Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

41 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I think a couple might have been told to find themselves another club, maybe they won't get another look in. I would give Tim Iroegbunam 45 mins and the same for Marv. I would also try a front 3 of Bailey Coutihno and Buendia. Chambers comes in for me too. I'd see what we look like without McGinn too.

We might have an idea who that is by who's missing from the game vs. Brentford tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Thinking about it I'm not actually that interested given it's 24 hours before we play anyway. Doubt anyone involved in it will be involved or at least starting on Sat.

Next game is 23rd.

But the reports suggest it's going to be a youthful Brentford - so I imagine most players in and around the first team won't be included.

Be the largest likes of Nkamba, Traroe chuck, ibregham, Christensen - I would have thought.

I would hope that anyone who really shines in the match - may get a crack at starting v Leicester.

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

The 4-3-1-2 seems to be the best system SG has used so far, I much prefer it to the 4-3-2-1 with two 10's.  I wonder if it was altered slightly to a 4-1-3-2 with the central CM staying back as a DM, and the 10 sitting deeper in central midfield.  Luiz was advancing out of position too much to press their midfield, which should have been the AM job.

I got that impression too, or almost more of a 4-4-2 diamond formation. 

Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted anything but I thought I'd chip in, please feel free to ignore. I wish Gerrard would stop trying to get us to play through Premier League teams rather than going around them. It hasn't worked all season and the players aren't suited to it. I don't think any team other than Man City is capable of doing it consistently in the Premier League. A 4-2-3-1 formation would allow most players to play to their strengths. When he has brought in new players in the Summer he can try his preferred formation again.

Watkins                                                             Watkins

Bailey  Coutinho  Buendia                           Ramsey  Coutinho  McGinn

Nakamba  Douglas                   or                Nakamba  Douglas

Digne  Mings  Konsa  Cash                          Digne  Mings  Konsa  Cash

Martinez                                                          Martinez

With the players that we have available (Digne may need replacing by someone, but please not Ashley Young, maybe try Chrisene) it provides the maximum amount of defensive cover with our talented attackers free to play without worrying if they lose the ball. This allows players like McGinn and Bailey, maybe even Buendia to do what they do best in games and hopefully produce better performances.

Maybe a change in formation will do nothing but it can't make our results any worse. I don't know the stats but I feel like Gerrard's results are even worse and less consistent than the worst times under Dean Smith. I'm still not convinced by Gerrard and still think getting rid of Dean Smith was unjustified.

• Like 3

Villa’s image seems to be changing. Here on VT the general view is always Villa are too nice, but other fans now paint us as some sort of English version of Atletico. Violent, time wasting criminals.

This from The Athletic 🥳

9BE2F8B8-CB3F-41DC-BA86-065C129A93B2.jpeg

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Villa’s image seems to be changing. Here on VT the general view is always Villa are too nice, but other fans now paint us as some sort of English version of Atletico. Violent, time wasting criminals.

This from The Athletic 🥳

Yep has been ongoing for a while. Mings is the main culprit then a few dont like Luiz, Emi, Cash and our previous Number 10. Not sure how they view McGinn 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep has been ongoing for a while. Mings is the main culprit then a few dont like Luiz, Emi, Cash and our previous Number 10. Not sure how they view McGinn 

I’ve seen many complain about Martinez who, tbf, has the game management skills to fit right in at Atletico.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I’ve seen many complain about Martinez who, tbf, has the game management skills to fit right in at Atletico.

Liverpool fans hate him. They also said we are the worst team to visit Anfield this season as time wasting from early on

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This from The Athletic 🥳

good good I am happy with this.

kRRYAX.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/04/2022 at 18:17, sne said:

Sure, but how would you line up for the rest of the season?

Its like I say and maintain, the right players are not even in the squad, so for me there isn't a credible fix.

However, you question, I think is how do you make the best of the rest of the season.

I would use Chambers and Hause, far more than has been used and try an bolster the defence......Hause as CB and Chambers as CDM.

I would try it anyway, to see if it works.

Just now, TRO said:

Its like I say and maintain, the right players are not even in the squad, so for me there isn't a credible fix.

However, you question, I think is how do you make the best of the rest of the season.

I would use Chambers and Hause, far more than has been used and try an bolster the defence......Hause as CB and Chambers as CDM.

I would try it anyway, to see if it works.

Like this? Or would you play Nakamba as well?

Martinez

Cash Mings Hause Digne

Chambers

McGinn Ramsey 

Coutinho

Ings Watkins

Would likely make us better in the air and without the ball but worse with the ball. 

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Like this? Or would you play Nakamba as well?

Martinez

Cash Mings Hause Digne

Chambers

McGinn Ramsey 

Coutinho

Ings Watkins

Would likely make us better in the air and without the ball but worse with the ball. 

Maybe, depending if we go with a double pivot......He is worse with the ball, but not that worse to forfeit his ball winning skills.

I don't know, what his fitness state is, so never mentioned him.....I also want to see someone there who can cut out hight balls, now and again.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

Maybe, depending if we go with a double pivot......He is worse with the ball, but not that worse to forfeit his ball winning skills.

I don't know, what his fitness state is, so never mentioned him.....I also want to see someone there who can cut out hight balls, now and again.

So what would your current 11 look like and what formation?

3 hours ago, sne said:

So what would your current 11 look like and what formation?

much the same as it is, because I don't see many feasible options.....other than the ones, I have previously mentioned....chambers and Hause.

I don't necessarily think they are better players per se.....just better in the air, because aerial balls are causing us grief.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we stick with this formation, I worry as well. 

Move to a 4-2-3-1 and sign two new, defensive midfielders and we’ll be grand. 

Honestly, the way we have overlooked our midfield in the last few windows, I wouldn’t even care if we didn’t sign anyone else! 

He should really play 3421 like Brighton and Chelsea.

It's not far away from whatever we're trying at the moment, but a million times better.

4231 brings too many issues pressing the ball IMO. Especially if he wants to play Coutinho as a 10.

3421 or 433 should be two shapes we go between.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2022 at 14:48, ciggiesnbeer said:

good good I am happy with this.

kRRYAX.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Let's face it, we are never going to be popular with neutrals anyway, as proven by the pathetic love-in with all things Ipswich in 1980-81.  I'd much rather people say they think we're a dirty side than too nice.... 

On 16/04/2022 at 19:40, TRO said:

You have to have buyers to do that.....I'm not so certain we have.

but, its not, as it stands.....it needs rectification, it needs specific additions, it has holes in it, that even the dogs around Aston know about.

If he is the wrong manager, we will soon find out when he has the tools( new players to suit him) to fix

yes we all know we need a defensive midfielder but apart from that where are the holes.  there aren't really any if we play sensible formations.  in attack we have 2 decent strikers (how many years have we waited to say that).  We have decent wingers ghat aren't getting any game time.  we have attacking midfielders and decent centre mid.  we have 3 decent cb's and although we have no cover our first team full backs are good.  best keeper we've had since bosnich.  where are the holes?   we are a cdm away from top 6 contenders but we play like clueless relegation fodder.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Which ones?

Go into individual player threads, ok posters are mixed but there is consistent criticism of a few.

Personally Konsa and Mcginn for me and last few appearances maybe Ings is looking knackered and out of form.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Â