Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

• 1 month later...

I really want to like Buendia yet I found his play quite frustrating last season...

This is his third year and he's already been managed by three (four with Danks) Managers; it's not going to help.

Hopefully under Emery he can continue to improve and get better.

There's definitely a great player there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Been a huge disappointment and is an overrated player yet Bailey gets most criticism. Poor value for money so far 

Because he's been nowhere near as bad as Bailey.

Had plenty of good games. Plenty of bad ones as well of course.

He's the one player who got worse under Emery.

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What has he done to justify his price tag ? 

He hasn't! Been a disappointment.

On 24/05/2021 at 11:38, Tomaszk said:

I'm not 100% sold on him for that sort of money.

He's definitely a good player, but that is top tier dosh.

Ultimately, I don't actually care because it isn't my money but overspending is a bad habit to get in to.

Had no problem with Watkins because I knew he'd be a success. Does it make sense to pay double the price for Buendia than West Ham did for Benrahma? Not sure.

Overpaid.

Impressive under Gerrard when we were garbage IMO. Perhaps because there was minimal tactics and he could float round a bit more?

• Like 1

It is looking like we overpaid for him. 

But he's not a bad player. 

We signed a player that looked amazing playing a very specific role behind a very in-sync forward.

This has not transitioned to playing to the same level for us. 

Not sure if Emery can adjust the system to work with him, but I'm not sure we'll see Buendia get any better than he is already in the current system. He works ok in it, but doesn't look like a £33m player in it. 

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Been a huge disappointment and is an overrated player yet Bailey gets most criticism. Poor value for money so far 

I agree he's not great and was over priced but he contributes a lot more than Bailey and puts in some effort. He's a £20m player but we had to pay nearly double that for him.

5 hours ago, thabucks said:

Because he gets more goals more assists creates more and works harder? Equally as frustrating and wasteful mind you.

9 hours ago, thabucks said:

5 goals 2 assists and 10 of those games were under Gerrard. THat’s ok for a midfielder playing a 2/3 of a season, I expect him to kick on this coming season.

47 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

5 goals 2 assists and 10 of those games were under Gerrard. THat’s ok for a midfielder playing a 2/3 of a season, I expect him to kick on this coming season.

2 assists from a creative midfielder who cost as much as he did is awful … And over two seasons his record in 73 games is 8 assists and 9 goals ! What excuse you gunna use to defend that given also Gerrard gave him a free role.  In 51 games Bailey has 5 goals and 6 assists but yet gets more criticism and played under Gerrard also who favoured a narrow formation. 

I struggle to consider how Bailey can be viewed as a better player than Emi. 
With the exception of Bert - Emi is our most naturally gifted player.

If you consider how Unai has improved Ollie, who let’s be honest, is no where near as gifted a player as Emi is, then surely you would have an argument to say, let’s wait and see? 
Maybe he will have to contend with less game time this coming season - but I for one do think that he will have a blast in Europe 

• Confused 1

Buendia is tenacious, works hard and clearly has ability. However, like Bailey and Ings, of our famous 2021 intake, he cannot (yet) be considered a success. 

Part of the problem has been the fact that he had played under 3 different villa managers, and 3 different systems in his 3 seasons with us. I think he would have done better if we had more consistency about what we were doing.

I think he has a future with us but, despite being our record signing, I see him pretty much as a squad player for where we are now. I am not sure exactly where he fits if you consider him in the first eleven - maybe playing behind the striker? Still has time to turn it around of course. Big season for him. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Buendia is tenacious, works hard and clearly has ability. However, like Bailey and Ings, of our famous 2021 intake, he cannot (yet) be considered a success. 

Part of the problem has been the fact that he had played under 3 different villa managers, and 3 different systems in his 3 seasons with us. I think he would have done better if we had more consistency about what we were doing.

I think he has a future with us but, despite being our record signing, I see him pretty much as a squad player for where we are now. I am not sure exactly where he fits if you consider him in the first eleven - maybe playing behind the striker? Still has time to turn it around of course. Big season for him. 

Tenacious B !  :)

• Like 1

Â