Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I dont disagree with anything you are saying, but I guess the point I was making is if we have the choice of playing Bailey or Coutinho on the left; Ings or Watkins up front; Bissouma or Nakamba at DM; Sanson or McGinn in a midfield berth etc, thats strength in depth, we could rotate and still be strong every game, even in the cups, so why would be want to sell Bailey or Ings or Sanson, for me we need to keep upgrading all positions so we have at least two players who are very, very good. In Europe we woidl be playing midweek and weekends most of the season when you include domestic cups, we need the very good players in depth as well as youth to occasionally introduce (rather than rely upon in the Cups).

I’m not with selling Bailey. But I’d sell Watkins, Cash, Sanson/Luiz and Targett. Ofcourse not all at once. But we’ll need to upgrade on those (we’ve done with Targett, but I’m not sure we have a young cover). Watkins price would reduce, and to go to next level we’ll need an improvement. I’d sell him and get Suarez until we find the proper CF. 
Cash as well we’ll need a Digne there. We shall sell as once he gets to the bench his price will reduce. Potentially Kesler could take his place on bench. 
So in reality it’s not selling for the sake of it, but improve the starting line up. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I dont disagree with anything you are saying, but I guess the point I was making is if we have the choice of playing Bailey or Coutinho on the left; Ings or Watkins up front; Bissouma or Nakamba at DM; Sanson or McGinn in a midfield berth etc, thats strength in depth, we could rotate and still be strong every game, even in the cups, so why would be want to sell Bailey or Ings or Sanson, for me we need to keep upgrading all positions so we have at least two players who are very, very good. In Europe we woidl be playing midweek and weekends most of the season when you include domestic cups, we need the very good players in depth as well as youth to occasionally introduce (rather than rely upon in the Cups).

I’m not with selling Bailey. But I’d sell Watkins, Cash, Sanson/Luiz and Targett. Ofcourse not all at once. But we’ll need to upgrade on those (we’ve done with Targett, but I’m not sure we have a young cover). Watkins price would reduce, and to go to next level we’ll need an improvement. I’d sell him and get Suarez until we find the proper CF. 
Cash as well we’ll need a Digne there. We shall sell as once he gets to the bench his price will reduce. Potentially Kesler could take his place on bench. 
So in reality it’s not selling for the sake of it, but improve the starting line up. 

11 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Wow. You'd sell Watkins!! The best striker we have had in ages. An England international and a supposed target for Liverpool and Arsenal. And replace him with a 34 year old who is approaching the end of his, admittedly stellar, career. I think Watkins is a fundamental piece in our jigsaw.  Danny Ings is a fine finisher but doesn't fit in a Stevie G 4-3-2-1. I didn't understand the acquisition in the summer and it just hasn't worked - we should have moved for Daka or Edouard as backup to Ollie and spent the difference on Olise (if we could have got him out of London).  We need to get Ollie back to "9" - where he was great last season when he had supply (Jack). With Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey ( back on topic) to supply he can be even better.

Cash is raw and young but he has much better physicality than Targett and I wouldn't be rushing to throw him out but would be looking to coach and improve him. I do believe Kessler can push him.

Imho the big spend needs to be on a progressive DCM (with Nakamba as back up and Dougie as an "8"). We also need another CB. I do agree that Targett probably needs to move on in the summer and, ideally, gets replaced with Hickey as Digne back up - if he would come to be back up. El Ghazi should have gone in the summer and Trez should be off soon.

Bailey fits perfectly for me because he can play left or right (means that you can play two from three and sub/rotate) and means that you can have a kid - job or Chukie - as fourth choice.

I do, however, agree that it will be hard to have two genuine quality options for each position without European football to allow for rotation.

20 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Wow. You'd sell Watkins!! The best striker we have had in ages. An England international and a supposed target for Liverpool and Arsenal. And replace him with a 34 year old who is approaching the end of his, admittedly stellar, career. I think Watkins is a fundamental piece in our jigsaw.  Danny Ings is a fine finisher but doesn't fit in a Stevie G 4-3-2-1. I didn't understand the acquisition in the summer and it just hasn't worked - we should have moved for Daka or Edouard as backup to Ollie and spent the difference on Olise (if we could have got him out of London).  We need to get Ollie back to "9" - where he was great last season when he had supply (Jack). With Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey ( back on topic) to supply he can be even better.

Cash is raw and young but he has much better physicality than Targett and I wouldn't be rushing to throw him out but would be looking to coach and improve him. I do believe Kessler can push him.

Imho the big spend needs to be on a progressive DCM (with Nakamba as back up and Dougie as an "8"). We also need another CB. I do agree that Targett probably needs to move on in the summer and, ideally, gets replaced with Hickey as Digne back up - if he would come to be back up. El Ghazi should have gone in the summer and Trez should be off soon.

Bailey fits perfectly for me because he can play left or right (means that you can play two from three and sub/rotate) and means that you can have a kid - job or Chukie - as fourth choice.

I do, however, agree that it will be hard to have two genuine quality options for each position without European football to allow for rotation.

Because we will not get the money we’ll get now. Suarez will only be temporary as I think in the summer we’ll try and find a new striker anyway.

El Ghazi and Trez should’ve been sold last two windows. 

We need to sell at the right time. We all know we need a DM. Once we get him we’ll need to shift either Nakamba or Luiz. Their prices are good. Once they don’t play their prices will go down. 

The thing with Cash and Targett is that other teams knows Targett is a backup and won’t spend. While Cash is playing regularly, Targett might get a good price if it was a panic buy from the likes of Newcastle. 

would be great to have him back on the bench for the leeds game.

I think with Coutinho & Buendia, we can afford to break him in gently, and hopefully not suffer a relapse of the injury, or a similar muscle injury.

While he is getting up to speed, he should be a nasty player to bring on with 20/25 minutes to go.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2022 at 11:11, thunderball said:

I am still pinching myself when you look at how our "cover" has improved every year since we got promoted in most positions.  There is still work to do - some of it through transfers, some through the promotion of academy players but we want players to have to fight for the shirt, know that they need to do their job well or that there will be someone snapping at their heels after that starting position / after that place on the bench.  This is the closest I think we have been to that position for probably 15 years.  There will always be times when we have an injury or two - the challenge is to make sure that we are almost as strong a team on the pitch when that does happen.  We had 3 seasons when if Jack was out injured then we went from being decent to frankly being ****.  Already we are at the point where I don't think we have that cliff-edge situation (unless Mings and Konsa get injured) but definitely still areas to improve.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

would be great to have him back on the bench for the leeds game.

I think with Coutinho & Buendia, we can afford to break him in gently, and hopefully not suffer a relapse of the injury, or a similar muscle injury.

While he is getting up to speed, he should be a nasty player to bring on with 20/25 minutes to go.

Awesome.  Also it means that we can say to the likes of Coutinho - just go out and play for 65/70 minutes and pace yourself accordingly.  Means that the defender has to deal with Coutinho giving an extra 10% and then with 20 odd minutes left he suddenly has to cope with a fresh and eager Bailey running at him.  Bring.  It.  On.

29 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Hate to say it but his last couple of performances before his injury really dampened my enthusiasm for Bailey. I hope he can get it going again.

Amazing how well Traore did in goals and assists in limited minutes last season and some want him gone and Bailey is first XI material after not looking that great

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Amazing how well Traore did in goals and assists in limited minutes last season and some want him gone and Bailey is first XI material after not looking that great

That's because Traore isn't the shiny new toy anymore. He was bought a lifetime ago don't you know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He could easily adapt and be like Antonio and play the front man role if Ings and Watkins still dont adapt

He’s nothing like Antonio, nowhere near the same physique or build, can you imagine playing long balls up to Bailey and expecting him to win and hold up the ball? Don’t see it myself.

• Like 1

Will be great to have him back… the array of attacking talent we have now is amazing… just need it all to “gel” or “click” and we’ll be scoring for fun.

Bailey is a huge talent but the fact that his place in the side is not guaranteed just shows how much we have progressed in that department… 

He brings something different too, pace & explosiveness and he strikes the ball so well. Just imagine him at his best (we’ve yet to see it, largely due to injuries and a lack of fitness), linking up with our better players…

Again, it really is amazing to see how much we’ve managed to strengthen/improve the squad/team in such a short duration of time… maybe a few of us are acting a bit spoilt and overly slating existing players (and ridiculing certain links as not good enough etc.) because of it… always helps to look back at where we’ve come from and not completely forget our struggles from time to time. A bit of humility and perspective goes a long way…

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He’s nothing like Antonio, nowhere near the same physique or build, can you imagine playing long balls up to Bailey and expecting him to win and hold up the ball? Don’t see it myself.

Well I hope we would not be playing long balls up to our striker as that is not really a great tactic but Buendia and Coutinho slipping in a pacy forward will cause different types of havoc

• Like 1

I could see Bailey playing up front and linking well with Buendia and Coutinho… an exciting prospect. Depending on the game, system and opposition…

He could even be a better option than our present CFs… I wouldn’t rule it out…

I think he’d excel playing in support of the striker too and his overall attributes or skillset are probably more suited to that. I think he’s more than “just a winger”.

This is one of the top, young, attacking prospects in European football we are talking about… it was a shock that we managed to sign him. That shouldn’t be overlooked.

We’ve just got to get him fit and get the best out of him… patience…

The talent we have in our squad now… wow!

• Like 1

Â