Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

I think being solid at the back and trying to win games with a couple of goals while holding possession and learning more and more to build from the back. This is good for us and hopefully we can get 9th for some additional prize money and a good momentum for next season

We’ve had the same shape for 3 matches now and it looks to have a more secure back line in the build up and then turning into the 3box3 in the final third. 

Narrow mid block 442 in defense with Buendia up top instead of Bailey. 4222 in our own and middle third with JJ and Buendia occupying the half spaces with Watkins and Bailey up top. 

3box3 in the final third with Moreno wide left and Bailey wide right. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Are we playing 4 4 2 still or 4 2 3 1? 

Depends the phase o play, we defend , transition and keep the ball in different shapes. Welcome to modern football.

19 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

We’ve had the same shape for 3 matches now and it looks to have a more secure back line in the build up and then turning into the 3box3 in the final third. 

Narrow mid block 442 in defense with Buendia up top instead of Bailey. 4222 in our own and middle third with JJ and Buendia occupying the half spaces with Watkins and Bailey up top. 

3box3 in the final third with Moreno wide left and Bailey wide right. 

So Buendia playing off Watkins and Bailey in right midfield. Cash more defensive to cover the right and Moreno attacking on left and JJ joining Buendia behind front three. 

Wonder what we'll do when Kamara is fit

Just now, CVByrne said:

So Buendia playing off Watkins and Bailey in right midfield. Cash more defensive to cover the right and Moreno attacking on left and JJ joining Buendia behind front three. 

And when R.Carlos is fit to play ?

The number of players we get in support of each other in attacking phases of play is a real plus point of the work Emery has put in. 

We had it at points under Smith and Gerrard but it seems to be consistently happening throughout a run of matches now. We'll get a lot more goals because of it. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Yep the average positions tell the tale. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kamara doesnt slot back in right away. Mcginn  played the deeper role and while he wasn’t as good progressing the ball, he was clearly up for a duel against a weak Bournemouth side. 

C9DB6E25-E2FC-4266-AE35-99E5FF6EF5CA.jpeg

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

He’s gone more for a mid block 442 instead of a more aggressive press. Previously one of the double pivots would come high to press in almost a diamond but he has the double pivot more shielding and channeling play to the sides now. 

Still a danger as there’s less pressure on the opponents fullbacks (Buendia and Watkins are asked to cover a lot of ground) so that’s why there’s more over the top balls but I think Unai is trading off a high press to a more compact mid block and asking the defenders to keep the line or track and Emi to sweep. 

Solanke still did Konsa a few times and the ball over the fullback is on but we dealt with it okay against Bournemouth and I’d say arguably West Ham though they have a little more quality on the wings. 

I think he will accept the occasional well timed over the top ball for minimizing the number of touches opponents have in our penalty area. 

Edited by DJBOB

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think our best team is:

Martinez
Cash
Mings
Konsa
Moreno
Kamara
Luiz
McGinn
Ramsey
Coutinho/Buendia
Watkins

It would be great to see Carlos come back in but Konsa not doing a lot wrong at the minute. 

It's sad to say, but Coutinho just doesnt have the energy or legs for an Emery system, the whole front line needs to work hard and Couts just seems.......fragile fitness wise?

I can see him as some form of super sub, although tbh, we would prob benefit from offloading Couts and Digne in the summer due to their wages vs impact, but i dont see anyone being able to, or willing to do so.

37 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Only watched Carlos play once,that was here in Perth in pre-season.I like Konsa.

I think we'll see all three play a game. Konsa at right back. Cash is playing defensive role and not getting forward so forming kind of a back 3 with Mings and Konsa. I think away from home the added CB in the back 3 is useful

• Like 1

Â