Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

He's a great sub to bring on in home matches, and he made an immediate impact today. The challenge is to get him at that level consistently, as he just can't seem to replicate his home form away from Villa Park. Mind you, he's not alone in that.

As always, plays well when coming on at home. 

It’s bizarre how he can be so effective from the bench and so downright abysmal whenever he starts games.

Im fine with it. He offers us something in nearly every game in which he comes on in, I just can’t understand how he can’t do it from the beginning of matches. 

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s bizarre how he can be so effective from the bench and so downright abysmal whenever he starts games.

Im fine with it. He offers us something in nearly every game in which he comes on in, I just can’t understand how he can’t do it from the beginning of matches. 

Yes I agree - I truthfully don’t see him as a regular starter.

I guess he is like many wingers before him, he is consistently inconsistent.

I don’t think I will ever be one of his staunchest fans, but if he can replicate todays impact on a regular basis - he might just become our very own David Fairclough 

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Seems to be finding less blind alleys to run down and now is an assist king. Another who is responding to Unais coaching..

• Like 1

I think the thing with Bailey is that he’s most effective in space so it makes sense he’s effective as a sub at home when we’re winning. Then opponent is chasing and on comes Bailey to punish them. Unai’s 60th minute counter punch. 

The few games we play that will have space, he struggles with the build up play and as a result doesn’t start. Until he can do that, he’s best used as a counter punch when the opponent is pushing forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I think the thing with Bailey is that he’s most effective in space so it makes sense he’s effective as a sub at home when we’re winning. Then opponent is chasing and on comes Bailey to punish them. Unai’s 60th minute counter punch. 

The few games we play that will have space, he struggles with the build up play and as a result doesn’t start. Until he can do that, he’s best used as a counter punch when the opponent is pushing forward. 

Forest is a great example. Being behind the opposition could double up on him. Far better when he can get one on one and isolate defenders. 

14 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Seems to be finding less blind alleys to run down and now is an assist king. Another who is responding to Unais coaching..

Exactly the reason why Emery persevered with him. I’m assuming Traore for all his natural ability doesn’t respond to coaching hence the limited minutes.

9 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Exactly the reason why Emery persevered with him. I’m assuming Traore for all his natural ability doesn’t respond to coaching hence the limited minutes.

Yes it’s an odd one for sure - For me Bertie is our most naturally gifted footballer, but for whatever reason Unai does not fancy/trust him.

• Like 1

Â