January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Jack Grealish played in a relegation battle 18 months ago 

As have countless other top players.

I get the point posters are trying to make, but it's an overly simplistic view.

It's a team game.

I mean, the Legendary Milot Rashica is a prime example. Lol

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If I had my choice of DM now I would probably go for Bissouma. This is partly because I haven't really seen the others play and I have a much better idea of what we would be getting from Bissouma and the PL experience is very appealing too.

I want to go for the Japanese bloke from the fake ITK tweet, just to be controversial.

32 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If I had my choice of DM now I would probably go for Bissouma. This is partly because I haven't really seen the others play and I have a much better idea of what we would be getting from Bissouma and the PL experience is very appealing too.

If I'm honest, I knew absolutely nothing about Zakaria until I saw him mentioned on here.

The cut price plus rave reviews and him apparently being wanted by elite clubs is what made it attractive to me.

To be fair, I'm quite impressed by some of our posters knowledge about players, makes me feel a bit ignorant. Lol

I'm guessing legal aside, Bissouma would be the safer option. I've also seen him play and been impressed as well.

I don’t care whether a new DM is Japanese, French, African (how come Mali have so many solid midfielders btw?) or whatever.

Don’t get where the “joke” of people apparently demanding a big African bloke in there is coming from either… or the want for a “bruiser” too… I haven’t seen anyone being that specific! 😆

The names that have been mentioned (since last summer!) have all been great suggestions with multiple strengths and  attributes (also impressive stats and performances) that would help us.

We just need someone of high quality who can strengthen us defensively and bring some steel/power/grit to our midfield and combat us getting overpowered or outmuscled in there.

It’s what we lack most and is plain for most to see, would “complete” our team for this season at least (and moving forwards) and address the most glaring weakness or deficiency in our side.

Strength and aerial prowess are welcome but defensive ability, composure in possession and a good range of passing are essential. We need to hold onto the ball better (not lose it so cheaply) and protect the defence from being so exposed too.

Is it too much to ask? 😆

For those that want a change of nationality or whatever (?) how about the likes of Mikel Merino and Maxence Caqueret?

Just bring someone good in! 😆

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

I would be happy with Bissouma, was just the cost that concerned me before but I think it’d be worth it (we need to get that position/role sorted asap) and even be good value for us if we managed to get him for £40m or less. If we can get in ahead of the “big clubs” that would be quite a statement and coup.

Lately, the uncertainly over his legal case or accusation has been a major concern. But I’m sure the club wouldn’t be interested if there was any risk in that sense anyway so I’m not too concerned whether we do bid for him or not. There are other options but he presents the least risk in terms of adapting and performing.

Boubacar Kamara is a very appealing target - age, class/quality, versatility, potential. Would be an outstanding signing imo but he must surely have plenty of suitors and is probably demanding a hefty wage… much like Bissouma maybe, not impossible…

Plenty of other suitable players out there… I’ve just never understood the apparent lack of urgency in addressing this area of the team but I’m hoping that SG feels differently.

The balance of our side is still off and bringing in such a player would go a long way toward fixing it…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The team isn't poor...its just poor at being hard to beat.

our offensive play at times is pucker....we have failed to score only three times in 20 league games this season, while keeping only 5 clean sheets...we kept 15 last season.

Last year we had Doug DM most games and kept 15 clean sheets.

So we should keep him as DM then?

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I would be happy with Bissouma, was just the cost that concerned me before but I think it’d be worth it (we need to get that position/role sorted asap) and even be good value for us if we managed to get him for £40m or less. If we can get in ahead of the “big clubs” that would be quite a statement and coup.

Lately, the uncertainly over his legal case or accusation has been a major concern. But I’m sure the club wouldn’t be interested if there was any risk in that sense anyway so I’m not too concerned whether we do bid for him or not. There are other options but he presents the least risk in terms of adapting and performing.

Boubacar Kamara is a very appealing target - age, class/quality, versatility, potential. Would be an outstanding signing imo but he must surely have plenty of suitors and is probably demanding a hefty wage… much like Bissouma maybe, not impossible…

Plenty of other suitable players out there… I’ve just never understood the apparent lack of urgency in addressing this area of the team but I’m hoping that SG feels differently.

The balance of our side is still off and bringing in such a player would go a long way toward fixing it…

I like Kamara based on the stats and what I have read, age is very appealing too. But I have F all first hand knowledge of any of the DMs that are discussed other than Bissouma

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As have countless other top players.

I get the point posters are trying to make, but it's an overly simplistic view.

It's a team game.

I mean, the Legendary Milot Rashica is a prime example. Lol

Rashica went to fight a relegation battle because winning the league would be too easy for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, but I think a DM would have more influence on a team that playing poorly to a Jack style player. It is easy for a Jack to get isolated in a poor team but a worldie DM should be in the thick of things

Yes that’s a fair point, not always the case if a team is so poor though, but you would at least expect a player of his “hyped” ability to influence results more. I have no idea about Zakaria, only what’s been put on here, Facebook and Twitter. I would prefer us to go for bissouma as he is more likely to hit the ground running than a lot of the other names mentioned

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The team isn't poor...its just poor at being hard to beat.

our offensive play at times is pucker....we have failed to score only three times in 20 league games this season, while keeping only 5 clean sheets...we kept 15 last season.

I didn’t mean our team is poor now, I think we are not far at all away from being a real top force and competing for the top 8, I was comparing our first season back in the premier league with monchengladbach this season which is why I said about grealish. 

45 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If I'm honest, I knew absolutely nothing about Zakaria until I saw him mentioned on here.

The cut price plus rave reviews and him apparently being wanted by elite clubs is what made it attractive to me.

To be fair, I'm quite impressed by some of our posters knowledge about players, makes me feel a bit ignorant. Lol

I'm guessing legal aside, Bissouma would be the safer option. I've also seen him play and been impressed as well.

If he is truly that price we could buy both!

• Like 1

The appeal of Kamara is the fact that he can play CB as well. Although he’s keen to wait for his contract to end, we could just throw a huge signing on fee at him now, then give him a good contract as well. If we’re prepared to spend £50m on Bissouma we could do worse than spending a good chunk of it signing Kamara instead.

8 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Eden Hazard, please make it happen

no thanks.

bad attitude, probably past his best tbh, lazy, fat, literally everything about the guy screams a big fat waste of money.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Loxstock92 said:

What the?

Might be alright on a short term deal. But we don’t really need him, unless Ings or Watkins are leaving.

Still wouldn’t surprise me if Arsenal move for Watkins before the end of the window as Vlahovic looks like he wants to wait and see who else comes in for him.