 if it closes as currently stands purely for the fact that we still have not fixed the DM issue.

If we now strengthen Newcastle and weaken ourselves in the process for no tangible benefit i'd have to lower it to a 3/10 and say it's been a pretty terrible window overall.

You could say that. I mean you would be completely wrong, but you could say that, absolutely.