Increasing Club Revenue

hippo

Spurs probably make millions from their NFL link up too. 

There's a lot they'll do with a new stadium we can't. And a lot of that will be tied to them being in London as well. We have to come up with other ways of reducing the gap as the same things they do won't always work for us.

There's definitely plenty of room for us to get much closer, and hopefully the Adidas deal is the start of that. Getting Champions League would help so much. 

Edited by MrBlack

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Spurs probably make millions from their NFL link up too. 

There's a lot they'll do with a new stadium we can't. And a lot of that will be tied to them being in London as well. We have to come up with other ways of reducing the gap as the same things they do won't always work for us.

There's definitely plenty of room for us to get much closer, and hopefully the Adidas deal is the start of that. Getting Champions League would help so much. 

Those are opportunities you get from a new, cutting edge and modern stadium though.

Majority of our fans would be against this " building of a soulless bowl " etc., an issue, as I've voiced.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Those are opportunities you get from a new, cutting edge and modern stadium though.

Majority of our fans would be against this " building of a soulless bowl " etc., an issue, as I've voiced.

It doesn't have to be a bowl. Just modernised with appropriate facilities. A new North Stand would have offered that, without destroying the history or soul of the stadium. Realistically, we need a bigger capacity to get anything like an NFL game being played at villa park though.

There's ways round getting something like those opportunities without needing an entirely new stadium, but not without getting an extra 20k seats.  And with that comes the need to improve transport to and from the ground.

• Like 2

Increasing the revenue from a 'fan' is always going to hard.

Most of the big clubs have tourist 'fan's.  I think Utd said something like we dont care about the ticket to the game....its the £200 they spend in the shop.  Unfortunately we dont have these tourist fans....add in the london factor....there is a choice of teams to watch top flight football....we are on our own and Birmingham isnt as popular as London.

Maybe the marketing department could do something with this but who knows.

If we are looking at selling merchandise....its outrageous that a shirt costs the upmost of £70.  I don't buy one but for my two kids its round the same price and they change them every year.  The demand for kit is high but the price deters people....im not maths expert but if a shirt was say £40 I'd be more inclined to but all three at £120 so for two kids that £100 more than just selling one shirt.   If more do that....surely thats way more £ in the clubs pocket????

Talking about increasing revenue, look at just published Newcastle figures for last season (that's before they got any CL money). 

28f428f6-27c0-4cc9-b568-605fbac63f9e_177

£70m revenue increase....this train is departing quickly and we ain't catching it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Talking about increasing revenue, look at just published Newcastle figures for last season (that's before they got any CL money). 

28f428f6-27c0-4cc9-b568-605fbac63f9e_177

£70m revenue increase....this train is departing quickly and we ain't catching it.

Most of that increase is broadcasting,  which we should also see quite a big increase in. 

Not sure why there are two commercial lines, but the ~30m they got there will no doubt be heavily weighted towards the self sponsorship they got, for which we won't ever be catching up with them. But we will get closer with Adidas.

As a STH for the women's team, I think it would be an idea for your attendance history to count towards tickets for the men's team. I don't go to the men's games, mainly because of transport, living almost 100 miles away, but when I do think about going to a game I have to wait for tickets to go on general sale as I have to recent attendance history.

As a women's STH I'm still putting my money into the club, maybe by linking the two it would help to increase attendance into the women's team too, helping make that stronger.

I can see the argument that this could be used as a cheap way to get in, by buying a £10 ticket for the women's and not bothering to go as it's relatively cheap but surely by having your ticket scanned, they know if you've actually attended, is that not how the pride rewards work?

Probably wouldn't bring in loads of money but I can only see it benefitting Villa as a whole.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think our original proposal for a new North Stand and Villa live was perfect timing with our improvement on the pitch. We need to do two things 

1. Catch up with clubs who timed things really well in the 2010s with commercial, retail, expansion etc

2. Make sure that we catch more casual fans. I appreciate the poi t about fans outside those who go to games being important but, at the same time, there is nothing like being 'hooked' on a club Vying virtue of your first visit to a game and my fear is that a 42k Villa Park for the Emery era means we aren't going to be picking up, either, the young kids who get hooked or the tourists who will spend a fortune in the shop/future villa live.

I have reasons for thinking it is a mistake to delay as we will just fall further behind and fail to capitalise properly on our own purple patch. I just felt what we had planned was the pitch perfect solution for us as we got to keep our historical location while modernising. I do feel very deflated that it is all on hold.

I read about Everton's woes last night and their issues are a mix of transfer fees, wages, and interest payments on loans. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Most of that increase is broadcasting,  which we should also see quite a big increase in. 

Not sure why there are two commercial lines, but the ~30m they got there will no doubt be heavily weighted towards the self sponsorship they got, for which we won't ever be catching up with them. But we will get closer with Adidas.

How the hell they managed to increase the Match day revenue by £10m without ticket price increase? Their hospitality/corporate must be well ahead of ours if they can essentially generate double the match day revenue of ours with only extra 10k seats...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

2. Make sure that we catch more casual fans. I appreciate the poi t about fans outside those who go to games being important but, at the same time, there is nothing like being 'hooked' on a club Vying virtue of your first visit to a game and my fear is that a 42k Villa Park for the Emery era means we aren't going to be picking up, either, the young kids who get hooked or the tourists who will spend a fortune in the shop/future villa live.

I agree that we need more casual fans, but I think it's important to note what type of fans the club will be chasing down.

Only 1% of Villa fans will ever go to a game - and the club will be chasing down those that want to wear a Villa shirt on the sofa, or at their local bar when they watch us - the big room for growth in supporter spends is those people, it's trying to sell a million shirts in the US, not getting more from the couple of hundred first timers at Villa Park on matchday.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree that we need more casual fans, but I think it's important to note what type of fans the club will be chasing down.

Only 1% of Villa fans will ever go to a game - and the club will be chasing down those that want to wear a Villa shirt on the sofa, or at their local bar when they watch us - the big room for growth in supporter spends is those people, it's trying to sell a million shirts in the US, not getting more from the couple of hundred first timers at Villa Park on matchday.

For context, in the first week after signing Zlatan, Man Utd generated £76m in additional revenue...

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

For context, in the first week after signing Zlatan, Man Utd generated £76m in additional revenue...

Know what it was when they resigned Ronaldo?

Would Villa have any chance of Messi now we have Adidas?

Would make business sense!

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Only 1% of Villa fans will ever go to a game 

Ey? That isn't remotely true surely.

For a club like Man United with a billion "fans" maybe, but the vast majority of our fans are from the Midlands area, and in particular Birmingham itself.

Aside from the few Scandinavians (around 1,000 in the Norwegian Lions), a good few Irish and the odd American, we have not got a massive global following.

Sure there's a smattering of Aussies too and you can find odd examples but our global appeal isn't very big at all.

In Asia it's non existant.

I have rarely met a Villa fan in the 100+ countries I've visited who is actually from there. (A few rare cases aside)

I would say more like 25 times the number of fans you suggested, would at some point go to a Villa game. 

Edited by GlobalVillan

How did Spurs revenue increase so dramatically compared to the rest of the league?

Looking at their qualification for CL over past 14 seasons, they've only actually been in it 6 out of those 14 seasons. From the 11-12 to 15-16 seasons, they weren't in the CL at all, being in Europa for those 5 seasons.

If we can become a Europa mainstay under Unai, with some seasons getting CL qualification, what's stopping us from reaching the commercial heights of Spurs?    

3 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

How the hell they managed to increase the Match day revenue by £10m without ticket price increase? Their hospitality/corporate must be well ahead of ours if they can essentially generate double the match day revenue of ours with only extra 10k seats...

Perhaps that’s why we have appointed Heck? Let’s see what our figures are when they’re released. Since Heck has sided with punishment for FFP transgressions, I’d imagine that our figures are reasonably healthy or at least he expects them to be in the near future. 

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

I’d be f’in annoyed if we allowed Coca Cola to have a meeting with Ratcliffe at VP. 
If it is for us, shirt sponsor? , you’d expect they’d be paying big bucks for that, but knowing our luck the PL would stop advertising sugary drinks 

Â