Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

43 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I would start Hause beside Mings this weekend, and play Chambers alongside Luiz, with Ramsey in front of them.

Good call, who would you play in centre of front three? Presume Coutinho and Buendia will play either side.

41 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I don't think the midfield is the problem tbh. For me, the problem lies squarely in our attack.

In the Newcastle game almost every decent chance in the box fell to our FBs. That's a failure in tactics. As a defender I'm always going to let Cash be the unmarked option. Newcastle knew exactly how to funnel the ball away from our dangerous attackers.  Worst part is I couldn't tell one thing we tried different all game. Even the subs were like for like. How can you watch that for a half and go, "Yeah things are great more of the same in the 2nd half."

I'd love.if one of our stat inclined guys could give us an idea of our form with, and without Nakamba 2.0 this season.

I keep saying it, but I think people are massively underestimating what a difference he made.in form, and why this type of player is so important for us.

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Here's a radical departure - I'm not serious about this eleven starting, but I think it says something about our shape and approach tactically that is causing us problems.

We could play:

--------------------------Martinez-----------------------

Buendia-------Chambers----Mings-------Bailey

------------Cash---------Luiz-------Digne------------

-----------------Ramsey-----Coutinho--------------

---------------------------Watkins------------------------

Which looks insane on paper, but when we have the ball in our system, suddenly looks a lot more sensible:

--------------------------Martinez------------------------

--------------Chambers-------Mings-----------------

-Cash------------------Luiz------------------Digne--

-----------------Ramsey-----Coutinho--------------

Buendia-------------Watkins---------------Bailey

Because when we attacked against Newcastle, we were often like this:

--------------------------Martinez------------------------

--------------Chambers-------Mings-----------------

--Ramsey---------------Luiz---------------McGinn--

-----------------Buendia-----Coutinho--------------

Cash-----------------Watkins----------------Digne

That for me puts a lot of players into positions where they aren't at their strongest.

If our two wider central midfielders are going to play as full back cover when we have the ball and our full backs are going to be up front, I'd rather have players that can attack well at full back and players that can cover the full back positions well in midfield; I'd sooner have Buendia and Bailey on the wings than Cash and Digne and I'd sooner have Cash and Digne covering full back positions than McGinn and Ramsey.

I realise that might sound a bit confusing but for me one of our major problems at the moment is that we're relying on the goal threat of Digne and Cash and relying on McGinn and Ramsey to cover wingers - neither of which makes whole lot of sense.

This would explain why he dropped Ramsey for Luiz earlier in the season pre Nakamba injury, we would probably benefit from a boring disciplined  3 in midfield rather than what we have.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I would start Hause beside Mings this weekend, and play Chambers alongside Luiz, with Ramsey in front of them.

Would certainly not want luiz or mcginn in the team - Sanson chambers with Ramsey ahead of them for me 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

Martinez

Cash          Konsa                Mings       Digne

Chambers

Sanson                 Ramsey

Buendia                                        Coutinho    

Ings 

Think there’s a good chance that 10 of those will start v Watford with maybe hause in for suspended konsa 

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd love.if one of our stat inclined guys could give us an idea of our form with, and without Nakamba 2.0 this season.

I keep saying it, but I think people are massively underestimating what a difference he made.in form, and why this type of player is so important for us.

Quick look at Transfermarkt says he started 8 games for us this season. Won 3 (Brighton, Palace, Leicester)  lost 5 (Watford, West Ham, Southampton, City, Liverpool). The additional 4 games he featured in we won 1 (Everton) lost 2 (Chelsea, Wolves) and drew 1 (Brentford).

The 11 games where he was injured or on the bench we won 4 (Newcastle, United, Norwich, Everton) drew 2 (United, Leeds) and lost 5 (Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Brentford, Newcastle).

All according to Transfermarkt. They might be off thou so take it for what it is. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Playing 433 under Smith we finished 11th with the points tally that would usually get 7th or 8th.

Maybe he could try that?

He has a Ramsey that is better than last season. A fit Sanson. Carney a year older. It's a better midfield than last season.

That was all down to Grealish. When  he was out injured we were more like rekegation candidates.  I dont believe the forrmation matters its down to the players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, he's played in twelve Premier League games, we've won four of those, lost seven and drawn one. So we're just over a point a game with him taking part (1.08). I guess the comparison people would want would be Luiz who has 1.26 pts per game in the nineteen Premier League games he's played in this season.

That includes a four game run where Nakamba showed a patch of form he'd given no indication of being capable of during the two and a bit years prior to it and before he suffered a really nasty knee injury. I don't think we'll see him back this season and he'd be one I'd think about moving on in the summer if we can find a buyer.

I think people overestimate him on the basis of a couple of good games prior to his injury.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Quick look at Transfermarkt says he started 8 games for us this season. Won 3 (Brighton, Palace, Leicester)  lost 5 (Watford, West Ham, Southampton, City, Liverpool). The additional 4 games he featured in we won 1 (Everton) lost 2 (Chelsea, Wolves) and drew 1 (Brentford).

The 11 games where he was injured or on the bench we won 4 (Newcastle, United, Norwich, Everton) drew 2 (United, Leeds) and lost 5 (Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Brentford, Newcastle).

All according to Transfermarkt. They might be off thou so take it for what it is. 

Why did I think the stats were much better than that for some reason?

Did we look better at least?

Or maybe it was less games than I thought.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Under Gerrard I think we are not as good without him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's different opponents (mostly), different managers and different formations. 

Do think it's a bit of the usual stuff when one of our players gets injured he's elevated to an almost mythical stature and the longer he's out the better and more important he becomes :D  Nakamba is fine and did a good job filling in when we had injuries around the time Gerrard came in but it wasn't THAT good.

We need a better player than Nakamba if we want to play with a pure DCM.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On my phone now so can't share it easily, but fbref looks at the goal difference and xG difference for a team when a player is on the pitch and compares it to when they're not playing. These stats really require vary careful reading however.

But yeah, there doesn't seem to be evidence that our team is better with Nakamba this season as a whole. In fact, the team seems quite a bit better with Luiz instead. Our goal difference was actually positive when we only count the goals scored and conceded when Luiz was on the pitch prior to the Newcastle match.

The other 2 players where I think there's good evidence that we play better with them than without is Bailey and Ramsey. Ramsey in particular is quite crucial to our team. We have a goal difference of +3 when he's played and -8 when he hasn't to help illustrate my point.

Edit: Ah sorry, I missed the fact that you were referring to Nakamba under Gerrard. These stats include his form whilst under Smith too.

However, I don't think Nakamba played enough under Gerrard for his stats to be valid anyway. The sample is a bit too small for my taste.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With Nakamba as 6 we’ve conceded 1.78 goals per game average this season. With Luiz as 6, we conceded 1.36 per game.

Nakamba had four good games before the injury, those first Gerrard games when Villa mostly played against possession-heavy sides and we defended in a tight and narrow block. That suited him, but not sure he’d thrive as much now the whole team is more spread out in shape.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

With Nakamba as 6 we’ve conceded 1.78 goals per game average this season. With Luiz as 6, we conceded 1.36 per game.

Nakamba had four good games before the injury, those first Gerrard games when Villa mostly played against possession-heavy sides and we defended in a tight and narrow block. That suited him, but not sure he’d thrive as much now the whole team is more spread out in shape.

So, we need to return to tight and narrow block. That’s sorted then.

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Martinez

Chambers

Ings 

Think hause will come in for Konsa. Thought chambers looked very clumsy v Newcastle so he wouldn't be a starter for me.

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Martinez

Chambers

Ings 

I like that, Chambers potentially could give us more steel through the middle.

Sanson and Ramsey are much more mobile.

However, Luiz has not played much in his natural position so I think he deserves a shot there.

• Like 1

Â