Hall of Fame Villa Games

Don_Simon

I will give a shout out to the Leicester semi final leg at Villa Park. We were the underdogs but we fought hard and got the winner at the death.

Absolute scenes at the end. Those sort of nights I thought we might never get back. Villa Park is built for those types of games. Shame about the final yet again.

On 14/05/2021 at 20:30, OutByEaster? said:

A 4-2 win away at Spurs from 2-0 down - A penalty, a Carbone volley from just outside the box, a Dublin overhead kick and an Alan Wright screamer from thirty yards - all in twelve glorious, insane minutes of pure madness and joy in the away end.

A few years prior there was a 5-2 away win at Spurs where we were 2-0 down after ten minutes. I recall an OG by Teale put us 2 down and I was fearing the worst, and also was expecting a ton of grief at school on Monday. Teale had a nightmare for their first two goals, but then a rare Kevin Richardson goal, followed by goals from Ian Olney, Dwight Yorke, a cracker from Tony Daley and Cyrille Regis finishing off the scoreline. I strutted into school like John Travolta on the Monday and the Spurs fan who used to give me regular grief claimed he no longer supported Spurs 🤣

edit: Found a YouTube link to the game:-

Spurs 2 Aston Villa 5 from 1991

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 2

Been to all the previous mentioned games but not one came anywhere near the atmosphere v Man Ure in the 2nd leg semi final of the League Cup at Villa Park in December 23rd 1970. Villa in the old 3rd Division , Manchester arguably the best side in Europe full of fantastic internationals including Bobby Charlton, Denis law, George Best, Brian Kidd, Nobby Stiles, Stepney and others. 65,000 fans recorded at the time with many more on the Holte End than the 28,500 it held, the noise was unbelievable for the whole game, still gives me goose bumps writing this, oh and we beat them 2-1 after 1-1 at old trafford

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Matthaus got his revenge in the second leg...

Not exclusively him, but yeah whatever. 

Edited by mottaloo

So many memories of great games here :)

I'm going to go for two matches when I started to believe Villa were "back"!

1. Bradford City at home at a tense Villa Park in 1988.They were promotion rivals and Villa had to win. The roof came off when Platt headed Villa into the lead and we hung on for a massive win.

2. Rotherham away in 2019. Mings sent off and a Tammy missed penalty meant things hadn't started off so well, but a very impressive second half performance from Villa secured the points in what was a pivotal point in our 10 game winning run. Fans were awesome that night too.

Villa 5 Liverpool 1 

It was a surreal experience, we stood on the old Witton with the Liverpool supporters who were shell shocked to say the least. Woman behind us shouted come on Kev (Keegan) sort it out, Mother turned round and said ‘no chance’ to her 

We were pretty good that year at home

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Tranmere obviously, absolutely immense. 

I don't think anyone has mentioned Aston Villa 6 Everton 2, a brilliant game which cemented Platt as one of the best players in England and saw him on his way to Italia 90.

The 2015 FA Cup Semi Final was brilliant.  Never thought we had a chance of getting anything, the emergence of Jack Grealish, probably the final proof that there was a great player in there.  Getting to the FA Cup final which is such a rarity for us although that actual match best forgotten. 

On Tranmere it was by a distance my best match experience having been standing in The Holte regularly since about 1983.  Looking back it was maybe it's final chance to really let rip.  It was something to behold, like an old champion boxer making a comeback with one last shot at glory, reliving the years of majesty. A lot of my time on that terrace had been standing in it half or worse empty.  The noise, the atmosphere, the manic celebrations were just otherworldly.

Only a few months later the buildozers moved in. Did this play a part subconsciously in everyone there in just giving it a little more? Not to say the game itself didn't deserve it, such a wonderful comeback. 

The Everton game has parallels with the Liverpool game this season. Everton were near the top and fancied for a league challenge. We destroyed them. Watched that on TV. Seem to recall going to a bonfire later that evening!

As for the Holte. I remember the bulldozers waiting outside after the last game of the season - a victory against Liverpool. It was rammed that day! 

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Not exclusively him, but yeah whatever. 

That ball was over the byline before he crossed it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Xela said:

The Everton game has parallels with the Liverpool game this season. Everton were near the top and fancied for a league challenge. We destroyed them. Watched that on TV. Seem to recall going to a bonfire later that evening!

I know for a fact somewhere in my loft is a video tape with that match on it. 

I might try find it out and watch it.  I still actually have the VCR wired up to the tellybox believe it or not.. Actually used it for the first time in probably 8 years recently to watch a Billy Connolly video. 

On 16/05/2021 at 08:48, cheltenham_villa said:

A game where you could feel the energy in the crowd from the 1st minute. When collymore scored I ended up 4 rows forward and had no idea how I had got there.

You've got to also have the coca cola cup final win in there. Never has a team controlled a final so well.

I think that Collymore goal is the loudest and craziest celebrations I've been part of at VP.

• Like 1

I can't exactly remember much about the games themselves other than I thought it was the most bestest thing in the world ever, but in 1988 we beat Blues 2 - 0 at The Sty and then 5 - 0 at home winning 7 nil overall in The League Cup, and then played them at home again a couple of weeks later in The Simod Cup and beat them 6 - 0*.

13 Nil against them in the space of a month. Life doesn't get sweeter. 

Yes, the first team competed in 3 domestic Cup competitions a year.  What would Mr Klopp make of that? 

* Attendance at Villa Park was 8,324 apparently. Imagine that.  OK it was a very minor cup, and we'd only just played them, but really 8,324 against the Bkues.  Hard to imagine now. 

Edited by sidcow

Â