Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think people were kidding themselves with this belief. 

Anyone else miss proper wingers? 

Wouldn't mind when he arrived we had 4 so not like its something we dont have

Today our shape did not work vs Viera's change to 3-5-2. Palace could defend our balls over the top to Watkins/Ings comfortably with 3v2 advantage.

We needed to take advantage of the middle, Gallagher was full of energy but Luka next to him should have definitely been worked more by our diamond.

Nakamba, McGinn, Luiz was not a midfield to choose when we need to demonstrate superiority in midfield on the ball, it's functional in a game vs Liverpool but you could see the value of a stronger short passer when Nakamba came off.

We are going to have to switch seamlessly between the 4-3-1-2 and the 4-3-2-1 if this style is going to work going forward.

Today was one of those days that we need two 10s to take advantage of the space in the middle. Even though Buendia was not fit to start I honestly thought today we could have seen Chuk start.

I've never known a football club to be so static on a football pitch as Aston Villa. For as long as I can remember our movement going forward is all so predictable and safe, our complete inability to play out from the back comes from the fact that we don't seem to have any fluidity. I hope Gerrard can address this. It always feels like other teams have acres of space in our half to knock the ball about, but when we get to theirs everything is so rushed and we give away the ball so easily. 

• Like 3

Gerrard at Rangers has played different formations, 4-3-1-2 and 4-2-3-1, although he does prefer the narrow 4-3-3.  I do wonder if we had two better midfielders like Phillips and Kamara, would he be more open to a narrow 4-2-3-1.  Coutinho-Ramsay-Buendia behind a loan striker.  Ramsay being a box to box type.

39 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Gerrard at Rangers has played different formations, 4-3-1-2 and 4-2-3-1, although he does prefer the narrow 4-3-3.  I do wonder if we had two better midfielders like Phillips and Kamara, would he be more open to a narrow 4-2-3-1.  Coutinho-Ramsay-Buendia behind a loan striker.  Ramsay being a box to box type.

We're playing 5-3-2 at the moment, but only 3 players yesterday were worthy of attacking (Coutinho, Ollie & Ings), so it's just toothless and predictable. 

4-2-3-1 with both Emi B, Coutinho, Ramsey for movement and energy, with one of Ings/Watkins up top would be preferable. 

In that system with our current players, I'd love to see a Giroud type player who loves to bring others into play, unlike the selfishness of Ings/Watkins to have to shoot at every half chance (I get it, but it's not my style). 

I really struggle watching us play at the moment. 

It seems all our nice tippy tappy stuff is located 5 yards behind our half way line, when the line we need to be doing that on is the opposition penalty box. 

As soon as we are harried or pressed at all, we revert to this mode. Its infuriating. Especially as one of our most forward looking players is sat on the bench for 75 mins each game. 

What the hell is the plan supposed to be? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mister_a said:

I really struggle watching us play at the moment. 

It seems all our nice tippy tappy stuff is located 5 yards behind our half way line, when the line we need to be doing that on is the opposition penalty box. 

As soon as we are harried or pressed at all, we revert to this mode. Its infuriating. Especially as one of our most forward looking players is sat on the bench for 75 mins each game. 

What the hell is the plan supposed to be? 

We're limited by our incredibly average midfield. The nice tippy tappy stuff will find itself further up the field with Buendia and Coutinho hurting the opposition as and when we sort the midfield out. 

All of our problems both offensively and defensively stem from the midfield three. There is no balance or real quality in there - Ramsey aside. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We're limited by our incredibly average midfield. The nice tippy tappy stuff will find itself further up the field with Buendia and Coutinho hurting the opposition as and when we sort the midfield out. 

All of our problems both offensively and defensively stem from the midfield three. There is no balance or real quality in there - Ramsey aside. 

I mean, the midfield definitely needs upgraded, but that isn't going to solve the problem of the front two missing every chance going.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I cant agree yesterday we started 2 very technically limited players in midfield while Ramsey, Chambers and Sanson sat on the bench and can play midfield. Carney and young Tim also capable on the ball

We would definitely keep the ball better if McGinn didnt start but since we will never know we will continue to struggle

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I've never known a football club to be so static on a football pitch as Aston Villa. For as long as I can remember our movement going forward is all so predictable and safe, our complete inability to play out from the back comes from the fact that we don't seem to have any fluidity. I hope Gerrard can address this. It always feels like other teams have acres of space in our half to knock the ball about, but when we get to theirs everything is so rushed and we give away the ball so easily. 

Our movement has been really poor for probably 20 years now, its baffling

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I cant agree yesterday we started 2 very technically limited players in midfield while Ramsey, Chambers and Sanson sat on the bench and can play midfield. Carney and young Tim also capable on the ball

We would definitely keep the ball better if McGinn didnt start but since we will never know we will continue to struggle

Probably the the most baffling part of SG team selection is persisting with McGinn. I get he has the 'engine' Gerrard wants from a midfielder, but for Christ sake try something else, give him a rest, rotate the squad, just do something else.  I let out a sigh every time the team sheet goes up and it's the same or slightly different midfield three.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

What happened to the width!

the problem with our midfield is not the player...it maybe.

The main issue is numbers...and thats 3.

Only two teams play three in midfield and are successful and thats City and Liverpool

We have no width because we have no one to get out there....when we do we have no one in the middle for cover.

Need 5 in the middle...if that dont work..then you change the personal.

Ive been saying it for years three for leaves us open...and narrow.....i would love to be a winger against us.....at times I could take a seat the nearest player is that far away.

As someone said....yes we can play some nice tiki taka...because those three are often close too each other, the moment the game expands thats where we struggle...how many times does the ball get out wide...a player is isolated and surrounded....why....the midfield have too much ground to make up.

Luiz sits in front of the back four...so now you have two doing all the work getting out wide and trying to attack....its a number thing...get more bods in the middle and go from there.

Â