January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

9 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Should have used the Ings money to buy Bissouma.

I reckon  we only got Ings cause we tried to get Ward Prowse. And Southhampton Said no, but you can have Ings.

That would be an incredibly retarded way of making transfers.

You don't go to a car dealer looking to buy a brand new AMG mercedes to see they have none left but get offered a K reg fiat Punto that's round the back, and say oh ok just because you had planned on buying a car that day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love Mings. I love that we have such an eloquent and impressive member of our squad and that he's our captain who represents us well and has done well when called upon for his country. His leadership skills on the pitch are horribly underestimated too, clubs like Arsenal have literally been crying out for leaders for over a decade. Probably nearer 2 decades now. And we have a great one we disrespect so often.

That said, I can understand he makes mistakes and turns 29 soon - not so old he should be binned - but old enough we should have a medium term plan incase he is one of those players that drops off quickly when he turns 30 (his lack of games during his Bournemouth spell probably means he has a good few years yet).

But looking at Tarkowski - as decent as he is - as a Mings replacement baffles me. He is decent but the same age, has some similar deficiencies and isn't the ball playing CB we would need to upgrade on Mings in the long run for our style. To compete with Konsa? Sure he's better than nobody. To replace Mings? Jog on.

Adam Webster gets all the plaudits lately as the ball playing CB from pundits. Plays more long balls (and more inaccurate) than Mings. 8.8 per game, 5 inaccurate. Has attempted 30 short passes more than Mings, with the exact same inaccurate passes (86). Admittedly in a few less games this year, but the stats show Mings is better than he gets lambasted on here for.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

You don't go to a car dealer looking to buy a brand new AMG mercedes to see they have none left but get offered a K reg fiat Punto that's round the back, and say oh ok just because you had planned on buying a car that day.

It happened in Dream Team once, it must be true

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

yes , very retarded, but did it happen

3 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

I didn't call him a Punto. lol.

It was a thread. Responding to responder. PF implied that Ings was a second rate (third rate actually) alternative transfer.

At the end of the day you find value in the market wherever it can be found. It’s how you build equity without breaking the bank.

Even if that happened, which is far from clear.

I think the Ings signing was a panic buy and if they had their time again, they probably wouldn't do the deal. We'll be stuck with him for 4 years now and whilst he isn't a bad player, I actually think we might look for a new striker in the Summer. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think the Ings signing was a panic buy and if they had their time again, they probably wouldn't do the deal. We'll be stuck with him for 4 years now and whilst he isn't a bad player, I actually think we might look for a new striker in the Summer. 

Honestly, whilst I think he was probably not top choice in teems of the roles we needed/still need to fill, if and when we figure out how to work to his strengths with the team/system we have, I think he’ll score a metric f**k ton of goals.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Honestly, whilst I think he was probably not top choice in teems of the roles we needed/still need to fill, if and when we figure out how to work to his strengths with the team/system we have, I think he’ll score a metric f**k ton of goals.

Not sure I buy into the 'work to his strengths' line. We pedalled that time and time again with Hogan before people realised he was crap and couldn't control a football. I'm not saying Ings is that bad, I actually think he's a decent player, I just don't think he's good enough in a system that only plays one up top. That and the fact he's not a young buck and lacks pace. 
I said from the very off that this signing just didn't fit and I stand by that. I don't think it will work out for Ings at Villa but massively hope I'm proven wrong!

After a new DM and CB are bought, I have a feeling the club may try to upgrade the forward position next. Watkins has been poor this season in comparison to last and as mentioned above, I don't think Ings is the right fit for us. 

51 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

People need to accept that there was thought behind getting Ings. The club know all to well about the risks of having just one proven Centre Forward in the squad and the damage an injury to that player can cause.  

Next was that Ings plays as a 2nd striker in a 2 so he can clearly play with another player up top. Axel joined us because he was told he would get game time as we were going to play 3 5 2. Deano said tactical flexibility was his aim so we would be less predictable. 

On paper 3 5 2 made sense. Luiz could focus more on being a deep playmaker and JJ and McGinn could get forward more. We'd also have Ings and Watkins together up top. 

Ultimately this cost Dean his job. Too many formation changes and clearly some players didn't fit the system. 

But there was a clear plan behind Ings and Tuanzebe joining. That's clear. 

Don't doubt there was a plan of sorts, might even been a good plan, on paper. Just that Ings might not have been a good target due to squad dynamics and compatibility with Watkins. Those are things taken into account when scouting and signing players surely.

Seen  nothing to suggest either Ings nor Waktins is a insufferable diva but Waktins had just had a breakthrough season as CF (at this level) and Ings was then brought in for big money and on the biggest contract at the club for the same position.

Strikers more than any position live on confidence and ego and lets be honest this is mid table Aston Villa, not PSG. Apart from Grealish (who the club allowed to run free) we have very little experience of handling big ego's and stars. Think it's been pretty clear that Ings and Watkins are not loving playing together for whatever reason. Those things can work out either way. Healthy competition or two selfish players to the detriment of the team. So far it's not been great and thats for the players and coaching staff to work out. Smith couldn't sadly. Gerrard should be in with a better shot considering his stature and experience.

Fwiw bringing in Tarkowski on what I imagine will be the highest contract for a defender at the club might cause very much the same issue as he's not a clear upgrade (imo) on what we have but will be payed much more than Mings, Konsa. Might be a non issue too of course.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

It happened in Dream Team once, it must be true

Dream Team….. still remember the time the Mirror linked Liverpool with a £3m move for French left back Didier Baptiste, only to have to be told he was a character in Dream Team, and not real.

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He has 2 & 1/2 years left on his deal. I don't see why we'd be "stuck" with him for 4 years tbh. I think he's a valuable player especially if we had an injury to Watkins. He'll also push Watkins on 

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

He has 2 & 1/2 years left on his deal. I don't see why we'd be "stuck" with him for 4 years tbh. I think he's a valuable player especially if we had an injury to Watkins. He'll also push Watkins on 

Why is he getting worse then?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't doubt there was a plan of sorts, might even been a good plan, on paper. Just that Ings might not have been a good target due to squad dynamics and compatibility with Watkins. Those are things taken into account when scouting and signing players surely.

Seen  nothing to suggest either Ings nor Waktins is a insufferable diva but Waktins had just had a breakthrough season as CF (at this level) and Ings was then brought in for big money and on the biggest contract at the club for the same position.

Strikers more than any position live on confidence and ego and lets be honest this is mid table Aston Villa, not PSG. Apart from Grealish (who the club allowed to run free) we have very little experience of handling big ego's and stars. Think it's been pretty clear that Ings and Watkins are not loving playing together for whatever reason. Those things can work out either way. Healthy competition or two selfish players to the detriment of the team. So far it's not been great and thats for the players and coaching staff to work out. Smith couldn't sadly. Gerrard should be in with a better shot considering his stature and experience.

Fwiw bringing in Tarkowski on what I imagine will be the highest contract for a defender at the club might cause very much the same issue as he's not a clear upgrade (imo) on what we have but will be payed much more than Mings, Konsa. Might be a non issue too of course.

I think on paper it looked a good signing and it looked like he would (again on paper) partner well with Watkins. We can all agree though it hasn't worked out as a partnership (yet at least). So we now have a quality Pro and a good competition/ cover for CF. 

What other CF signing could we have made in the summer though? We don't sign back ups as that's a bad policy we sign players to take / compete for the positions. Alveraz probably only one that comes to mind (I bet he was holding out for a bigger club I feel). 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why is he getting worse then?

Ings has been very good when up top on his own without Watkins in the team. He's scored goals. He was sharp against Brentford. I think Watkins and/or Ings just need a run of games up top on their own now with Coutinho/Buendia behind them. 

Gerrard wants 3 players in that position he said. So hopefully Archer comes good at PNE