Hall of Fame Villa Games

Don_Simon

From early years of going:

Villa 3-2 Arsenal 1998- Aside from the awful accident at half time with the parachute guy it was an incredible comeback from us v a very good Arsenal team back then.

Villa 3-2 Leeds 2000 (FA cup)- This would be more fondly recalled if we'd actually gone to win it that year. Instead it gets forgotten a little. Great hat trick from Carbone that day (him bending it into top corner from near the corner flag remains one of the best goals I've seen live ) and Merse was also amazing and drew blood in build up to third goal when he clashed heads with Dubbery.

Villa 3-1 SHA 2006- That Cahill goal and generally a very sweet win considering how bad our record v them was at that point. Haven't lost in the league to them since.

Villa 2-0 Chelsea 2007- Full match is up on th Villaboy YT channel. Win that really kickstarted the MON reign and Chelsea 11 was stacked with talent and reached CL final although was Mourinho's last match in charge I think.

All our wins at Emirates since it opened, lucky to attend the ones in 2008, 2011 and 2013. Great away days.

1-0 win at Man. United 2009- Given our record v them in years up to that and since was a very very sweet feeling that Saturday evening.

2015 Liverpool cup SF- We were amazing that way but bit like Leeds it gets forgotten simply because of how bad we were in the final. Tranmere wouldn't be seen as that memorable if Man. United had just beaten us 3-0 in the 1994 final I reckon.

2019 play off final- The confirmation of the rebirth and just nice to finally win and played alright in a Wembley final of some sorts.

Those are mine off the top of my head (just recalled Ajax aswell in 2008 which was a brilliant atmosphere and good game).

Annoys me a bit that I can't go on YT or the club channel and search for a game and at least get extended highlights. Likes of Man. United win in 2009 and Leeds in 2000 there's barely any highlights beyond the goals so in these times I find that a bit odd and thought club might've put a few more out during lockdown last year.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Everton away in 2008. 2-3 with a Sidwell screamer, young winning it in the 93rd minute and wiping that smug face off Joleon Lescotts prat mug. 

scenes 

Watched it in a pub with an Everton mate so 100% this, was incredible 

Liverpool 7-2 is an obvious one but we had some good games vs them in the last 10 years even as we started to decline 

Blues 5-1 is another obvious one, ajax game, Leeds Cup final 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Everton away in 2008. 2-3 with a Sidwell screamer, young winning it in the 93rd minute and wiping that smug face off Joleon Lescotts prat mug. 

scenes 

My brother was there. I was so happy I wasn't there after 91 minutes, so jealous I wasn't there after 93!

• Like 1

the liverpool 7-2 was just a joy to watch, so for watching again on the sofa that would be it

i know it wasn't the question but if we're talking about going back and reliving a game watched in person, then there are a few candidates. blues 5-1, the derby 6-0, the sheff wed 3-1 during the 10 game run, arsenal 2-0 away are the ones that spring to mind. sure there are plenty of others though!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the liverpool 7-2 was just a joy to watch, so for watching again on the sofa that would be it

i know it wasn't the question but if we're talking about going back and reliving a game watched in person, then there are a few candidates. blues 5-1, the derby 6-0, the sheff wed 3-1 during the 10 game run, arsenal 2-0 away are the ones that spring to mind. sure there are plenty of others though!

This can be the question. I think if you're posting on a Villa forum you'd definitely rather watch the game live than in your pants with six beers on the sofa!

We had a cracking midweek game against Sheff Weds in the mid-late 90’s, ended 3-2 with Townsend scoring the winner I think. 

Regi Blinker scored for Wednesday, and it was my birthday and my name was read out over the tannoy at HT :) 

• Like 2

Tranmere Semi will always be the best game I have went to.  It literally had everything.

Sheffield Wednesday first game under Big Ron going 2-0 down and winning 3-2 was my favourite away game.

3-3 Everton away Sir Graham Taylors last game before taking over England was another game I would love to go back to.

Inter 2-0 at Villa Park 1990 another brilliant game and atmosphere.

• Like 3

Sheffield Wednesday away - Big Ron's first game. 2-0 down to winning 3-2, after he'd left them for us. So drunk.

Barcelona at home in the Super cup 1983. No Maradona, but wow. Amazing game. Had it all.

• Like 1

I sadly missed the Tranmere semi final as I was throwing up alot on that day. I watched it on tv though and was happy with the win, but gutted I couldn't go as I felt better by the time the gane kicked off. I went to see the final vs Man Utd though and that was the best day out ever, beer with my Dad before, listening to Man Utd fans singing we'd win f all, then beating Man Utd at Wembley to lift the cup against all expectation, shutting up the arrogant Utd fans and stopping their unprecedented treble, singing back at the Utd fans that they would win f all. That will go down as my greatest game. I think we all can thank Dalian Atkinson for that cup RIP.

I watched us beat Inter 2-0 and 1-0, both of those were great days but ultimately we didn't go on from those. Same goes for Atletico Madrid and Atletico Bilbao games. All of those European nights were great atmospheres, I wish we could get to see some again soon. 🤞

Edited by NeilS
typo
  • Like 3

Not sure if it’s just me, but something about the 7-2 felt a little hollow. Obviously it was incredible, but whether it was just how pathetic Liverpool were I’m not sure, even when they scored it never felt in doubt. Also a lot of the goals, while really well worked, had an element of good fortune. Then there’s the lack of crowd. Does go to show, it wouldn’t be the same exciting sport in the future if it was behind closed doors.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

Â