VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Thanks to a random YouTube short I just found out Jay Z wrote the lyrics to Still DRE, snoop and dre's parts

Not sure if they've kept that really quiet or I just hadn't been looking 

Surprised by it, not just that it's a ghost writer song but that it was Jay z 

more stuff popping up on youtube...i've just found an album that a DJ did in 2011 but its not official so its not on spotify etc

Wu Tang vs the Beatles Enter the Magical Mystery Chambers

im not sure thye could offend VT more if they tried 😋

thats an "official" video from yesterday from a proper record label so maybe it is actually happening

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Good point - me or @bickster

2 birds with 1 stone

Probably came up as suggested cos I've spent a few hours in the last week watching videos on sampling* I can understand why a lot of people won't like it but the more I watch the more I'm convinced its an incredible skill and musical talent of a different kind, how do get that ear let alone the time and dedication to sift through that much music? How is Dr Dre stumbling across Parce Que Tu Crois by Charles Aznavour and turning it in to whats the difference? Its a huge skill

The mash up DJ stuff is different again, heard some good and some very bad but that wu tang vs the beatles so far from what I've heard is good 

I've never listened to the grey album which is Jay z's black album mashed with the beatles white album by danger mouse, that'll be next for me 

* that started because I was listening to the tramps, rubber band being used on love it or hate it which is one of my favourite hip hop beats 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Good point - me or @bickster

You more than me, I don't find it anywhere near as offensive as the original material. It's only The B**tles because they tell you it is.

The most offensive thing about sampling like this is that its dumb, they are literally throwing money at people for nothing

Take than first one posted Run. You get a bassist and a guitarist in the studio to replicate that very simple (obvs cos its Da Beadles) guitar and bass line phrase. Then use that. its no longer a sample and you cannot claim royalties for such a small segment of music, you can't even claim to own it. More money for the artist.

We had this situation with a sample of Diamanda Gallas in a song a band we were managing were recording. We applied to Diamanda Gallas to use the sample, she point blank refused permission. OK, walked upstairs to another office along the corridor from ours, an office of vocalists and a choir. Who can replicate this? So and so can hit that range. When can she get here and how much does she want? One hour - 50 quid, sign disclaimer, job done.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

You more than me, I don't find it anywhere near as offensive as the original material. It's only The B**tles because they tell you it is.

I don't particularly hate it because they've bastardised Beatles numbers. I just hate the whole **** ing genre. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I can understand why a lot of people won't like it but the more I watch the more I'm convinced its an incredible skill and musical talent of a different kind

Which is why this is still widely regarded as a classic (as it should be): 

spacer.png

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Woah

Unfortunately I'm in trouble on FB again. As with the McCartney Glasto debate I dared to suggest that Joni's voice is so far gone as to be unlistenable. I mean, I love her stuff, I have all the albums, and I'm happy she's recovered enough to perform, but frankly I found it awful. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Unfortunately I'm in trouble on FB again. As with the McCartney Glasto debate I dared to suggest that Joni's voice is so far gone as to be unlistenable. I mean, I love her stuff, I have all the albums, and I'm happy she's recovered enough to perform, but frankly I found it awful. 

I haven't watched it. In no rush to, either. 

Strange how some aging singers don't just do instrumental stuff. There's no shame in transitioning to other ways of expressing yourself through music. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I haven't watched it. In no rush to, either. 

Strange how some aging singers don't just do instrumental stuff. There's no shame in transitioning to other ways of expressing yourself through music. 

She did play one guitar instrumental. 

Funny thing is, even before she had the stroke she claimed she was done with music, and much happier doing painting. 

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I actually prefer her 90s era cigarette singing voice to earlier days. 

Must be impossible for her now to replicate her 60s-70s voice. 

Yeah, I agree about the later voice. But she just can't hit a note true anymore. 

• Sad 1

Am over in Borth on the west coast of Wales and as a result visited a few record shops. 

Andy's records in Aberystwyth, not for me but can see the attraction for those who have better taste. Good selection of new vinyl and CDs, aimed at the indie end of the market with some classics. Nothing purchased. 

Waggys in Machynlleth. Second hand, mostly rock, mainstream rock at that. No country, a solitary Cash compilation, that I don't own but as it had zero unique recordings it falls out of my list. Also quite expensive for a second hand record shop. Nothing bought. 

Unnamed record shop opposite. Closed. 

Not very productive therefore I am off to eBay. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Am over in Borth on the west coast of Wales and as a result visited a few record shops. 

Andy's records in Aberystwyth, not for me but can see the attraction for those who have better taste. Good selection of new vinyl and CDs, aimed at the indie end of the market with some classics. Nothing purchased. 

Waggys in Machynlleth. Second hand, mostly rock, mainstream rock at that. No country, a solitary Cash compilation, that I don't own but as it had zero unique recordings it falls out of my list. Also quite expensive for a second hand record shop. Nothing bought. 

Unnamed record shop opposite. Closed. 

Not very productive therefore I am off to eBay. 

Cob Records in Porthmadog? or is that too far. Never been myself but it's always been on a mental list since it always had ads in the NME

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

Cob Records in Porthmadog? or is that too far. Never been myself but it's always been on a mental list since it always had ads in the NME

Too far to be honest. Will be heading to Southport again in a couple of weeks so know I will be spending up there. 

• Like 1

Â