Breakaway League

Jareth

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Good stuff from Palace. 

There really does seem to be a feeling of solidarity. 

It is the entirety of football versus twelve billionaires.

Wonder if Adidas will pull sponsorship? C'mon Nassef show em who's the daddy.

Super League files injunctions to stop club and player bans - BBC News

The European Super League has filed injunctions against Fifa and Uefa to try to stop them from banning clubs or players from future tournaments such as the Champions League.

In a letter to Fifa and Uefa seen by the BBC, ESL lawyers said they were concerned the footballing bodies could take "punitive measures".

It comes amid widespread criticism of ESL's decision to launch a breakaway league of top European clubs.

The BBC asked Fifa and Uefa to comment.

In the letter, ESL lawyers said: "We are concerned that Fifa and Uefa may respond to this invitation letter by seeking to take punitive measures to exclude any participating club or player from their respective competitions."

They said they would consider that "adverse reaction" to be "unlawful" and that they had filed papers with "the relevant courts" to prevent the "seamless establishment and operation of the competition in accordance with applicable laws".

An insider at the ESL said they had prepared themselves for a huge backlash and thought they were on firm legal ground with respect to competition law.

"I think in the cold light of day, they are looking at this and the reality is dawning that this is happening and it's perfectly legal."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

And pardon me, my post was out of order. 

Not at all out of order.   The problem is that they will pass it onto their kids or some other like-minded billionaire.

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

they are so unbelievably arrogant. Just put bullets in their heads of the CEOs and the lawyers who do their bidding. **** em

I think its the arrogance that is the worst thing about it, they expected to have there league and also be allowed play in domestic leagues with no issues or questions asked

Alternative Premier League champions.

Stephen Mackie clearly has too much time on his hands but his work is an amusing distraction for a moment. “That funny tweet from Wolves retrospectively claiming the 18-19 Premier League title got me thinking. Technically if you’re going to expunge the breakaway teams from the record books you also have to expunge the games they played in. Unfortunately for Wolves they did really well against the top six that season but not so well against the rest of the league, so in the revised league table they actually only finished seventh which, ironically, is exactly where they finished anyway. So instead congrats to the 18-19 Alternative Premier League Champions Watford, who picked up 47 of their 50 points that season against the other 13 teams which was enough to take the title! I’ve attached a revised list of Premier League winners if that sort of thing interests you (it does me!)” It makes nice viewing for Everton fans.

The league table with the Goddamnmuthfookingreedy6 taken out

Yay, we won 3 times.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As others have suggested, I just don't see how those 5 clubs being invited could ever work. Any big european teams won't go because it means they can't play in the Champions League.

So it'll either be random small european teams or, more likely imo, teams from the rest of the world.

Just thinking about my local MLS team playing Barcelona is laughable. Who would do that to themselves?

30 minutes ago, hippo said:

They back down - look at where they went wrong, then in a few months time try again - maybe more covertly. You won't stop money mad megalomaniacs trying to squeeze more money out of there assets - its what they do. 

They’ve destroyed their route though as the government are looking to enact legislation so whatever they will come up will not be much more than the current CL.  Any anticompetitive will a no go so a foundation member thing will not fly.  So more money maybe but no closed shop.

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They’ve destroyed their route though as the government are looking to enact legislation so whatever they will come up will not be much more than the current CL.  Any anticompetitive will a no go so a foundation member thing will not fly.  So more money maybe but no closed shop.

problem is realistically the government won't do anything. They'll talk about it for a few weeks, have a half-baked enquiry that will last a couple of years  and then move onto something else. 

• Like 1

Just now, ender4 said:

problem is realistically the government won't do anything. They'll talk about it for a few weeks, have a half-baked enquiry that will last a couple of years  and then move onto something else. 

Paul Singer and Perez will conduct the enquiry.

A couple of Norwegian law professors have written in our biggest newspaper that UEFA and/or PL can’t legally exclude/expell SL players/clubs, citing some EU court ruling in favour of a couple of Dutch speed skaters as presedence. Am I being overly arrogant in thinking these two professors are a)very naive and b)talking our their rear ends? 

I see two ways this can go,  and neither suggest that fans have any power.

One is that the ESL goes ahead, and the football brands of the clubs play out their showcase quasi sporting events like American sports via a closed shop and with many more opportunities for ad breaks, and for the benefit of the Asian markets. The teams clubs remain in their respective leagues but as a shadow of themselves, with their superstars playing in the ESL. There is an overhaul of the european competitions, and the International competitions agree that there will be no ban on ESL players. A world cup without messi and ronaldo is basically the Worthington cup from a sponsor point of view.

The other is that the ESL clubs don't move, but get a much greater piece of the pie in their leagues and european competitions because their brand carries so much more value than the other teams. The ESL is scrapped, but the rich still get richer. It's to force the hand of the FAs to give them what they've been asking for for years.

• Like 1

Just now, ender4 said:

Can’t disagree more, with the cherry on top that the public want it so extra credit points.  They will do this because they will get brownie points after a mixed covid response.  Easy win for them.  Plus most of these politicians are footy fans so will agree with the fans view.  This is a win win for them!  Expect a media show from the government on this.

• Like 2

Â