January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

When trez came on, it did make me wonder if he was showing potential suiters that trez is fit and can play.....

I can't think of any other reasonable reason he came on over someone like chuk.

To be fair, he almost conjured something up, until he attempted the most pathetic Phelps impression.

25 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

The point I am making is that the approach taken by NWSE, since their takeover, is more professional than what went on before. I have not said that NWSE are not professional - I believe they are in all things they do. There have been, and always will be, leaks from agents but I am sure there were leaks from Bodymoor prior to the ownership change.

In fairness the club has always done business professionally - the Xia/Wyness era was just a aberration (in more ways than one...). I remember the club being praised by other clubs when they signed or sold players under the Lerner regime in terms of their professionalism. Nobody really had a clue what was happening under O'Neill until it was done. Maybe Lambert was a bit more leaky to the press. 

21 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

A very interesting question indeed. It did seem at times as if there were two separate hubs of decision making when it came to transfers, sort of similarly to how it was under Sherwood. Probably not the best set up but then again, considering they've had to completely rebuild the whole squad, they've done a very good job overall. Some mistakes were to be expected but I'd argue that even the less impactful ones ( Wesley, Heaton, Trez ) played a role, weren't complete duds, and were unlucky because of terrible injuries. Now, apparently it wasn't all great because Suso did lose his job and took the fall, but the scope was enormous when we were promoted with half a squad under contracts. 

I think our transfers since NSWE have been good. We are never going to get a 100% hit rate of success and you can't foresee serious injury and particularly 2 expensive players in the same game. But I think a lot of our players will have increased in value. Nakamba, Luiz, Ollie, AEG, Konsa, Cash, Martinez and Mings are probably all up in value. Hause, Guilbert and Engels were cheap anyway and we will probably get our money back. Targett and Trez are the clear losers from a valuation perspective and I am not considering Heaton or Wes due to the horrific injuries. Bailey, Buendia and Ings are too early to comment on yet but I suspect that Toon would jump at Ings if we offered him to them for 30m which would be a 5m profit for us

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I don't think Smith's era was anywhere near as bad as Sherwood's. When things went bad for Sherwood he dropped all the Paddy Riley players to try and prove a point and went all in with Lescott/Richards/Gestede who were clearly his own signings. Then the reports started to leak out about how he wanted Townsend and Adebayor and was overruled.... Smith never complained about recruitment under his tenure. He said he was given choices by Suso and then he had the final say for example with Wesley. He always backed all of the signings publicly. Maybe Guilbert is the only one who was close being thrown under the bus by him.

From what I remember they built up a list of about 4 for every position, I assume they were a pretty even split between Dean and Suso, then they got in who they could in the budget.  Dean was actually a head coach so seemed happy to try and coach whoever was in his squad.  I think Gerrard is a much more forceful personality, a bit like Sherwood but thankfully not as shit.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

From what I remember they built up a list of about 4 for every position, I assume they were a pretty even split between Dean and Suso, then they got in who they could in the budget.  Dean was actually a head coach so seemed happy to try and coach whoever was in his squad.  I think Gerrard is a much more forceful personality, a bit like Sherwood but thankfully not as shit.

It always helps with confidence when the person is completely financially independent and doesn't need the job. Gerrard is working at Villa for one reason only and that is because he wants to work. If the job ever becomes a pain in the arse for him or he stops enjoying it he can simply walk. Purslow will have to put more effort into keeping SG happy than he did with Smith. This should give Gerrard a stronger voice

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think our transfers since NSWE have been good. We are never going to get a 100% hit rate of success and you can't foresee serious injury and particularly 2 expensive players in the same game. But I think a lot of our players will have increased in value. Nakamba, Luiz, Ollie, AEG, Konsa, Cash, Martinez and Mings are probably all up in value. Hause, Guilbert and Engels were cheap anyway and we will probably get our money back. Targett and Trez are the clear losers from a valuation perspective and I am not considering Heaton or Wes due to the horrific injuries. Bailey, Buendia and Ings are too early to comment on yet but I suspect that Toon would jump at Ings if we offered him to them for 30m which would be a 5m profit for u

I think you're being harsh there. Targett was being linked with Leicester for big money during the summer. He'd be worth £15m no bother - young, English, plenty of games under his belt. If Trezeguet recovers to the same standard he was pre-injury we'd easily get £10m back for him. He's scored high profile goals for us in the league and cup - that alone would get us our £10m back these days. Bottom half of the PL standard players are worth £10-20m these days - Targett and Trezeguet are good enough for the bottom half of the table.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

LOL - we hope!!😂

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

I think you're being harsh there. Targett was being linked with Leicester for big money during the summer. He'd be worth £15m no bother - young, English, plenty of games under his belt. If Trezeguet recovers to the same standard he was pre-injury we'd easily get £10m back for him. He's scored high profile goals for us in the league and cup - that alone would get us our £10m back these days. Bottom half of the PL standard players are worth £10-20m these days - Targett and Trezeguet are good enough for the bottom half of the table.

Yeah, maybe you are right but my comment would be saying we are making a profit on all of our players expect the two that had serious injury. Reading the comments on her and it appears we need a complete rebuild and our squad is shyte. How can that be if we spend 350m on players and they have all gone up in value 🤔

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I find the idea of someone paying 10 - 20 mill for Diverguet hilarious but if we could get that kind of money for him i'd snap their hands off.

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think our transfers since NSWE have been good. We are never going to get a 100% hit rate of success and you can't foresee serious injury and particularly 2 expensive players in the same game. But I think a lot of our players will have increased in value. Nakamba, Luiz, Ollie, AEG, Konsa, Cash, Martinez and Mings are probably all up in value. Hause, Guilbert and Engels were cheap anyway and we will probably get our money back. Targett and Trez are the clear losers from a valuation perspective and I am not considering Heaton or Wes due to the horrific injuries. Bailey, Buendia and Ings are too early to comment on yet but I suspect that Toon would jump at Ings if we offered him to them for 30m which would be a 5m profit for us

They would need to bid an arm and a leg (£50m) to make me consider a bid from them and then I wouldn't expect Ings would want to move to play up North for a smaller club that never win anything. He has his standards and that is why he came to us, they might need to pay him a Messi like salary to tempt him to even consider playing up there. ;) 

1 minute ago, John said:

They would need to bid an arm and a leg (£50m) to make me consider a bid from them and then I wouldn't expect Ings would want to move to play up North for a smaller club that never win anything. He has his standards and that is why he came to us, they might need to pay him a Messi like salary to tempt him to even consider playing up there. ;) 

It would be some bit of business to buy Ings in Aug for 25m and sell him in Jan for 50m. :)

They could give him a 4 yr 150k a week contract I am sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, maybe you are right but my comment would be saying we are making a profit on all of our players expect the two that had serious injury. Reading the comments on her and it appears we need a complete rebuild and our squad is shyte. How can that be if we spend 350m on players and they have all gone up in value 🤔

Our recruitment since we were promoted has been good. We've gone and got the best players we could attract each window given our status at the time. The players in our squad that people are complaining about the most at the moment were signed before we'd played a PL game under these owners.

The fact that they've all gone up in value but yet are now coming up short in terms of what we need at the moment shows how fast the club is progressing. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Our recruitment since we were promoted has been good. We've gone and got the best players we could attract each window given our status at the time. The players in our squad that people are complaining about the most at the moment were signed before we'd played a PL game under these owners.

The fact that they've all gone up in value but yet are now coming up short in terms of what we need at the moment shows how fast the club is progressing. 

Do you think we’d get more than what we paid for Traore, Trezeguet and El Ghazi? 

I agree a few of the players have but I’d rate our business as around 5/10 since being promoted. We’ve spent a lot of money and we’re likely to finish around 14th this season. That’s not great. 

19 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Can't see us chucking 40m at Dwight McNeil, they are taking the proverbial for that much. 20 max. 

We wouldn't get him for £20m. With the position that they are in, I would be surprised if they were prepared to sell him for under £40m. It's all speculation though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do you think we’d get more than what we paid for Traore, Trezeguet and El Ghazi? 

I agree a few of the players have but I’d rate our business as around 5/10 since being promoted. We’ve spent a lot of money and we’re likely to finish around 14th this season. That’s not great. 

Trez, I dont think so. Traore, I had forgotten about him but I can't see us getting much less that 17m, he has massive talent and could do very well in the right team. I don't think high press suits him, he would be more suited to Italy imo. AEG was only about 6m, I think we would get 10m+ for him now. We paid a loan fee first for AEG which also covered his wages while on loan. I think the price we bought him for was 5.75m

Why would we want a left winger who doesn't score goals or produce many assists to begin with, especially since we play with two 10's rather wingers.

Burnley are dreadful of course but 1 assist and 0 goals despite playing 90 minutes in most of their games this season hardly warrants a £40m price tag. Young and English aside.

• Like 2