VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

4 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Wouldn't play CDs in a car but nor would I stream, I'd just be sticking my jailbroken iPod Classic into the aux in (or worst case scenario a loaded USB stick, if no aux in available).  Physical media and actually owning my shit trumps the "convenience" of streaming each and every time for me, and as I'm not a vinyl junkie, CDs are my go-to.  The mooted decline in popularity has actually been a huge boon for me, as people are flogging off all their CDs at record stores, I get more stuff to browse through and they're priced ever cheaper.  Last week alone I picked up the below across three record stores (including two new releases from an HMV, which is admittedly a very rare occurrence these days).  Could have been more, Thirteen Records in Dundee (the store that was set up in the wake of Groucho's closing) happily let me in the back (KW.jpg) to flick through the shelves and boxes of second-hand CDs they hadn't gotten round to putting out yet.  Could have happily spent hours down there, but at the 30 minute mark I could sense the burgeoning murderous intent from my wife.

image.png.5d14f3c7ddfb3ce5c91ea6d3a052ca12.png

That Scott Walker/Sunn O))) colab is brilliant! Lots of other good CDs there as well.

CDs are by far my most consumed format of music. I get vinyls but don't often get to play them - struggle with work and what not so I whilst I do buy every now and then; I just can't justify the cost. I have spotify but don't find the format the best for recommendations or looking at what is new for what i want etc. I find it quite good for playlists but it still annoys me that it doesn't have everything so would need to go elsewhere to get some tracks. 

CDs I find the most flexible and generally decent price. I've paid £15.00 for the latest Baroness album as a deluxe edition which includes unreleased live tracks and I get an expanded digipak for it as well. Definitely get the most bang for buck IMO. Currently have 2731 CDs in my collection (according to Discogs anyway + the Baroness one which isn't on Discogs yet) so yeah think its my choice of music format! :) 

• Like 2

On 04/09/2023 at 13:14, osmark86 said:

Tired as shit today because I spent way too long last night working on this psytrance epos:

https://on.soundcloud.com/9qyNs

First general mix done, might have to fix some stuff that I'll notice over time I suppose. Enjoy!

Playing catch up here, but that drum fill at 3:20 is absolute filth.  Lovely stuff.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I forgot about the new Baroness... it's been a bumper month!

Absolutely. I keep forgetting to say; but the new Pupil Slicer that came out a few months back is absolutely killer (I think it was you that previously recommended)! I didn't find Mirrors to be amazing but Blossom feels like a huge step in progression from them and is very impressive! 

• Like 1

I can now only associate Pupil Slicer with their opening patter at this year's Portals, it was something along the lines of: "They say shoegaze is coming back, yeah, I see you all in your long-sleeved shoegaze tees, well it's RUBBISH, it's never coming back!" *launches into Dillinger-esque riffs*.

I mean, I don't agree with them, but I was laughing.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I can now only associate Pupil Slicer with their opening patter at this year's Portals, it was something along the lines of: "They say shoegaze is coming back, yeah, I see you all in your long-sleeved shoegaze tees, well it's RUBBISH, it's never coming back!" *launches into Dillinger-esque riffs*.

I mean, I don't agree with them, but I was laughing.

They are supporting Employed To Serve next month (along with Going Off!) - cannot wait!

• Like 1

Hope they've reinforced the foundations of whatever venues they are playing, that is going to be loud.

We used to get ETS on the somewhat-regular in the piddly (and I do mean piddly) venue we used to have in Basingstoke (RIP Sanctuary), what with most of the band at the time being local.  It is quite something to have a juggalo attempt to crowd-surf over you in a room with the square footage of a treehouse and a height clearance that would give Ford transit drivers pause for thought.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2023 at 12:35, villa4europe said:

The national have another new album coming out

Only just noticed this. I saw someone elsewhere say they have a new album out and my immediate thought was “you’re a few months late there buddy…”

Looks like the physical version is released in November. Reviews seem positive with basically everything I’ve read suggesting it’s a livelier album than Frankenstein.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m off to Birmingham Hippodrome Saturday to watch a ballet tribute to probably the greatest heavy rock band of all time Black Sabbath . I’m hoping Mr Iommi is there as he’s had a big hand in the show. It wasn’t his idea he got approached.

Have read good things about it. It's that Carlos Acosta fellow. A dancer who knows his shit. I look forward to your report. 

• Like 1

In the car this morning, I decided to listen to Metallica. For the first time (really!) 

1. Enter Sandman (seems to be their Greatest Hit, so...) Reaction: Sounds like Deep Purple. Inoffensive. 

2. Whiskey in the Jar. Reaction: Risibly bad copy of the Thin Lizzy version. 

That was enough. Switched to some Charles Mingus. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

In the car this morning, I decided to listen to Metallica. For the first time (really!) 

1. Enter Sandman (seems to be their Greatest Hit, so...) Reaction: Sounds like Deep Purple. Inoffensive. 

Can’t see you liking their early stuff. If you were going to think anything was ok it would be off the black album which enter sandman is off . Whiskey in the jar is a bad cover .

Just now, mjmooney said:

Yep, definitely a band I don't get the adoration for. I tend to understand why styles/bands are popular and can often tell the difference between good/average/awful within tight genres even if they aren't for me but I don't get it with Metallica at all. To my ears, they'd be in the awful for the genre category but their fans think the opposite by the many millions

• Like 1

Â