Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

One thing I don't really like is the PA being told to start overhyping the goal scorers names when we score. Is there really any need for it, it's something you'd expect to hear at Palace or Reading.

Dave Boulton has been doing our PA since I think the early 90s so he's been in the job a long old while and clearly knows what he's doing so bit sad if someone at the club told him during the summer to dramatically alter his style just to appeal to our younger fanbase.

The "Yipeee yay ay" he did just before kick off yesterday sounded as forced as you could get and just had people around me looking aghast.

Yep, truly dreadful. It's like the thankfully short lived goal music fiasco under Lerner and Krulak. They can stick that nonsense up their hoop.

• Like 1

One thing I don't really like is the PA being told to start overhyping the goal scorers names when we score. Is there really any need for it, it's something you'd expect to hear at Palace or Reading.

Dave Boulton has been doing our PA since I think the early 90s so he's been in the job a long old while and clearly knows what he's doing so bit sad if someone at the club told him during the summer to dramatically alter his style just to appeal to our younger fanbase.

The "Yipeee yay ay" he did just before kick off yesterday sounded as forced as you could get and just had people around me looking aghast.

It’s very cringe . 2/3 times yesterday I was like wtf 

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

Think its shocking that half the Witton is almost empty with 10 minutes+ left on the best run in the clubs history in generations! 

I think the trains have a lot to do with it. Shocking timing some games and it’s a rush to get there on time and also get on it .

19 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think the trains have a lot to do with it. Shocking timing some games and it’s a rush to get there on time and also get on it .

They have been like it most of the season and its only significantly visible in Witton Lane considering they are the closest to the Station 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Dunno about shocking. I left a full time and it took me nearly 2 hours to get home and over an hour of that was trying to get out of the surrounding roads. I only live 30 minutes away. 
I never leave early but it wasn’t a nail biter, a crucial game or going to the final kick. I get why people might want to miss the last 5 minutes of the game which might reduce their journey time by 30 minutes. 
The players weren’t hanging round on the pitch for ages after either, no disrespect to Luton but it was just a routine win. 

Viller in the shires 

mate :D

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Kingman said:

They have been like it most of the season and its only significantly visible in Witton Lane considering they are the closest to the Station 

mmmm…. Not sure then . Sometimes people take advantage of the easy escape route. 

19 hours ago, Kingman said:

Think its shocking that half the Witton is almost empty with 10 minutes+ left on the best run in the clubs history in generations! 

i do try not to judge because everyone's circumstances are different. if we're winning i always stay until the end but if you've paid your money you can basically do what you want within the T&Cs of stadium entry IMO. however it is a shame to see spurs stadium basically having a disco at full time for a monday night game vs fulham the other week (a stadium which is considerably more difficult to get away from than villa park) vs ours that's half empty at full time.

for sunday games i try and empathise, particularly those with kids who have school the next day. the only time it really winds me up is saturday lunchtime games...even if it takes you 5 hours to get home you're still not needing to cancel any dinner plans and the last 2 games we've played at that time have been arguably our 2 best performances under emery. it would've been nice to have had a bit of a party at full time for those

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Just flicked through this thread and I see basically every suggestion to improve the atmosphere is immediately shat on for being small time or cringe or annoying or whatever and everyone is judging how everyone else enjoys a game with tickets that they paid for with their money.

Can’t think why the atmosphere at Villa Park is reflective of a bunch of miserable old bastards…

You honestly think that the announcer giving it a really half arsed boxing promoter style "Suuuuuuuper John McGinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!" is going to have any bearing whatsoever on the overall atmosphere? The crowd largely reacts to what's going on, on the pitch. Sunday against Luton was like watching a training game, there was more suspense, tension and threat in the average episode of In The Night Garden. And the crowd reacted, or more precisely, didn't, accordingly. Wait until we're 1-1 with Man City under the lights in the first week of December, with 10 minutes to go! :)

Edited by Risso
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Risso said:

You honestly think that the announcer giving it a really half arsed boxing promoter style "Suuuuuuuper John McGinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!" is going to have any bearing whatsoever on the overall atmosphere? The crowd largely reacts to what's going on, on the pitch. Sunday against Luton was like watching a training game, there was more suspense, tension and threat in the average episode of In The Night Garden. And the crowd reacted, or more precisely, didn't, accordingly. Wait until we're 1-1 with Man City under the lights in the first week of December, with 10 minutes to go! :)

I had to laugh at the In The Night Garden reference as I was up watching that at 5am with the little’un. But I don’t agree - if you don’t think there’s threat in In The Night Garden you clearly haven’t seen the episode where they ride the Ninky Nonk. Pure death trap that thing. 

• Haha 1

The one thing I notice that is a lot different now from our championship days, especially when we went on that amazing unbeaten run, is people are desperate to exit as soon as the final whistle has gone. Before a lot of people used to stay for a rendition of hi Ho Aston Villa but now I find I’m often the only one left in my row on north stand upper 😂 I still belt it out even though I feel a lot of eyes trained on me as their walking up the steps in front of me haha 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve always stayed to the end, I like to applaud the team off and take in the surroundings as much as possible before heading off. I’m not confident that it makes a massive difference leaving 5 mins early vs waiting to the end. Maybe it gets you home a bit quicker, but I’m in no rush, I’m at home all week and appreciate being at Villa Park. Everyone has their own situation which I appreciate, but I will never leave early, even when we’re losing. 

Yep, i've never left early. I wait till the players have all left the pitch before i think about getting ready to leave. 

I don't get leaving early, it's an event you have paid to watch, why not watch it all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i do try not to judge because everyone's circumstances are different. if we're winning i always stay until the end but if you've paid your money you can basically do what you want within the T&Cs of stadium entry IMO. however it is a shame to see spurs stadium basically having a disco at full time for a monday night game vs fulham the other week (a stadium which is considerably more difficult to get away from than villa park) vs ours that's half empty at full time.

for sunday games i try and empathise, particularly those with kids who have school the next day. the only time it really winds me up is saturday lunchtime games...even if it takes you 5 hours to get home you're still not needing to cancel any dinner plans and the last 2 games we've played at that time have been arguably our 2 best performances under emery. it would've been nice to have had a bit of a party at full time for those

It was the scoreline and NID nature of result. Think back to end of last season and how full VP was for the Spurs win at the end.

If we're beating Man. City or Arsenal in a month's time going into injury time not that many will be leaving.

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Just flicked through this thread and I see basically every suggestion to improve the atmosphere is immediately shat on for being small time or cringe or annoying or whatever and everyone is judging how everyone else enjoys a game with tickets that they paid for with their money.

Can’t think why the atmosphere at Villa Park is reflective of a bunch of miserable old bastards…

I'd actually like to see us interview more old players on the pitch before the game or half time which is very boring now. Not sure why we don't even announce the half time scores of other games any more?

Was nice to see Kenny Swain back but felt very rushed interviewing him right at the end of half time break.

Went down well a few years back when Laursen and Angel came out on the pitch and Mellberg was at a game end of last season so seems logical but we don't seem to do it as much as other clubs.

20 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

i think the other factor is injury time and the Sunday games. Maybe less so against Luton but in other games having 5 minutes at the end of the first half and then seeing ten minutes at the end of 90 when the game is done and dusted is probably encouraging people away.

Ive never previously left before the end, but this season have left once or twice in injury time because i need to start to get back and the games are lasting longer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Oh god I had forgotten about that. Toe-curlingly bad.  It was like when they started playing music when we scored for a bit under Lerner before they dropped it.

They will probably want us to start saying you are getting mauled by the lions next like what Hull do.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It was the scoreline and NID nature of result. Think back to end of last season and how full VP was for the Spurs win at the end.

If we're beating Man. City or Arsenal in a month's time going into injury time not that many will be leaving.

we battered newcastle and brighton and it was the same though. 2 top teams.

I'd actually like to see us interview more old players on the pitch before the game or half time which is very boring now. Not sure why we don't even announce the half time scores of other games any more?

Was nice to see Kenny Swain back but felt very rushed interviewing him right at the end of half time break.

Went down well a few years back when Laursen and Angel came out on the pitch and Mellberg was at a game end of last season so seems logical but we don't seem to do it as much as other clubs.

I said that on Sunday. Liverpool, Brighton, west ham, man City etc score actually has some relevance to us now as it dictates where we are in the league. With the rubbish Internet, I didnt find out the other scores Sunday until I was well away from the ground. 

They read out the scores for years, not sure why they've stopped now.

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

I had to laugh at the In The Night Garden reference as I was up watching that at 5am with the little’un. But I don’t agree - if you don’t think there’s threat in In The Night Garden you clearly haven’t seen the episode where they ride the Ninky Nonk. Pure death trap that thing. 

My big un had a full on meltdown when Mr Pontypines moustache flew away, it really traumatised him. He still won't watch it now years later😂

• Haha 2

Â