Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Bailey is a conundrum. The talent and potential is there, but how long do you give a player to get to the required level? He's been here two years and we have seen flashes of the player we want but there is always another injury or loss of confidence around the corner. In the summer perhaps we replace Bert and have the new winger compete with Bailey. That way it gives him more time to develop into the player we want without holding back the team.

1 minute ago, I Make Pies said:

Bailey is a conundrum. The talent and potential is there, but how long do you give a player to get to the required level? He's been here two years and we have seen flashes of the player we want but there is always another injury or loss of confidence around the corner. In the summer perhaps we replace Bert and have the new winger compete with Bailey. That way it gives him more time to develop into the player we want without holding back the team.

It's his decision making though. It's not as if he's unlucky or close to being excellent. His decision making is consistently awful.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It's his decision making though. It's not as if he's unlucky or close to being excellent. His decision making is consistently awful.

Both Bailey and Buendia frustrate me doing this and it happens more often than not.

9 minutes ago, I Make Pies said:

The conditions at the club are ideal for player development so let's hope Emery can work his magic on him.

It hasn't worked and it won't work. Sell him, and get a proper forward in, somebody who will fit in with Emery's style of play.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, there is clear evidence that Purslow is responsible for the signing of Bailey 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

Apart from the video of him explaining the signing of players, Leon included, to replace Grealish, there’s hardly any evidence at all. 

• Like 1

I’m disappointed that it hasn’t worked as I expected. I was so excited about this signing but sometimes these things don’t work out for whatever reason.

But when you’re low on confidence you should simplify your game and not try too hard. 

• Like 1

The fact that he's the only player not to have improved under Emery suggests to me that it's not going to work out.

Deano used to talk about how important it was for players to be 'coachable' - that they could take on board instructions about how to improve their game and what they needed to do for the team tactically. Clearly that's a massive priority for Unai as well. 

Bailey seems like a nice guy but I am not sure he is coachable.

I think we'll struggle to sell him for anything remotely reasonable but if we could I'd be minded to take it and move on.

More likely he's part of the squad next year, we've had far worse bench options and I hope he can learn to come on and affect games in short periods.

Think he will be a squad player next season unless a silly offer comes in for him, which I very much doubt, but this is where we may see him grow as a player, definitely think he has ability just getting it out of him consistently is the issue. If anybody can get a tune out of him I'm sure it will be Emery although no signs of improvements so far 😫

8 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Apart from the video of him explaining the signing of players, Leon included, to replace Grealish, there’s hardly any evidence at all. 

How is that evidence that HE chose the players. That's such utter bollocks. We've a team of scouts, a director of football and a manager. Yet another LAUGHABLE attack. 

• Like 1

If we could get 25m for him, I'd sell him.

I like the guy, seems like a nice bloke and he does work hard, but I just don't think he's suited to the way we play. It's not to his strengths. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

So by this token, you make him responsible for our successful signings as well then?

Do you think Purslow is in the Sporting Analytics office with the recruitment team, Lange and Management rewinding video and telling them who to sign based on a " feeling in my waters "?

Would it not make sense that this is a collective, where Purslow gets direction from the responsible departments and then ultimately signs off on their choices and suggestions?

He also makes videos talking about catering and ticketing, doesn't mean he is in the kitchen directing Doris on how many sugars to put in the tea ffs.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I like the guy, seems like a nice bloke and he does work hard, but I just don't think he's suited to the way we play. It's not to his strengths. 

There's absolutely zero prospect of getting 25m for him. His value is probably about £15m at most. 

Guest av1

I can’t see us selling Bertie and Bailey during the summer, it would love us too short even if we bring in one or two forwards. 

Though he hasn’t been great, If I had to choose I’d keep Bailey over Bertie. 

13 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

Sadly, Bailey is a flop. We may as well admit it.

How many players have we seen over the years, with Talent, who couldn't apply it effectively...?

Also, The game is littered with players who are nice blokes.....and some that never made it, his far in the game, were nice blokes....kids who get released are nice kids and their families, who have dedicated their lives to it.

This is a ruthless game to make it in, and Luck, plays a decent part. We as a football club are just part of that game, and we have to be ruthless to survive and compete.

Leon doesn't seem to  like traffic....he wants open spaces.....you won't get that in a league, where they will tackle pidgeons if they are on the pitch....it becomes more physical, as each season passes, and with the authorites, turning a blind eye, this year to robust challenges, he is not best suited to it.....its so easy to take him out, with the slightest physical application.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I think if we was offered £25 m the negotiator, would choke, and seek gas and air.

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

I can’t see us selling Bertie and Bailey during the summer, it would love us too short even if we bring in one or two forwards. 

Though he hasn’t been great, If I had to choose I’d keep Bailey over Bertie. 

we need buyers to sell......we don't seem to have many of them, under the circumstances of our encouraging run.

Only a few of our players attract predators.

Â