Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

11 hours ago, El Zen said:

I tried bringing up the idea of a drum in the Holte on twitter. The replies were, ehm, less than constructive. New ideas and innovation isn’t welcome because «it’s not how we do it, so it’s automatically shit» (I’ve paraphrased, but only slightly.) 

On the plus side, someone told me to have a day off, so I’m currently lounging around doing f*** all. That was kind of them. 

A drum in the Holte is hardly a new idea tbf

7 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

A drum in the Holte is hardly a new idea tbf

No, I know, I just mentioned it in some other context really. I sort of wish I hadn’t now, but hey. 

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

There was some muted clapping after 21 minutes. Does anyone know what that was for?

There was a guy in the lower Holte holding up a flag/banner that read ‘Dalian Atkinson Murdered’ 

3 hours ago, El Zen said:

No, I know, I just mentioned it in some other context really. I sort of wish I hadn’t now, but hey. 

Drumming at football match is great, IMO. Make some noise, bang a drum, create some vibes. Anything is better really than crickets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Drumming at football match is great, IMO. Make some noise, bang a drum, create some vibes. Anything is better really than crickets.

If some guy is banging a drum behind me I'm shoving fhem drumsticks up his srse.

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

If some guy is banging a drum behind me I'm shoving fhem drumsticks up his srse.

And then people wonder why the atmosphere is flat..

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, maqroll said:

And then people wonder why the atmosphere is flat..

A drum though doesn’t make the atmosphere better, it’s awful and only works in rare circumstances otherwise it’s just annoying. When it works it’s brilliant but that is not very often.  Yes, let’s improve the atmosphere but a drum or similar is the wrong approach.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

A drum though doesn’t make the atmosphere better, it’s awful and only works in rare circumstances otherwise it’s just annoying. When it works it’s brilliant but that is not very often.  Yes, let’s improve the atmosphere but a drum or similar is the wrong approach.

Rare? You mean like virtually every single ultras group/curva in the Bundesliga, Ligue 1, SPL, Serie A, La Liga, Argentinian Primera, Swedish Allsvenska, Norwegian Eliteserie etc etc etc. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Rare? You mean like virtually every single ultras group/curva in the Bundesliga, Ligue 1, SPL, Serie A, La Liga, Argentinian Primera, Swedish Allsvenska, Norwegian Eliteserie etc etc etc. 

yes, but in this country, it's incredibly rare that a drum adds to the atmosphere.

in the leagues you mention, there is a clear partnership between the drummer and the fans. the fans seem to know the songs to sing to certain drum beats. we don't have that, aside from one or 2. what drum beat would accompany "holte enders in the sky" or "every week we follow" for example?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

yes, but in this country, it's incredibly rare that a drum adds to the atmosphere.

in the leagues you mention, there is a clear partnership between the drummer and the fans. the fans seem to know the songs to sing to certain drum beats. we don't have that, aside from one or 2. what drum beat would accompany "holte enders in the sky" or "every week we follow" for example?

Establish that partnership, then. I’m no drummer, but a decent drummer would know how to find the beat to a(ny) chant. I’ve seen it done with plenty of songs and chants before. The drum is just the pulse. The voices make the noise. The singing comes first (started by a capo, who may, shock horror, use a megaphone) then the drum just carries the singing and ties the voices together. It’s brilliant. 

«Every week we follow» is just a variation of «allez, allez, allez» that is sung (and drummed) all around European stadiums all the time. HEITS might be trickier, IDK (again, no drummer,) but that’s okay too. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, El Zen said:

Establish that partnership, then. I’m no drummer, but a decent drummer would know how to find the beat to a(ny) chant. I’ve seen it done with plenty of songs and chants before. The drum is just the pulse. The voices make the noise. 

«Every week we follow» is just a variation of «allez, allez, allez» that is sung (and drummed) all around European stadiums all the time. HEITS might be trickier, IDK (again, no drummer,) but that’s okay too. 

it's also a culture thing though. i reckon if you surveyed every match going english fan i'd estimate a good 70-80% would be against drums. we just don't like them over here. there's a reason the vast majority of stadiums in this country don't have them and it wouldn't be welcomed by the majority of the fanbase

anyway...thought the atmosphere was fine saturday

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it's also a culture thing though. i reckon if you surveyed every match going english fan i'd estimate a good 70-80% would be against drums. we just don't like them over here. there's a reason the vast majority of stadiums in this country don't have them and it wouldn't be welcomed by the majority of the fanbase

agreed!

23 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Used to be that way in Norway too. Things change. My own opinion on the topic has changed massively. I used to hate drums too until I got to experience a proper ultras performance first hand. It’s brilliant. 

I think plenty of people would change their mind if they got to experience it first hand. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Used to be that way in Norway too. Things change. My own opinion on the topic has changed massively. I used to hate drums too until I got to experience a proper ultras performance first hand. It’s brilliant. 

I think plenty of people would change their mind if they got to experience it first hand. 

you're preaching to the choir here...i totally agree the atmosphere in europe is better. whilst the only experience of mine is rapid away when we were in europe, the atmosphere was amazing and i'd love to see VP like that

the problem is that it's not something that can be changed by chucking a drum into the crowd...it would take a MASSIVE culture change. at that rapid game, every man woman and child were jumping in unison...behind both goals, and along both sides. that simply would never happen over here. someone somewhere probably has written a book about the history of 'ultras' groups around europe and can elaborate as to why it's never caught on over here...i don't have the answer to that but i imagine if it was going to, it would've already

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Establish that partnership, then. I’m no drummer, but a decent drummer would know how to find the beat to a(ny) chant. I’ve seen it done with plenty of songs and chants before. The drum is just the pulse. The voices make the noise. The singing comes first (started by a capo, who may, shock horror, use a megaphone) then the drum just carries the singing and ties the voices together. It’s brilliant. 

Bill Ward might be free, seems to have been ostracised of late from his day job!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

46 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why was there a bagpiper outside the Holte pub pre kick off?

Trinity road has some sort of geographical breakdown before kickoff. You have Scottish bagpipes and a bloke selling black country pork scratchings. It's official as wears a white coat.

• Like 1

Â