VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Potential Mars Volta news... :popcorn:

The-Mars-Volta.jpg?resize=750%2C422&ssl=1

Now that could mean absolutely anything (the last time there was an "announcement" it was just for that ridiculous 18-vinyl box set).

Damn it just announce a new album/tour like normal people, don't give me all this mysterious gubbins.

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Potential Mars Volta news... :popcorn:

The-Mars-Volta.jpg?resize=750%2C422&ssl=1

Now that could mean absolutely anything (the last time there was an "announcement" it was just for that ridiculous 18-vinyl box set).

Damn it just announce a new album/tour like normal people, don't give me all this mysterious gubbins.

Did you not see what this is?

The Mars Volta Have Unveiled An Audio/Visual ‘Voltacube’ In Los Angeles Featuring Apparent New Music

Eclectic Texan prog rock outfit The Mars Volta have just unveiled a temporary art installation of sorts at Grand Park in Los Angeles, CA. Today, June 19th, the band began letting the public into an elaborate box they’ve seemingly dubbed the ‘Voltacube’ in the aforementioned park. The cube houses an audio visual experience, which according to fans in attendance offers a 3-minute preview of a new song.

So yeah an art exposition with 3 minutes of a new song…

• Haha 1

As it happens, I really like both the the original Buffalo Springfield and the Public Enemy versions over in the funnies.

It’s a stone cold classic.

There was a group a few years ago, I used to go to some of their practise sessions as they were often held live in pubs. It was free, but you had to accept they really were breaking in material and rehearsing in front of drinkers. They got as far as doing three or four ‘real’ live sets, issued an album on CD and then they were lost to the worst fate of just sort of fizzling out.

But I’m happy because I saw them perform with Siobhan (in the video) but I also saw them do a set with Brother Culture and it just might be the best gig I’ve ever been to.

Rule number one. NEVER read anything about music in The Guardian

Opening paragraph of a Lee Scratch Perry obit of sorts

When I moved to Kingston, Jamaica, in 2003 for a job, it was in the month that Lee “Scratch” Perry won the best reggae album Grammy for Jamaican ET, a record that, in true Scratch style, contained everything including the kitchen sink. I remember tuning in to a call-in radio programme during which Jamaicans were wondering who this guy was. It was not entirely surprising – Perry, though arguably the most influential Jamaican artist (and therefore arguably one of the most influential artists ever), is most renowned for his work as producer rather than frontman.

LSP (as discussed previously) is credited with the first reggae "hit" in Jamaica, he produced the early Bob Marley and the Wailers material and really did help shape that sound, I could go on, and on and on and on but this imbecile wants you to believe that people in Jamaica had never heard of LSP because he was better known as a producer not a frontman, she then goes on to list 10 classic LSP tracks. 5 of them (at least) have LSP singing on them

F***ing idiot

Glastonbury coverage from last night. 

TLC sounded quite good, I would watch them if I was at a festival and they were playing. Wet Leg went down very well with my wife, although the vocals were low in the mix. Sam Fender, not for me, but I don't dislike him. JAMC, fair, this isn't their first rodeo. Arlo Parks, typical Sunday Brunch music act and they are never my thing. Plant and Krauss, in a fallow field the best I saw yesterday. 

Just listened to High Violet by The National (for the millionth time) and it is virtually a perfect album in my opinion, out in 2010 and I still listen to it regularly. 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Just listened to High Violet by The National (for the millionth time) and it is virtually a perfect album in my opinion, out in 2010 and I still listen to it regularly. 

Yep. Utterly fabulous album

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yep. Utterly fabulous album

They’ve done some good stuff before and since (Boxer, Trouble Will Find Me, etc) but that album is just next level. 
I have a limited vinyl collection where I only buy my fave albums, and I have it twice! (Normal and Extended edition)

• Like 2

There’s something a bit wonky about the Neu! page on Discogs.

It doesn’t list Neu! ‘86 as an album. But, it does list it as a 2 track EP, which mine isn’t. Also, if you click on Neu! 4, it then lists Neu! ‘86 as a variant of 4, but it has a wholly different track listing. Not helped by the Gronland pressing not having a serial number.

I only got to this level of nerdery because I had a note advising me of a Neu! Box set. A box set of ‘all 4’ of their albums plus a 5th album of covers by other bands. Well I thought, I’m surprised there are only 4 Neu! Albums… and off we went down the rabbit hole.

21 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Extended edition

Ooh. I might have to look that up. I bought it on CD when it came out - is there much extra on the extended version?

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s something a bit wonky about the Neu! page on Discogs.

It doesn’t list Neu! ‘86 as an album. But, it does list it as a 2 track EP, which mine isn’t. Also, if you click on Neu! 4, it then lists Neu! ‘86 as a variant of 4, but it has a wholly different track listing. Not helped by the Gronland pressing not having a serial number.

I only got to this level of nerdery because I had a note advising me of a Neu! Box set. A box set of ‘all 4’ of their albums plus a 5th album of covers by other bands. Well I thought, I’m surprised there are only 4 Neu! Albums… and off we went down the rabbit hole.

Haha, on Discogs and album is different to an LP and boy will you mind twist when you get to EP, the hell opens when you suggest mini-album :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Ooh. I might have to look that up. I bought it on CD when it came out - is there much extra on the extended version?

There’s some good stuff for fans on there, an alternate version of Terrible Love, a few new/rare tracks (including one which takes it’s chorus from a track they put on the full album, Anyone’s Ghost I think). And some live versions which are very nice, including an England live version.

It’s on Spotify if you wanted to listen before getting the vinyl: Spotify

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

In the interests of broadening my horizons, I just gave that a listen. 

Well I don't actually hate it, but otherwise, nope, can't see it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Maybe it’s a grower? What sort of stuff is your usual?

as Bickster says, they’re not the most instant of bands, but once they get in your head they stay there (in my experience)

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Albums by the National can take a few listens before they click especially for the first time listener. Certainly the case with me.

• Like 3

Â