Increasing Club Revenue

hippo

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Instead, the BBC has been told the plan is for the Premier League to agree voluntarily to changes to the front of shirts.

It is believed top-flight clubs are yet to vote on this.

... that bodes well. Not.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Potentially bad news for our books (though I suspect it wouldn't come in for a season or two), great news for society. Take care of the hoardings and the relentless half time odds checks next, please.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64717364

Yep bad for clubs finances but I really don't care, clubs will adjust. They should be banned from advertising.

The folks at Villa think that the self enforced 'ban' will be phased in over a number of years so as not to allow a competitive advantage for teams who have gambling money today versus those that won't have the opportunity to go out and get a gambling sponsor. I think the league would like this 'ban' to come in over a period of maybe five or six years.

I think if we get government oversight, we'll see more immediate action on banning the use of Premier league shirts to advertise gambling in markets where it's illegal and where it's associated with organised crime. I think that's the bit that terrifies the Premier league. 

From a selfish point of view, at the moment there are three tiers of sponsor (or four if you include Etihad who put in about £8m but it magically turns into £57m a season after Sheik Marvo the magician waves his oil wand at it)  - there are a handful of huge and legitimate companies that want to be associated with the super clubs and will pay £40m a year, there are shady groups of far Eastern gambling companies willing to pay half that and then there are smaller legitimate companies willing to pay around £6-8m a year.

Clubs like us need that bridging group, even if they are ethically questionable - if we end up getting £30m over five years while Spurs get £200m - the chances of breaking into Europe are even more remote.

Football is difficult to love.

• Like 1

Oh, and paradoxically, the looming spectre of an upcoming ban is creating a clamour amongst gambling companies to make hay while the sun is still shining, which is actually increasing the price they're willing to pay to get onto a shirt that might be seen in erm...(don't say China, don't say China, don't say China)...their target market.

If this self-imposed ban happens then clubs will just take money from any other financially dubious investment platform instead.  Companies advertising wholesome cuddly products aren't in a position to give millions of pounds on sponsoring football clubs. It will be replacing one vice with another.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

We are competing with this 

i was also coming to post this. Spurs have absolutely nailed the commercial model for football clubs. Its no longer enough to have people visit your stadium 19 times a year. Villa are a long way behind the group that were trying to emulate.

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

i was also coming to post this. Spurs have absolutely nailed the commercial model for football clubs. Its no longer enough to have people visit your stadium 19 times a year. Villa are a long way behind the group that were trying to emulate.

The problem is that Villa Park is based in what only kindly could be said, as a not great part of Birmingham. Tottenham is a dump but a London dump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

The problem is that Villa Park is based in what only kindly could be said, as a not great part of Birmingham. Tottenham is a dump but a London dump.

I hate to sound like a downer about this topic, but I do think Aston Villa's own particular "brand" will always have a comparably low ceiling globally, whereas I can see local brands outside of England--strategically seeded by Villa--only increasing in recognition and commercial power. We're much more likely capitalise on growth by investing in completely autonomous and separate and LOCALISED -- in terms of branding, not financials -- clubs outside the UK.   

It's a complicated thing, but the the brands themselves of mid-table and even top clubs from the Premier League reaching a certain level of salience (in the USA, for example, where I live) will always end up being victims of their own success. That's a good thing. For a club like Villa, well, I think it's a big ask to move upwards in recognition any more than incrementally. 

It's the liberating nature of the game itself that's to blame, if you ask me.

When a bunch of kids play a weekend pickup game at our local schoolyard, they might wear, at first, their Chelsea or Man United kits or whatever. But they're not idiots. Very soon,  they realise, hey, I can go see a professional match in Philadelphia or Columbus or Austin or wherever in my own backyard. The MLS and college and local kits come out.

Why should I wear this dumb kit from a club in a far-away place, they think, with no connection to me and whose players generally don't give a shit about my world?

So, once kids get lit up about "soccer," you really think they're going to pour that excitement into an enterprise many of them couldn't even find on a map? No ****-ing way on earth. The game in their own country may not have the quality of the Premier League, but it has the power of proximity and cultural familiarity.

Localised branding is the only way commercial global growth will work.       

And believe it or not (and don't trust the American Premier League-carrying TV networks to whisper this), but all those manufactured "Premier League At Disney" sort of events to make it look like the Premier League is at some kind of cultural tipping point in the USA, for example, they end up primarily helping to seed local soccer's incredible growth. And that's a good thing, once again.

I don't want an American "Aston Villa," that's for sure. But a Detroit or Pittsburgh or Shreveport-based club connected financially with Villa could be amazing. MLS is growing here. The more the Premier League inspires kids in the USA, the more, eventually, the Premier League will help sow home-grown American soccer, not its own and certainly not Villa's  fame. The goal of commercial global growth should never be about raising the stature of Aston Villa. It should be about creating a meshed network of mutually beneficial relationships. I know, that's all sounding a bit David Brentish and "weekend corporate retreat-like," but there you go.   

spacer.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

The only good thing out of this is if your levy or lewis why the hell would you sell the club? Its  agold mine will make they shit loads of money.

Thats the one goid thing spurs wont be sold any time soon  i dont think. Them two are holding them back.

One thing villa park has is the location its more central so if we can get thw advertising done right and the build then its a good opportunity for us

I know a lot of fans will probably laugh but once expansion goes ahead they should try get events like wwe, and sports events at villa park. The PR it would do for villa park would be incredible 

By tying ourselves to Villa park and ruling out a new mega stadium. we’ve limited our possible lines of income - but we’ve also not got a billion in (lt) debt - we must be creative but fear they are just too far ahead 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I hate to sound like a downer about this topic, but I do think Aston Villa's own particular "brand" will always have a comparably low ceiling globally, whereas I can see local brands outside of England--strategically seeded by Villa--only increasing in recognition and commercial power. We're much more likely capitalise on growth by investing in completely autonomous and separate and LOCALISED -- in terms of branding, not financials -- clubs outside the UK.   

It's a complicated thing, but the the brands themselves of mid-table and even top clubs from the Premier League reaching a certain level of salience (in the USA, for example, where I live) will always end up being victims of their own success. That's a good thing. For a club like Villa, well, I think it's a big ask to move upwards in recognition any more than incrementally. 

When a bunch of kids play a weekend pickup game at our local schoolyard, they might wear, at first, their Chelsea or Man United kits or whatever. But they're not idiots. Very soon,  they realise, hey, I can go see a professional match in Philadelphia or Columbus or Austin or wherever in my own backyard. The MLS and college and local kits come out.

Why should I wear this dumb kit from a club in a far-away place, they think, with no connection to me and whose players generally don't give a shit about my world?

So, once kids get lit up about "soccer," you really think they're going to pour that excitement into an enterprise many of them couldn't even find on a map? No ****-ing way on earth. The game in their own country may not have the quality of the Premier League, but it has the power of proximity and cultural familiarity.

And believe it or not (and don't trust the American Premier League-carrying TV networks to whisper this), but all those manufactured "Premier League At Disney" sort of events to make it look like the Premier League is at some kind of cultural tipping point in the USA, for example, they end up primarily helping to seed local soccer's incredible growth. And that's a good thing, once again.

I don't want an American "Aston Villa," that's for sure. But a Detroit or Pittsburgh or Shreveport-based club connected financially with Villa could be amazing. MLS is growing here. The more the Premier League inspires kids in the USA, the more, eventually, the Premier League will help sow home-grown American soccer, not its own and certainly not Villa's  fame. The goal of commercial global growth should never be about raising the stature of Aston Villa. It should be about creating a meshed network of mutually beneficial relationships. I know, that's all sounding a bit David Brentish and "weekend corporate retreat-like," but there you go.   

spacer.png

That may be true in America, but you only have to look at the Asian countries and support for Liverpool/Utd to show that they don’t go support a local team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I know a lot of fans will probably laugh but once expansion goes ahead they should try get events like wwe, and sports events at villa park. The PR it would do for villa park would be incredible 

Pink is playing Villa Park soon, that is a start...

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Tottenham is a dump. London however is a f'n awesome place to live. 

Yeah London is the centre of the civilised world for many people. I meet and talk to people all over the world everyday (through my job) and for most of them London is the place many want to either visit or work in.

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

spacer.png

Nice write up.

I can only speak for myself, as we have the A-league down here that is in many ways similar to the MLS (albeit with less money and a smaller national population to draw from).

I can't remember exactly when I last went to my local club Sydney FC to watch a match - but I know I took my son, bought him a cap and a shirt. He was pre-teen at the time - he's now 22.

In that time, the only Villa matches I failed to watch live was when I couldn't get coverage of the Championship down here.

It may correlate for others as you stated in your post, meaning greater revenue/interest from local support - but it's not a blanket rule judging from my own experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Does the supercross world championships not count as sport?

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The only good thing out of this is if your levy or lewis why the hell would you sell the club? Its  agold mine will make they shit loads of money.

Thats the one goid thing spurs wont be sold any time soon  i dont think. Them two are holding them back.

One thing villa park has is the location its more central so if we can get thw advertising done right and the build then its a good opportunity for us

i agree, the goal has to be making villa park a location used more than 20 times a year. We need to compete with areas like the NEC/NIA (whatever either is now called) and WWE and sporting events are a big part of that. The big challenge is probably transport, im still interested to hear how an additional 10k are going to get to the ground on a match day. The same restriction would exist for non football events i assume. 

• Like 1

Thats the beauty of the spurs stadium. The surrounding area is a dump but you no longer spend any time in it. You move from the train into the spurs complex and spend your entire time there. Food/drink and plenty of meeting space is all catered for. The downside is it does very little for the surrounding areas.

Villa Park needs to learn from this. I've friend whos a local policemen and he will always discourage me from spending time near to the ground outside of matchday. Hes shared several stories of knives and guns being recovered within proximity to the ground. Making villa park feel safe for families in the future is something else that needs to be considered when increasing commercial value.

• Like 1

Â