VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

what have the cribs done to get 3 albums in the top 10?

Reduced the digital price of their albums to £4.99 on iTunes all part of a fan lead campaign from what I can see

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

BBC4 this evening, for those of you who like this sort of thing. 

bbc4.jpg

Thanks Mike, Studio 17 is a great watch

Edit: or it was until just about the time Ali Campbell appears.

Went to Wolves Art Gallery today, they are doing an exhibition on black country music. Pwei, Mighty lemon drops etc. In addition there is a really big Slade exhibition which was excellent, really good. Don and Jim from the band are doing a talk there today but this fool only found this out last week and the tickets are long gone. 

All that said if you are interested in the music of the black country, it's a good exhibition of a few select names. Runs till late August. IMG_20220806_142402_(1000_x_750_pixel).jpg.9987e6dfc69c5cf27731568932893685.jpg

• Like 3

Didn't want to put this in the death pool thread cos I'm going to go off on a tangent 

Where do I start with philly sound? 

Something eye opening happened to me a few years back, I was in weston super mare with my dad for the weekend, I said I wanted to go check out a record shop and he tagged along, I'm perusing and my dad starts chatting to the owner and I slowly hear the conversation turn to motown vs philly sound... I never saw it coming but it turns out my dad is a massive massive philly fan, big enough to like confidently have that conversation with a record store owner, my mom said he's got the biggest 7" singles collection she's ever seen (careful KW) he was hunting for the one hues corporation single that he's missing 

So where do I start with it properly? I've glossed over the hues corporation and the spinners greatest hits so far and there are a couple of good songs but I've not found the opening to get deeper in to it

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't want to put this in the death pool thread cos I'm going to go off on a tangent 

Where do I start with philly sound? 

Something eye opening happened to me a few years back, I was in weston super mare with my dad for the weekend, I said I wanted to go check out a record shop and he tagged along, I'm perusing and my dad starts chatting to the owner and I slowly hear the conversation turn to motown vs philly sound... I never saw it coming but it turns out my dad is a massive massive philly fan, big enough to like confidently have that conversation with a record store owner, my mom said he's got the biggest 7" singles collection she's ever seen (careful KW) he was hunting for the one hues corporation single that he's missing 

So where do I start with it properly? I've glossed over the hues corporation and the spinners greatest hits so far and there are a couple of good songs but I've not found the opening to get deeper in to it

Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, should be lots of Best of's out there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Philly was OK, some decent records. But ultimately, it contributed to the horrors of disco, and the start of the awful decline in black American music. 

42 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

and the start of the awful decline in black American music. 

No, that was rap ! Appreciate you might not like Disco but a a working musician (drummer) some of that disco stuff was a guaranteed floor filler. Also used some ace musos , eg Steve Gadd played drums on "The Hustle". - Van McCoy.

"Ship Ahoy" by the O'Jays was rather controversial  at the time IIRC and possibly damaged their career but one of Gamble and Huff insisted it be released

Edited by veloman

1 hour ago, veloman said:

No, that was rap ! Appreciate you might not like Disco but a a working musician (drummer) some of that disco stuff was a guaranteed floor filler. Also used some ace musos , eg Steve Gadd played drums on "The Hustle". - Van McCoy.

"Ship Ahoy" by the O'Jays was rather controversial  at the time IIRC and possibly damaged their career but one of Gamble and Huff insisted it be released

Quite. I only said it was the start of the rot. Disco still had tunes, like Motown, but that samey bum-clap, bum-clap drum beat got very boring very quickly. And as I was never into clubs and dancing that aspect had little appeal to me. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

, but that samey bum-clap, bum-clap drum beat got very boring very quickly. 

Oh agreed and the like of the fine upstanding Jonathon King put that beat to all sorts of junk. But it also gave rise to some great licks; as a drummer you just HAD to be able to play those semi quavers on the hi hat and I believe those octave bass runs started with disco, like wise those neat little one bar guitar riffs ,as per 'Chic'. Early rap (to my knowledge) was a very different beast; made popular (IMO) by the likes of Millie Jackson and even EWF used  it in their live act. There was none of the vile misogynistic and sometimes homophobic stuff put out today. 

p02bzxyc-1896818413.jpg.78e7bd75b17878aee72860a6a471b485.jpg

:)

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Philly was OK, some decent records. But ultimately, it contributed to the horrors of disco, and the start of the awful decline in black American music. 

3 hours ago, veloman said:

No, that was rap !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Approximately 50,000 extra people have descended on Newquay, Cornwall for the Boardmasters Festival. Still on holiday here until the weekend. 

It’s carnage, mullets and the smell of Paco Rabanne everywhere!

Kids had a pic with Tom Fletcher from McFly on the beach this morning. Nice guy to be fair. 

55 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

One of those bands where I know a fair few of their songs but didn't know it was them 

You probably knew that the vocals were NOT sung by Harold Melvin !

Â