Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I am very disappointed with Bailey. I thought he was such an exciting signing.

Neither he nor Bailey is good enough to take us forward.

Is that Bailey, or Bailey? 😉

Edited by Strog
  • Haha 2

He’d be more effective on the left, especially as we’ve now signed Moreno. He could play a role similar to Danjuma at Valencia up top with Ollie and able to get his shots away without having to cut back inside which is too predictable. 

15 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

If he was a 10 million pound signing you might be more forgiving for the massive swings in his performances.

25 Million for the Bailey we have seen so far is a rip-off in my eyes.

Traore was better for my money.

What do you think you get these days from a 25 million signing? Wesley cost 23 amd Chukwuemeka 20 million

Morgan Gibbs White with his 2 goals 2 assists so far will cost up to 42 million

12 hours ago, Lochheads twin said:

I think one of the problems at the moment is Bailey is the only wide option we have, unless I am missing someone other than Ollie. Successive managers have cleared out AEG, Trez & Traore without bringing in any replacements. This has left us in a position where there is not alternative for this berth and we are having to play him when he is not on form. The current situation is not solely Leon's fault. Lets hope this is addressed soon.

It was just one "manager" who did that 😢

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What do you think you get these days from a 25 million signing? Wesley cost 23 amd Chukwuemeka 20 million

All of those players cost that much because of their potential and may have still been overpriced regardless.

Brighton and Brentford have never even paid 25m or more for a player and look at wherr they are. Fulham have only paid that fee for 2 players in their history and none of them are even still with them.

Most clubs outside the big 6 only have 1-2 players on their squad who cost that if at all. Don’t try and tell me that 25 million doesn’t get you anything when the majority of the starters in the league don’t even cost that much.

with the money we’ve spent, our players should be good enough to get us between 7-10th. But they’re not even that good are they?

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, av1 said:

He’d be more effective on the left, especially as we’ve now signed Moreno. He could play a role similar to Danjuma at Valencia up top with Ollie and able to get his shots away without having to cut back inside which is too predictable. 

I liked him on the right at Leverkeusen but  here in the Prem he should be playing left. If you have a quick player then you need to stretch the pitch  as wide as possible . I remember that game v Everton with his 25 minute cameo. He was on the left and the commentator said that he would be giving defenders nightnares before playing against him  

39 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

All of those players cost that much because of their potential and may have still been overpriced regardless.

Brighton and Brentford have never even paid 25m or more for a player and look at wherr they are. Fulham have only paid that fee for 2 players in their history and none of them are even still with them.

Most clubs outside the big 6 only have 1-2 players on their squad who cost that if at all. Don’t try and tell me that 25 million doesn’t get you anything when the majority of the starters in the league don’t even cost that much.

with the money we’ve spent, our players should be good enough to get us between 7-10th. But they’re not even that good are they?

A very good point, and as a tightwad I like to get value for money and Aston Villa over the last few years have definitely not been getting a return on their investment. If I was the owner I would be asking "you want how much for ANOTHER left back? Didn't I buy one for £15 million last year, what's happened to that one? Maybe time to ditch the spreadsheets and go back to traditional ways of finding talent.

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

wesley was massively overpriced, apparently due to needing to pay to secure work permit. we pissed ourselves when we got 20m for chuk. and every football fan pissed themselves when MSW was bought for 42m. it's not a fair barometer IMO

there are plenty of bargains out there. man city got alvarez for 14m.

44 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Brentford just spent 22 million on Schade and Leeds are spending 30 million on Rutter and neither have the same pedigree as Bailey

25 million was really nothing in the current market

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

wesley was massively overpriced, apparently due to needing to pay to secure work permit. we pissed ourselves when we got 20m for chuk. and every football fan pissed themselves when MSW was bought for 42m. it's not a fair barometer IMO

there are plenty of bargains out there. man city got alvarez for 14m.

Of course bargains are about but point is I dont think 25 million guarantees a good player anymore

He’ll be relegated to a substitute by the time this season is out. And he certainly won’t be anywhere near the XI by the time we start next season. Not unless he massively improves - which I’m not sure he will because I don’t actually think it’s linked to effort/desire. I think he’s actually really trying, I just don’t think he has the pace and ability at this level to play the way he wants to play.

Anyway, it will be really interesting to see how it plays out because he won’t want to be on the bench and his father will get involved. Trouble is, nobody is going to give us close to what we paid for him. Grabs popcorn. 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’ll be relegated to a substitute by the time this season is out. And he certainly won’t be anywhere near the XI by the time we start next season. Not unless he massively improves - which I’m not sure he will because I don’t actually think it’s linked to effort/desire. I think he’s actually really trying, I just don’t think he has the pace and ability at this level to play the way he wants to play.

Anyway, it will be really interesting to see how it plays out because he won’t want to be on the bench and his father will get involved. Trouble is, nobody is going to give us close to what we paid for him. Grabs popcorn. 

Also he'll have 2 years left on his contract so if there's a time to sell him it'll be this summer. I think everyone deserves the time to learn and impress under Emery and we can make decisions in Summer. Nobody who is getting regular game time ATM will be sold this window. Especially any attacking players 

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Also he'll have 2 years left on his contract so if there's a time to sell him it'll be this summer. I think everyone deserves the time to learn and impress under Emery and we can make decisions in Summer. Nobody who is getting regular game time ATM will be sold this window. Especially any attacking players 

I suspect you are right, unless we get crazy bids for some of them. 

We have nothing really to play for anymore, unless we go on a good run and are close to a European spot.  The remainder of the season will be sued by Emery to decide who he's keeping.

44 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I suspect you are right, unless we get crazy bids for some of them. 

We have nothing really to play for anymore, unless we go on a good run and are close to a European spot.  The remainder of the season will be sued by Emery to decide who he's keeping.

Agreed, I think realistically 9th or 10th is achievable. The top 7 is set in stone. Newcastle plus sky 6. Brighton probably will get 8th or if Fulham feel like they want to do a Wolves on it and play amazing all season.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Brentford just spent 22 million on Schade and Leeds are spending 30 million on Rutter and neither have the same pedigree as Bailey

25 million was really nothing in the current market

We'll be lucky to finish 11th this season imo. How many more 25-30 million pound players do we need before this is achievable? 

West Ham have spent a fortune in the summer and arguably look worse for it. Sometimes its the right combo of players to get a solid foundation that is most needed, we haven't had that since O Neil left.

Â