Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Cash wont be dropped as we dont have another right back as Konsa is still out

I think I will scream if McGinn and Watkins start vs Watford 

Cash was one of the only players who had space, time and opportunity in the final third against Newcastle. In hindsight I'd rather have had Ashley Young in his place - a guy who has shown he can cross and pick a pass.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Cash was one of the only players who had space, time and opportunity in the final third against Newcastle. In hindsight I'd rather have had Ashley Young in his place - a guy who has shown he can cross and pick a pass.

Short term - Id put young in for Digne. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'm going to say something I never thought I'd say.

But. 

Could we perhaps move to a hybrid 3-5-2 formation....?

-------------------------------------------Ings------------------------------------------
---------------------------Coutinho--------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------Buendia--------------------------------
--------------------Ramsey------------------------------------Luiz----------------
Digne--------------------------------------------------------------------------Cash
---------------------Mings---------Chambers------Konsa-------------------
------------------------------------Martinez------------------------------------------

It's madness I know. 

It's only really one change away from how we're playing at the moment and makes a lot of sense. Luiz is playing as a hybrid DM/third CB for much of the time which is why I think he's become so ponderous on the ball. Maybe Chambers can play this role better. Would still drop Luiz for Sanson though - even if it's further up the pitch.

5 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

It's only really one change away from how we're playing at the moment and makes a lot of sense. Luiz is playing as a hybrid DM/third CB for much of the time which is why I think he's become so ponderous on the ball. Maybe Chambers can play this role better. Would still drop Luiz for Sanson though - even if it's further up the pitch.

Could be worth trying.  I know we didn't look great with a back 3 under DS but we didn't have chambers then, he can step up into DM when in possession to allow DL to advance forward.

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Short term - Id put young in for Digne. 

Not a chance. Digne has been very good apart from the Newcastle match (where everybody bar Mings was absolutely appalling). 

We're not signing players on 120k a week to put them on the bench. Ings aside of course!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not a chance. Digne has been very good apart from the Newcastle match (where everybody bar Mings was absolutely appalling). 

We're not signing players on 120k a week to put them on the bench. Ings aside of course!

I thought Digne did OK second half, only hope of a goal seemed to be him and Coutinho. 

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cash wont be dropped as we dont have another right back as Konsa is still out

I think I will scream if McGinn and Watkins start vs Watford 

Cash is pretty much untouchable atm it’s not a great position to be in, and I don’t want to see chambers there. Agreed on Mcginn and Ollie. Sanson and Ings will be in disbelief if they’re on the bench again Saturday 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Cash is pretty much untouchable atm it’s not a great position to be in, and I don’t want to see chambers there. Agreed on Mcginn and Ollie. Sanson and Ings will be in disbelief if they’re on the bench again Saturday 

Ashley Young can play there.

Our squad is largely made up of midtable players, and midtable form is the kind of form we've showed since Gerrard came in. Very few of our squad would make the starting eleven of a top six side, not many of them would get in a top six squad at all. I know people will point to the likes of Wolves and West Ham but they're the kind of teams that will have a good season or two before falling down the table again like so many similar sized clubs have done before them, I think our owners are ambitious and want more than that, they don't want us to have a one off season where we get into the top six or seven, they want to us to become an established part of it and will see to it that we sign some truley wonderful players to help their vision become a reality..

Edited by useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Might be worth Gerrard accepting he doesn't have the personnel for the tactics and style he wants to play. He could call time on the formation for now and revert to a 4 2 3 1 to finish out the season. Coutinho Ramsey Buendia behind Ings and have the full backs a little more restrained. We can then mix up building from the back with direct balls into the wide channels. A half way house of evolution between our most successful formation which best covers our weakness in midfield by playing 2 holding players behind an AMC. Then come summer and a full pre season we can get rid of the McGinn, Luiz, Watkins, Mings, Konsa core with a 3/4 new signings that fit the way Gerrard wants to play. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Might be worth Gerrard accepting he doesn't have the personnel for the tactics and style he wants to play. He could call time on the formation for now and revert to a 4 2 3 1 to finish out the season. Coutinho Ramsey Buendia behind Ings and have the full backs a little more restrained. We can then mix up building from the back with direct balls into the wide channels. A half way house of evolution between our most successful formation which best covers our weakness in midfield by playing 2 holding players behind an AMC. Then come summer and a full pre season we can get rid of the McGinn, Luiz, Watkins, Mings, Konsa core with a 3/4 new signings that fit the way Gerrard wants to play. 

Or, if we keep Coutinho a bit more centrally and allow Digne to keep going past him on the outside to create the width. While on the right side we don't ask the same of Cash, we get Buendia to give us the width there. This way we shore up midfield a bit more instead of having them spread so wide, there are less gaps.

Gerrard didn't always play the same system in midfield at Rangers, often he'd drop Aribo from the front three and play him as part of their midfield three as an attacking midfielder. Closest player we have to Aribo in terms of style of play is probably Chukwuemeka. I wouldn't be surprised if we do something like that against Watford, Ramsey as No.8, and Chukwuemeka in there with a bit more license to get forward.

The problem we have, and I think it's glaringly obvious, is that we can't beat the opposition press and properly play out from the back. We get ourselves into all sorts of trouble trying to be clever and we don't have the players to do it. Our centre halves and central midfielders aren't comfortable enough doing it and we just end up whacking it long.

Going into the Summer, we need players who are much more comfortable on the ball than the ones we have now. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

The problem we have, and I think it's glaringly obvious, is that we can't beat the opposition press and properly play out from the back. We get ourselves into all sorts of trouble trying to be clever and we don't have the players to do it. Our centre halves and central midfielders aren't comfortable enough doing it and we just end up whacking it long.

Going into the Summer, we need players who are much more comfortable on the ball than the ones we have now. 

nail on the head! It was a problem under Smith and is still a  problem under Gerrard

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

100% agree. That's because we don't have the players to do that. Midfield and CBs aren't capable of doing that. Three new players in CM/CB and 2 outgoings is critical this summer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Buendia was shouting at the coaches, Beale and Gerrard that the midfield were not passing the ball. We were just doing long balls from the back. We need 2 new CMs and a new CB this summer who we know can play the system. 

blimey, i didnt see that, was he?!!?

On 09/02/2022 at 23:25, hippo said:

Exactly.

If he can't get a tune of players who are mostly internationals or borderline internationals - where do we go from here ?

A major rebuild in the summer ? - certainly the defence looks an issue - but buying better than we have will be damm expensive.  Feel sure than any of defenders would get another prem club with ease.  I don't think it's the personnel.

but if you have a team full of internationals, who are all attack minded and not defensive minded.....It kinda negates the issue.

its all right having internationals, but we need balance and we are short of it.

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

100% agree. That's because we don't have the players to do that. Midfield and CBs aren't capable of doing that. Three new players in CM/CB and 2 outgoings is critical this summer.

Its been around for a while....but it should be increasingly obvious to all and sundry.

but to exasperate the problem, we have c 4/5 players bang out of form.

6 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

There is negative, and there is ineffective. I’m sorry, but you can’t accuse the manager of being negative. We haven’t once played a negative formation, or played defensive players out of position. The most defensive thing he has done is play Nakamba regularly when he was fit in midfield.

Yes its anything but negative. A back 4 with two attacking fullbacks. A midfield who are not defensively minded and three attackers. 

Â