VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring it into Musical Chat, from the song thread. 25 years ago to the date. 

@Genie @villa4europe @lapal_fan @NoelVilla @Brumstopdogs @sharkyvilla

gX4pBWS.jpeg

Genie:

I can’t imagine how they felt as this came out. The absolute pinnacle.

I got 2 tracks into Liams latest album and had to turn it off. Absolutely horrendous, it’s slowly chipping away at what Oasis was.

It was the peak! The build up and hype to the album was insane. Knebworth in '96 and this a year later. The beginning of end really. The classic Oasis line up. Was never the same afterwards with the newcomers. They may have been better musicians but peak Oasis was more about the band being greater than the sum of their parts. Plus Noel should never have allowed anyone else to write! 

I barely listen to Liam's and Noel's solo stuff anymore, but the first 3 albums (and the Masterplan) will always be special to me. 

Sharkyvilla:

It came out the day before my 12th birthday and was my first album so I'll always love it.  The coke-fuelled gigs from that era are great too

I was 18! I remember getting the 114 bus into town (mate) and going to the big 5 storey HMV in the Pavilions on High Street. I think the bottom floor was just Oasis. 

I love the album. Flawed but that doesn't bother me. I had it on in the car this morning full blast as I went to Lichfield. I'll admit it, I think Magic Pie is still a good song! 

• Like 3

I remember going along to Our Price on the Monday thinking it was out and being gutted it wasn't, then being surprised my brother getting it for my birthday on the Friday.  I never did know why they released it on a Thursday.  Probably just because they could.  Sold 696,000 copies by the Sunday and over 800k in its first 7 days.  Also as Noel said, they broke the record for most CDs returned and refunded as well.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Still don't know why they only released don't go away in the states

Would have a huge single 

I’ve seen it suggested that a UK release was discussed, but he basically couldn’t be bothered to write any b-sides for it. All that cocaine wasn’t going to snort itself. I also think by the time of releasing a fourth single, there had a been a mood shift with the album and the band.

He always had the habit of chucking away would be hit songs, but I think he possibly avoided a bit of a headache with that one, as I can’t imagine The Real People would have been too impressed with it being a Wonderwall sized hit and not being given any acknowledgment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a look, the Japanese single came with a live recording of C&A, sad song which had only previously been released as a bonus track on DM and the war child Help album recording of fade away

Sad Song is another one, don't think it would have been as commercially successful as don't go away but to only have it as a bonus track on a vinyl release, didn't even make the masterplan, is crazy 

On 22/08/2022 at 07:56, villa4europe said:

Sad Song is another one, don't think it would have been as commercially successful as don't go away but to only have it as a bonus track on a vinyl release, didn't even make the masterplan, is crazy 

Thats the great thing about the early days of Oasis, so many other songs could have been huge hits. Probably could have had another couple of albums out of them, but the whole b-side thing adds to their appeal from that era! 

• Like 1

Was in Lichfield earlier, was mega busy, including lots of women, wearing not a lot - good times!

This is the reason why;

edit - Also the Lichfield Food Festival today as well.

d6a3980ae6ea5b2ca71cecb850a14d25976839ac

Edited by Xela

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Was in Lichfield earlier, was mega busy, including lots of women, wearing not a lot - good times!

This is the reason why;

d6a3980ae6ea5b2ca71cecb850a14d25976839ac

Rather brave of the promoters putting that on the same weekend as WordRemovedFields in Runcorn. And what have K-Klass done to James Barton to not be on at WordRemovedFields

Â