Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

9 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There was a lot of negativity around me yesterday. Players getting abused and just general moaning . In all honesty most home support in England is crap though so we aren’t much different to the rest . 

My old man and I lost our heads at this so much to the point that rather than being able to enjoy us turning it around we ironically cheered the same supporters in the Upper Holte now singing who five minutes earlier were slagging the players off and completely wetting their pants audibly. I asked one such gaggle of fans if they'd prefer McLeish back as all they'd done is moan since going a goal down so it certainly seems they're not happy with the current state of affairs on the pitch?!

My Dad is 65 years old and has seen Villa in the Third Division and he said the way the Villa Park home crowd gets when things aren't going perfectly nowadays you'd think we still were! We've won our last 10 home matches in all competitions, the place should be on fire and when we're winning it is but they need us more when we're a goal down like yesterday, it was honestly embarrassing and I just don't understand it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wedge said:

My old man and I lost our heads at this so much to the point that rather than being able to enjoy us turning it around we ironically cheered the same supporters in the Upper Holte now singing who five minutes earlier were slagging the players off and completely wetting their pants audibly. I asked one such gaggle of fans if they'd prefer McLeish back as all they'd done is moan since going a goal down so it certainly seems they're not happy with the current state of affairs on the pitch?!

My Dad is 65 years old and has seen Villa in the Third Division and he said the way the Villa Park home crowd gets when things aren't going perfectly nowadays you'd think we still were! We've won our last 10 home matches in all competitions, the place should be on fire and when we're winning it is but they need us more when we're a goal down like yesterday, it was honestly embarrassing and I just don't understand it.

Your dad’s age puts you younger than I thought you were, which is really quite a compliment. Most of your posts make a lot of sense.

this is not an attack on younger posters by the way

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

On 17/09/2023 at 18:49, wedge said:

Maybe those of us who are going to Warsaw this week can learn a few things from the Legia fans who will no doubt give their team unconditional vocal support for the entire 90 minutes despite the score-line.

I’ve no doubt they will be great but I bet they just sing non stop rather than reacting to what is on the pitch. Sounds great but doesn’t help the team as much as as a collective roar when they are piling on the pressure for a goal. 

Stop taking Aston Villa more seriously than Aston Villa takes you......

This has been my signature since the Doug Ellis days.

Just take what you need from Villa....because they will take what they need from you.

I buy my season ticket and the occasion pint.

Season ticket is good value.

The pint isn't...........  at the current price and service level. Occasionally i decide to indulge though.

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 1

On 19/09/2023 at 16:50, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve no doubt they will be great but I bet they just sing non stop rather than reacting to what is on the pitch. Sounds great but doesn’t help the team as much as as a collective roar when they are piling on the pressure for a goal. 

I've often wondered this.

What do players think about fans that just sing and dance without paying attention to what's happening?

Some Milan's fans were doing this the other night......clearly not paying attention to the game just creating an atmosphere.

Which is good..........but sometimes it doesn't relate to what happening on the pitch at all.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2023 at 12:26, turvontour said:

In the concourse of the lower north before the Hibs game, something really occurred to me. There were loads of groups of late teens early twenties congregating, and so so few of them were drinking. I guess presumably because a pint is now double what it was ten years ago and the younger generation cant afford it. Ten to twenty years ago your have people chucking pints in the air to chants. 

It was just staggering to me how noticeable it was that i was one of the few drinking around me 20 mins before kick off.

It shouldn't be but maybe people arent drinking as much pre game anymore and that contributes to the poor atmosphere. It's a changing attitude to alcohol culturally and absolutely people cant afford £6 a pint, or multiples of it. 

I think the young uns prefer jaeger bombs and sambuca shots these days, maybe Villa need to start doing them. I drive to games now so drinking isn't part of my matchday experience anymore.. having a few before did help me with the singing though.. I sit in Trinity this season with my 10 year old and there is quite a lot of singing up there, even he was joining in. I got quite emotional, especially when he started pointing at the palace fans singing Who are ya who are ya

On 19/09/2023 at 16:38, Wainy316 said:

All of us that aren't pleased with the atmosphere should arrange to sit (stand) together and just go mental all game.

Back in the day we used to be able to do that...you know, stand where you liked.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

What do players think about fans that just sing and dance without paying attention to what's happening?

Some Milan's fans were doing this the other night......clearly not paying attention to the game just creating an atmosphere.

Which is good..........but sometimes it doesn't relate to what happening on the pitch at all.

Its probably better than fans groaning at passing backwards which damages players confidence

Players also connect with fans after the game instead of running down the tunnel like most do

22 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

I really don't like it. I like the crowd to be getting excited in unison with what's happening on the pitch. When one team is attacking and the fans are making the same noise as when the ball was in midfield, it feels like stadium noise being piped in from another game

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YLN said:

I really don't like it. I like the crowd to be getting excited in unison with what's happening on the pitch. When one team is attacking and the fans are making the same noise as when the ball was in midfield, it feels like stadium noise being piped in from another game

Maybe. But I'll take 80% of excitement for 90 minutes than 100% of excitement for 5-10 minutes. 

4 hours ago, AVTuco said:

The more expensive tickets, the worse atmosphere.

It pretty much always comes back to alcohol though.

Lunchtime kickoffs, unless derby or huge games, will have the worst atmosphere. 

But I agree, the more expensive the ticket will also contribute to this as like I said on an earlier post, those going, particularly the younger more vocal supporters, are likely going at the expense of being able to enjoy 2 or 3 horrifically overpriced pints pre match. 

Few people can afford ticket, travel and food and drink anymore.

Â