Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

On 04/02/2024 at 10:43, jimmygreaves said:

As wonderful as Bailey has been this season and exceptional in recent weeks he's been objectively terrible for the majority of his time here.

His uptick in form has coincided with new contract negotiations it would appear.

I really hope the two aren't connected.

Lee Hendrie syndrome

His form's probably more to do that he's finally healthy.

He seems a fragile player and constantly carrying a knock but if he can kill a team for 50-60 minutes, then that's going to be his role.

6 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

His form's probably more to do that he's finally healthy.

He seems a fragile player and constantly carrying a knock but if he can kill a team for 50-60 minutes, then that's going to be his role.

And he’s also playing with confidence. The talent was never in doubt.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A year ago he wasn’t good enough for this league and now he’s better than Mo Salah 😃 

Maybe, a year ago, he wasn't good enough, but players form goes up and down, as does consistency come and go.....The great players as you know, find a constant level of consistency, for most of the time....thats what makes them Elite.

But we as spectators, can only say what we see, at that given moment.....players who are consistent, do get slack from the crowd, when they have a dip, and thats only to be expected.

so what is Leons true form?....I don't know, but wingers are traditionally up and down, providing your name is not Giggs....I just hope he can maintain, his rich vein of form.

When Leon is on, he is a joy to watch, so I will just comment on his games, as I see it, at that time.

Bound to hear someone say, you said he was great last week....he was poo today.

...inevitable.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Maybe, a year ago, he wasn't good enough, but players form goes up and down, as does consistency come and go.....The great players as you know, find a constant level of consistency, for most of the time....thats what makes them Elite.

But we as spectators, can only say what we see, at that given moment.....players who are consistent, do get slack from the crowd, when they have a dip, and thats only to be expected.

so what is Leons true form?....I don't know, but wingers are traditionally up and down, providing your name is not Giggs....I just hope he can maintain, his rich vein of form.

When Leon is on, he is a joy to watch, so I will just comment on his games, as I see it, at that time.

Bound to hear someone say, you said he was great last week....he was poo today.

...inevitable.

There is a difference between thinking he is playing poorly or out of form or thinking he is shit and we should sell him.  Too many are quick to make the latter conclusion for talented players in my opinion. We’ve seen it for Mings, Watkins, Konsa, Mgcinn, Luiz and Bailey!  

• Like 1

I think importantly, fans have now seen what he is actually capable of when he's on it.

Hopefully this means if he goes through a dip of form in future, he'll get more patience..

If/when that does happen, it would be perfect for Moussa to then become the " best version of himself " - Steven Gerrard

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think importantly, fans have now seen what he is actually capable of when he's on it.

Hopefully this means if he goes through a dip of form in future, he'll get more patience..

If/when that does happen, it would be perfect for Moussa to then become the " best version of himself " - Steven Gerrard

I don't think many of us doubted his capability, it's was his consistency that was in doubt. He has now started to produce the type of performance that he had in that Everton cameo, soon after he had arrived, now he is doing it on a weekly basis 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I don't think many of us doubted his capability, it's was his consistency that was in doubt. He has now started to produce the type of performance that he had in that Everton cameo, soon after he had arrived, now he is doing it on a weekly basis 

If I'm honest, I think he's actually now better than I've ever seen him in his career ( Admittedly, relatively limited before Villa ), and that's credit to him and Unai.

I tend to look at it this way also, with regards to the contract as well, if a team like Man U had him, instead of Antony, they are much higher up the table imo. ( Slight sidetrack as I saw someone being hesitant online about whatever money he may now be getting )

Edit: Even from Leverkusen fan reports it seems consistency was was frustrated them with him at times too

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A year ago he wasn’t good enough for this league and now he’s better than Mo Salah 😃 

Longer than that. He was our player of the month in November 2022. 

• Like 1

Bailey deserves a new contract and has become a major asset for us this season, so it should be a no brainer from our side you’d think.

Just got to hope he’s not demanding too much and/or considering not signing an extension here.

He came to Villa having played both left and right for Leverkeusen . And in his last season there had got i think 16 goals and 11 assists across all comps. He was a bit hot and cold in his time there but when on it was explosive. The games were so open though and he always had space to get in behind. 

Came to Villa and found no space . Got injured . Came back and still found no space. Thats when we started to get frustrated with him going down blind alleys.  Still came up with moments of magic but mostly it was really bad for him. Alot of us even questioned if he was quick and if he was done in the league  . Emery came in and he scored within 3 mins of Emerys first game. Still had issues with consistency but Emery kept on playing him. I think we thought that he must be doing exceptionally in training to still get starts. 

Then the summer comes, Diaby gets signed and we are thinking at best he is back up for Diaby if he is injured.

And then we start to see a different Bailey .  The manager likes to give him 30 mins as a sub or 60 as a starter. And we see skill pace goals assists and big creativity. Him being trusted to play right mid and the defensive responsibilites that it entails. Gradually he has gone from magic moments to being more and more consistent. A goal one game, assist the next. Causing chaos when he comes on whether with his left or right. 

The turn against Gvardiol and then the chop , followed by his great assist for McGinn against Arsenal and hitting the crossbar against Warsaw were him at his very best. Went a bit quieter in the next gamees but back to his best v Newcastle and then Sheffield. 

We have a real player on our hands. This isnt a purple patch. Its him relearning his position taking into account the better defenders and lack of space in the Prem. His body position is so different now. His cockiness on the ball. How he never looked at the ball the other night while his feet were controlling the ball. And then cutting in and instantly curling in a beauty 

A really talented player and one that is showing us more and more with every game. He isnt a speed merchant. He is a skillful player with real vision that just happens to have after burners. 

Theres my ultra biased view on him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

No he hasn't, that's bollocks. The majority of his time here has been spent under Unai Emery and he's been decent and then excellent since. His first year at the club was marred by injury, adapting to the league and having Steven **** Gerrard as manager. The 18 months or so since have been very good. 

With the greatest of respect - you are clearly a huge fan and have Bailey tinted glasses I’m afraid.

He has been great this season and we are happy to have him in this form - however feel free to dress it up as much as you wish, but he has been pretty poor overall.

if for whatever reason - he had been sold pre - season, personally I doubt many of us would have been overly concerned at this.

I’ve never been his biggest fan, but right now I am thankful for him, and his current form/ goals etc but I can’t overlook seeing some pretty abject performances from him in the past.

Are we seeing a player in a truly rich vein of form or a player showing what he is truly capable of - time is the only answer to this question. 
Hopefully it’s the latter, but please let’s have it right. There is an alternative view here. In my humble opinion 

3 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

With the greatest of respect - you are clearly a huge fan and have Bailey tinted glasses I’m afraid.

He has been great this season and we are happy to have him in this form - however feel free to dress it up as much as you wish, but he has been pretty poor overall.

if for whatever reason - he had been sold pre - season, personally I doubt many of us would have been overly concerned at this.

I’ve never been his biggest fan, but right now I am thankful for him, and his current form/ goals etc but I can’t overlook seeing some pretty abject performances from him in the past.

Are we seeing a player in a truly rich vein of form or a player showing what he is truly capable of - time is the only answer to this question. 
Hopefully it’s the latter, but please let’s have it right. There is an alternative view here. In my humble opinion 

He's been here 2 and a half years. The first year was stop/start with injuries, managerial change and he never found any form - nobody is arguing that he played well then. Since Emery came in, which is what, 18 months? He's been good, was improving and this season excellent. It's wrong to say that the majority of the time he's been here he's been 'pretty poor' - it's just demonstrably untrue.

I really don't understand why you have such a hard time admitting that you might have been wrong about a player. There is no shame in that. Doubling down, however, doesn't reflect well at all. 

Â