Play Off Finals Championship League 1 & League 2

andykeenan

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I read earlier in the week that the Sunderland v Sheffield Wednesday game going to have the biggest ever play-off semi-final attendance over the two legs, which is quite something for a League One game.

mad to think that a League 1 club has a stadium with 49k capacity!

(amazing how Sunderland fell down the leagues)

Wednesday really poor that half, I think the most consecutive passes they put together was when the ball was in the air and they were playing 'head tennis' in the middle of park, losing all the 50-50s, and just generally giving the ball away too easily, their defending for Sunderland's goal expressed the essential features of their poor first half really quite succinctly. Sunderland weren't that much better, and took a mistake for them to score, before that they weren't really threatening.

Wednesday can probably take a positive from the fact that despite how poor they were, they're still only one nil down, with 90 minutes still left to play at their own ground, and surely they can't be as bad in the second leg. Sunderland could yet rue that they didn't finish the game off today, or at least put themselves in a much more advantageous position.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Gotta say that Sunderland fans really do back their team. Incredible they get 49k in league one

What? They don't, they haven't broken 40k this season, and their average is about 30k. Still good for League 1, but even in the PL they rarely sold out. They've broken the 40k barrier once since 2017.

They might sell out for a big day out in Wembley, but week in, week out, they never do, not even in the top flight.

Edited by Davkaus

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What? They don't, they haven't broken 40k this season, and their average is about 30k. Still good for League 1, but even in the PL they rarely sold out. They've broken the 40k barrier once since 2017.

They might sell out for a big day out in Wembley, but week in, week out, they never do, not even in the top flight.

It looked a sell out tonight? There was iver 44k there so close to full capacity

Edited by Demitri_C

3 hours ago, useless said:

Wednesday need a spell of possession, they've barely strung more than a few passes together so far.

Only listened on radio but hardly heard Bannan's name, thought he was injured but he was out there.

I think they'll turn it around for second leg. Sunderland missed plenty of chances so think they may regret that.

On 04/05/2022 at 23:16, useless said:

Sheffield United coming up would be most boring, they play Fulham on the last day whilst Middlesbrough play Preston, so still a chance that Middlesbrough could replace them in the top six.

This looking unlikely now, Sheffield United beating Fulham 3-0 and Middlesbrough losing to Preston 2-0.

Edited by useless

Going to be really tough, but hope MK Dons can turn it around against Wycombe this evening, would be good to see him get a game at Wembley as a reward for the good season he's had. Even if they don't make it, it's been a very good year for him.

Edited by useless

Wycombe through to the final, MK Dons probably should have won, they were the better team over the two legs, but at the same time probably only have themselves to blame that they've been knocked out.

He didn't do badly but I thought it was awkward game for Kesler-Hayden he didn't seem to be playing in his normal postion.

From what I've seen so far would expect both Sunderland and Wednesday to beat Wycombe in the final, both took four points from The Chairboys this season.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Wycombe through to the final, MK Dons probably should have won, they were the better team over the two legs, but at the same time probably only have themselves to blame that they've been knocked out.

He didn't do badly but I thought it was awkward game for Kesler-Hayden he didn't seem to be playing in his normal postion.

From what I've seen so far would expect both Sunderland and Wednesday to beat Wycombe in the final, both took four points from The Chairboys this season.

FWIW, MK Dons took 6 points from Wycombe.  They've beaten them three times this season, but the sole loss has knocked them out of the playoffs.

Wycombe also in the second best form in the league over the last 10 games.  Sunderland are 1st, Sheff Wed are 3rd.  That final will be tight.

I wanted MK Dons to win but only because we have a player on loan with them, otherwise would have preferred Wycombe, even if I don't like some of their 'gamesmanship' antics.

If they can win the whole thing there's a part of me that would feel quite pleased for them, as I remember when they were promoted the last time they got some criticism, as it was being argued that they didn't deserve their place in the play-offs because when the season was cancelled they were actually in eighth place, but finished top six on points per game basis, so if they do it this time around at least they can say the did it fair and square.

12 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Wycombe should’ve also stayed up last season with Derby getting the points deduction then. Hope they come back up, funnier the longer Sunderland stay down as well.

Mostly this.  Wycombe or Sheff Wed plz, keep Sunderland down there.

• Like 1

Â