Hall of Fame Villa Games

Don_Simon

The 4-4 at Stamford Bridge was entertaining. Tony Moon(1-3) at Arsenal was fun too.

Real answer for me is the final in Rotterdam and Inter Milan game.

5-1 against Bolton at home was fun because we trolled Elmander by screaming on swedish from the sidelines.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A 4-2 win away at Spurs from 2-0 down - A penalty, a Carbone volley from just outside the box, a Dublin overhead kick and an Alan Wright screamer from thirty yards - all in twelve glorious, insane minutes of pure madness and joy in the away end.

I have no recollection of this game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Deano’s (Dean Saunders) debut double against Liverpool, the team he’d sign from in that week.

I was at that match.

Another I went to was Villa winning against Internazionale 2-0, and their team featuring three World Cup winners in Matthaus, Brehme and Klinsmann.

I'm sure the match was televised live on ITV, I'd love to watch the entire ninety. Platt was immense and he was a demi-god to me at that time.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A 4-2 win away at Spurs from 2-0 down - A penalty, a Carbone volley from just outside the box, a Dublin overhead kick and an Alan Wright screamer from thirty yards - all in twelve glorious, insane minutes of pure madness and joy in the away end.

We played some really good stuff from December 1999 onwards in that season, makes just going all negative in the cup final even more unacceptable although tbh we were s*** in the SF and very lucky not to get through and Bolton weren't even a prem team at the time so that was the warning.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2021 at 14:58, bannedfromHandV said:

We had a cracking midweek game against Sheff Weds in the mid-late 90’s, ended 3-2 with Townsend scoring the winner I think. 

Regi Blinker scored for Wednesday, and it was my birthday and my name was read out over the tannoy at HT :) 

I was there for that. I think Blinker scored twice?

We played QPR a few days later I think and won 4-2?

• Like 1

On 14/05/2021 at 22:31, bannedfromHandV said:

The home game against Atletico Madrid (we won but went out on away goals) was an amazing atmosphere.

What an atmosphere. Maybe the best i've heard down VP? Hendrie was ace that night and Collymore certainly made the crowd louder in the second half. 

Other great games

Villa 2 Inter 0

Villa 3 Tranmere 1

Villa 1 Inter 0

• Like 1

On 14/05/2021 at 22:31, bannedfromHandV said:

The home game against Atletico Madrid (we won but went out on away goals) was an amazing atmosphere.

A game where you could feel the energy in the crowd from the 1st minute. When collymore scored I ended up 4 rows forward and had no idea how I had got there.

You've got to also have the coca cola cup final win in there. Never has a team controlled a final so well.

• Like 1

Great question. I’ve never been to VP. A few that stick out in my mind:

2013 season opener 3-1 at the Emirates. Match that hooked me on Villa

2014 or 2015 when we beat Man City 3-2 with a Weimann winner

Beating Liverpool in the FA Cup semifinal at Wembley in 2015(?)

7-2 against Liverpool this season

Playoff final win is the highlight of my fandom

• Like 1

Play off final last 10 minutes was probably the most nervous I've ever been watching a game (if we're ever 1 up v Man. United going into injury time at VP that will top it. Or 1 up in FA cup final...)

Mings went down injured, Derby scored from that attack and he had to go up and eventually there was 7 minutes added on and they had a couple of corners in that period. To say I was mildly worried we'd concede and then lose in extra time would be an understatement! Especially as we needed that promotion so much.

From games I attended the Tranmere semi without a doubt. I was 9 years of age up the Holte end with my Dad and Uncle sat on the crash barrier and still remember it vividly. I'd been to a few games before that but that was the game I think really cemented my love of the club and the passion I still carry today. 

For years gone by, would have to be the Rotterdam final 

On 14/05/2021 at 20:44, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I was at that match.

Another I went to was Villa winning against Internazionale 2-0, and their team featuring three World Cup winners in Matthaus, Brehme and Klinsmann.

I'm sure the match was televised live on ITV, I'd love to watch the entire ninety. Platt was immense and he was a demi-god to me at that time.

Said it before but Paul Birch (may he rest in peace) had Matthaus in his back pocket that night and I'm sure LM still has the occasional nightmare about it !

• Like 1

Tranmere obviously, absolutely immense. 

I don't think anyone has mentioned Aston Villa 6 Everton 2, a brilliant game which cemented Platt as one of the best players in England and saw him on his way to Italia 90.

The 2015 FA Cup Semi Final was brilliant.  Never thought we had a chance of getting anything, the emergence of Jack Grealish, probably the final proof that there was a great player in there.  Getting to the FA Cup final which is such a rarity for us although that actual match best forgotten. 

On Tranmere it was by a distance my best match experience having been standing in The Holte regularly since about 1983.  Looking back it was maybe it's final chance to really let rip.  It was something to behold, like an old champion boxer making a comeback with one last shot at glory, reliving the years of majesty. A lot of my time on that terrace had been standing in it half or worse empty.  The noise, the atmosphere, the manic celebrations were just otherworldly.

Only a few months later the buildozers moved in. Did this play a part subconsciously in everyone there in just giving it a little more? Not to say the game itself didn't deserve it, such a wonderful comeback. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Said it before but Paul Birch (may he rest in peace) had Matthaus in his back pocket that night and I'm sure LM still has the occasional nightmare about it !

Matthaus got his revenge in the second leg...

Â