VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

On 13/12/2022 at 17:42, Stevo985 said:

Well just as a point, I didn't say the music was on a par with the 90s rap scene. I just said there was still good rap out there and it wasn't "dogshit" which is how you described it.

But just to put some names out there

Kendrick Lamar
Kanye West
Drake
Stormzy
Dave
Tyler the Creator
Childish Gambino
Travis Scott
J Cole
AJ Tracey
Headie One
Lil Nas X 
Kid Cudi
Pusha T
Future
Post Malone
Dababy
Doja

That's just a handful off the top of my head. Not all of that will be everyone's cup of tea and I'm certainly not saying they're all as good as 90s rap, but all of those have released music in the recent past that is very good.

No kano...

Give Made in the Manor a go and then move on to Hoodies all Summer @Demitri_C

He's the best UK rapper for me, would like to say kendrick is incredible but when he went overly political too much of it sailed over my head (good kid maad city is still his best imo simply because I feel like I get more of it) kano moved to more political on Hoodies and I understand it and its **** brilliant

Also listen to the hip hop saved my life podcast, firstly because roman ranganathan is funny and genuinely loves hip hop but you'll get snippets of what to give a go and you can join a long time debate they have on there... The vast majority of hip hop is shit live, which is another reason I like kano, he plays with a dj and a band, unfortunately his glasto set has been taken off but this is worth a listen

And then with the video you'll get an idea of what I mean about going political

Watch top boy too! Safe to say I'm a big kano fan 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No kano...

Give Made in the Manor a go and then move on to Hoodies all Summer @Demitri_C

He's the best UK rapper for me, would like to say kendrick is incredible but when he went overly political too much of it sailed over my head (good kid maad city is still his best imo simply because I feel like I get more of it) kano moved to more political on Hoodies and I understand it and its **** brilliant

Also listen to the hip hop saved my life podcast, firstly because roman ranganathan is funny and genuinely loves hip hop but you'll get snippets of what to give a go and you can join a long time debate they have on there... The vast majority of hip hop is shit live, which is another reason I like kano, he plays with a dj and a band, unfortunately his glasto set has been taken off but this is worth a listen

And then with the video you'll get an idea of what I mean about going political

Watch top boy too! Safe to say I'm a big kano fan 😜

Yeah Kano should be on the list definitely

On 14/12/2022 at 08:33, Stevo985 said:

If you don't know who Dave is then you should take an hour out of your day to listen to the whole of "Psychodrama" and then come back and tell me today's rap is dogshit with a straight face :) 

I'm almost - almost - tempted to attempt this challenge, but I don't want to trigger my Spotify or YouTube algorithm into thinking I like this stuff. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I'm almost - almost - tempted to attempt this challenge, but I don't want to trigger my Spotify or YouTube algorithm into thinking I like this stuff. 

It’s not for you Mike. If you want a taste then Black is the track to go to. If that doesn’t grab you, stop. 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

It’s not for you Mike. If you want a taste then Black is the track to go to. If that doesn’t grab you, stop. 

Tell you what, I'll stop right now, to avoid any unpleasantness. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I cracked and gave it a try. Nice piano intro. Then he opened his gob. I managed about another 30 seconds. 

If you're going to recite poetry, do it with some nuance, some drama. 

If you're going to sing, then SING. Y'know, with a TUNE. 

This staccato delivery is just so irritating. 

31 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Blimey. That IS good isn't it?

I'll give the album a spin.

It’s amazing. 

The last part, after he stands up, isn’t part of the original track. He added that for the Brits performance. But I love him even more for it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s amazing. 

The last part, after he stands up, isn’t part of the original track. He added that for the Brits performance. But I love him even more for it

it was purely that brits performance that made me buy his album, which is fantastic, but that whole performance I still watch regularly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

it was purely that brits performance that made me buy his album, which is fantastic, but that whole performance I still watch regularly.

Have you listened to the UK version of the Spotify dissect podcast? Called Decode, they cover dave's album

Dissect is pretty good, not a kanye fan but listened to a breakdown of his bigger songs and I at least have an appreciation of him now

Â